Game-Labs Forum

Titles of Bravery or otherwise Exceptional feats

A system of rewards that could be thought of is that of Titles.

A captain shall be awarded titles according to feats on his area of expertise and if meaningful to National hero status - Surcouf's Légion d'Honneur as an example.

Pertaining time and rewards being brought up by players this could be explored and developed further as an idea or scrapped :)

So Navy and Maritime awards could be devised so to reward all playstyles, from trader/smuggler, ship architect and post navy officers / sea rovers.

It would obey certain rules, as awards usually do in military and civilian instances.

- Title to be granted to the Captain and fixed to the ship be used when achieving such honor.

- Title shall be optionally displayed as extra information in the OW box and in overhead UI in battle when Captain is commanding the same ship as was when honours were won.

- Title also awards a special and easily identifiable Ensign to be hoisted atop the masts ( if possible )

- Title is lost if durability of entitled ship is lost.

- Titles cannot be captured or transferred. ( example, by trading or giving the ship )

Examples:

- "Hero of Pampatar" - As a ship in the line of battle in the Port conquest for the port. First to board an enemy vessel. Must board three enemy vessels and survive.

- "Bay Area King" - Smuggler extraordinaire of mahogany from Honduras. Must smuggle out ( pertains use of smuggler flag ) said wood, consistently, from region at Honduras back to Capital region and sell in the shop ( no contracts ).

______________ captains & ships ________________

My point regarding that is that ships names had, in many point in history, as much, or more, reputation than the captains.

- Indefatigable

- Revenge

- Clarisse, Confiance

- Constitution

- etc

But is is also captains can have several Awards to different ships now looking to a more game situation.

It can be expanded to cover the non-captain too, something like Naval Architect Extraordinaire for a crafter.

________ unexpected / easter eggs _______________

They shouldn't be lists but dynamically awarded, unexpected, like a fantastic reward and "impossible" to pursue/farm given we can't known which titles there are ( if possible within the code )

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

I have one for @Hethwill: "The Nice Guy" ;)

I already have mine since long ago, courtesy of @pietjenoob Harmless Heth, so there you go :)

My basic idea is something that can't be grinded and can be lost and can be awarded by doing what one likes the most, from PBs to simple trade.

• Like 1

Seen this a couple of times before, i know it was discussed at some point. Either forgotten or rejected, likely the latter.

Thr main problem was the ability to be farmed. Which, also is this proposal, is not adressed or solved. Until that is fixed, i would not expect anything to come of this.

• Like 2

In game I really wish we had a reputation system aside from the RvR stuff.   This could be a good replacement for say the smuggler flag function.  I'll use my main char as an example.

Sir Texas Sir:   Pirate Curse Former US national at one time.

I have been killed many a US/Brit/Dutch players as we are mostly at war with them.  Though over the year I have also killed a few French/Swede/Spain chars too, but there numbers are very small.   I would have a HIGH reputation as a pirate against the US/BRIT/DUTCH to the effect I couldn't even prob trade in those ports cause I have sunk countless numbers of there players and traders both Real and AI.   They would be out to kill me on site and to do such would reward them with boosted XP/Credits.  Now when you go look at the French and Swedes I have moderate reputation with them against there Navy, but I really never taken any of there traders.   So I could use there trade ports, but I would be fair game for hunt but given normal xp/credits.  As for Spain....they prob don't have a clue who I am other than that one poor new player I didn't mean to grape to death (back when the mechanics can kill all crew).  So I would have little to no reputation with them.  Now your reputation can also go up and down if you kill ships of one nation is at war with.  So things like that.   Maybe have titles for each level that your rep level gets to good or bad.

Since I'm a former US player I would be even more hated by that nation with a bigger bounty for any of it's players that kill me.

18 hours ago, Hethwill said:

I already have mine since long ago, courtesy of @pietjenoob Harmless Heth, so there you go :)

My basic idea is something that can't be grinded and can be lost and can be awarded by doing what one likes the most, from PBs to simple trade.

its my pleasure to help u with 'nicknames', Hethwill

• Like 1