Game-Labs Forum

Honestly I am not sure why the Fayetteville is such a good weapon in the game.  It was really just another 1855 musket derivative like the springfields and richmonds.  They should all perform pretty much the same.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2017 at 6:03 PM, Bigjku said:

Honestly I am not sure why the Fayetteville is such a good weapon in the game.  It was really just another 1855 musket derivative like the springfields and richmonds.  They should all perform pretty much the same.

Direct quote from the period:

It is much the same in general appearance, as the U.S. rifle for some years made at Harper’s Ferry and at Springfield, Mass.; but for certain improvements, in the matter of sword bayonet, Maynard primer, and perfection of finish in all parts, it must be pronounced very superior. The back sights are set for 800 and 500 yards.

Altogether, we think it the handsomest specimen of small arms, rifle or musket, we have ever seen-reflecting the greatest credit upon all concerned with its manufacture."

The problem only arises when you use the Brigade Merge exploit and turn a 150 man unit weilding Fayettevills into a monster 2,500 man brigade by combining it was a 2,350 man unit carrying Farmers. But, that works also for the Henry's, so turn about is fair play. . 

I don't doubt that it was better but this is a fractional improvement on other similar rifles.  It is using the same barrel and likely using ammunition of much poorer quality than most union weapons of the time.

There really shouldn't be any noticeable difference between all the post 1855 muskets made in the US or CSA.  The key dimensions and specs are all pretty much identical.  Their performance is going to be pretty much identical.

This really isn't ideal for game purposes I guess but honestly there should be no firepower revolution waiting for the CSA player.  They just couldn't do it.

The union player on the other hand should be able to, if they really wanted, cultivate a market in things like the Spencer or Henry by buying them aggressively.  I generally have less of these weapons with the union than I capture playing as the CSA.

I feel like one of the playing modes for a union player would be to have say one corps maybe two with repeaters if you focus on it and sacrifice by having your other forces not be nearly as well equipped.  But that doesn't appear to work out.

• Like 1