Game-Labs Forum

What beats the USS constitution?

Destraex

From your statement I am unsure if your saying that the US won the war of 1812 or was winning it till the British sat up and took notice. Clearly the US lost that war as their invasion of Canada was defeated.

I would disagree that the Constitution was the greatest wooden ship ever built, far from it in fact. I do agree with your sentiment about how great it would be to sail on any of these ships.

Not to get off topic, but the subject of the United States losing the war is a larger subject than I previously thought.  Any number of Canadians I've met are firmly convinced the United States lost the war whereas we Americans consider it a victory.  I guess it could be stated that the United States lost the war by being defeated in Canada.  The British were facing anti-war sentiment at home after the defeat of Napoleon and their original goals on the sea were rendered moot by the former.  With no further reason to war with the United States, both sides agreed on a peace that began what is today one of the strongest alliances in the world.  The fact that the borders were redrawn to pre-war lines indicates that neither side was really willing to continue fighting.  

I further guess you could say that neither nation won the war, and the war was little more a brief skirmish by a growing nation seeking to gain respect from its former mother country.  There's more to it than that to be sure, but that's for another topic.

As for the Connie being the greatest wooden warship ever built.  Certainly not.  The greatest American wooden ship ever built?  That's a case to be taken seriously.

Any number of Canadians I've met are firmly convinced the United States lost the war whereas we Americans consider it a victory.

Since when do Americans consider it a victory? It's usually acknowledged as an indecisive waste of time that left the U.S. battered militarily and the British embarrassed. 

We got our freaking capital burnt. Who's calling that victory? Because we took a few frigates and won a battle after peace had been signed?

• Like 1

Not to get off topic, but the subject of the United States losing the war is a larger subject than I previously thought.  Any number of Canadians I've met are firmly convinced the United States lost the war whereas we Americans consider it a victory.  I guess it could be stated that the United States lost the war by being defeated in Canada.  The British were facing anti-war sentiment at home after the defeat of Napoleon and their original goals on the sea were rendered moot by the former.  With no further reason to war with the United States, both sides agreed on a peace that began what is today one of the strongest alliances in the world.  The fact that the borders were redrawn to pre-war lines indicates that neither side was really willing to continue fighting.  

I further guess you could say that neither nation won the war, and the war was little more a brief skirmish by a growing nation seeking to gain respect from its former mother country.  There's more to it than that to be sure, but that's for another topic.

As for the Connie being the greatest wooden warship ever built.  Certainly not.  The greatest American wooden ship ever built?  That's a case to be taken seriously.

The war was begun by America with the intent to invade Canada as well as other reasons. Since that invasion was a dismal failure I think its fairly clear they did lose the war. Some commentators point out the British defeat at New Orleans  but in reality since the peace had already been signed, New Orleans did not influence events at all, other than to bloody the British force involved. Had they taken it they would have had to hand it back anyway.

Since when do Americans consider it a victory? It's usually acknowledged as an indecisive waste of time that left the U.S. battered militarily and the British embarrassed. 

We got our freaking capital burnt. Who's calling that victory? Because we took a few frigates and won a battle after peace had been signed?

It could have been worse.  If not for the atmosphere in Britain, we'd have the Union Jack flying in every state.

Americans have this insufferable trait to refuse to accept defeat, or have you forgotten that?

Wars are about trade.

The 1812 is no different and the sea war was no different. The USS Constitution was a statement and a darn good one. Nothing is unbeatable but the Ironsides it was a shock&awe weapon, plus it was well commanded.

• Like 1