Game-Labs Forum

Floating debris

Naval action, without a doubt is one of the most visually spectacular game I've ever played. There's nothing like unleashing a full broadside on an enemy and watching as sparks and wood fly everywhere. The looks of the wood and debris of the ship flying everywhere after being hit looks amazing.However, once that debris has finished flying through the sky, it disappears

That is why I'm purposing that the debris and wood that are knocked and sent flying off the ship, remain floating on the water

Anyone who has played games such a Empire or napoleon total war will know what I'm talking about. Pieces of wood that is blown off the ship, floats on the water

battle-of-trafalgar.jpg

The_Battle_of_Trafalgar_by_William_Clark

As seen in there pictures, there is floating debris of the ship

you should also find cargo and crew or prisoners in the debris too

no no no no....

This is not Black Sails.... no magical loot by passing of debris... Cargo was secured deep in the hull... As for prisoners, very few crew knew how to swin so i really wonder how many time historically a ship would haul someone from the other ship mid-battle....

no no no no....

This is not Black Sails.... no magical loot by passing of debris... Cargo was secured deep in the hull... As for prisoners, very few crew knew how to swin so i really wonder how many time historically a ship would haul someone from the other ship mid-battle....

No. I mean during battles. When you broadside someone, you can see wood and splinters flying through the air. I want to see those bits of wood and splinter float on the water.

So at the end of a battle, the water is littered with destroyed bits of ship and wood

I don't want some magical pick-up loot thing.

Edited by Triahx
  • Like 1

Are you saying captains did not have to pay for repairs to their ships IRL? True, but would you prefer there be a limited amount of ships in the game and some admiralty distributing them to you based on your status as a noble and abilities as a captain?

You have to set limits on just how realistic you want a game to be, but shooting a ship 'till it sinks and then boxes of magic loot popping out is a little too arcade-y in my book. There's games like Windward for that (which is really fun, but completely different).

In the end it's all a matter of opinion anyway, but I sure hope we'll never see anything like it in-game.

• Like 1

From a visual perspective it'd be nice, but I'd prefer it much more if there was useful salvage in the debris. The game seems a little too one sidedly focused on capturing right now. 

Oh please no. We don't want to sink ships then have magic pieces of cargo flat back to the top

• Like 1

Along the same general thought - I was wondering whether we should have rafts to sail back to port after a defeat.  Would be kind of cool.  No resurrections - just paddle back to port.  Granted - that would be painful if one is far from land...

You have to set limits on just how realistic you want a game to be, but shooting a ship 'till it sinks and then boxes of magic loot popping out is a little too arcade-y in my book. There's games like Windward for that (which is really fun, but completely different).

Who said anything about magic boxes floating out of the ship?

How about when a ship is so badly damaged that it can't possibly be made seaworthy again the crew abandons the ship, and you can pick up prisoners from hunting down the rowboats, or pull alongside the ship to plunder the purser's coffers, raid the infirmary, grab the maps and charts and loot the officer's quarters before it goes down? 

For that matter, how about a more realistic implementation of boarding actions where pulling your ship alongside the enemy isn't the only way to board someone, but you also have the option of using marines in rowboats to board?

There are plenty of ways in which they could give the game more options to get some loot than just one singular formula you have to follow to get anything. 

Edited by Aetrion

Who said anything about magic boxes floating out of the ship?

How about when a ship is so badly damaged that it can't possibly be made seaworthy again the crew abandons the ship, and you can pick up prisoners from hunting down the rowboats, or pull alongside the ship to plunder the purser's coffers, raid the infirmary, grab the maps and charts and loot the officer's quarters before it goes down? 

For that matter, how about a more realistic implementation of boarding actions where pulling your ship alongside the enemy isn't the only way to board someone, but you also have the option of using marines in rowboats to board?

There are plenty of ways in which they could give the game more options to get some loot than just one singular formula you have to follow to get anything. 

What you're describing sounds more like an action game. Also, why would I want to send my crew onto a sinking ship to check for stuff? It's sinking, why would I risk the crew

Why would I risk the crew by sending it onto a ship that's full of enemies?

The system as it is is neither realistic nor adequately complex for something that determines 100% of whether or not you get a meaningful reward for a battle. 

Edited by Aetrion

Why would I risk the crew by sending it onto a ship that's full of enemies?

The system as it is is neither realistic nor adequately complex for something that determines 100% of whether or not you get a meaningful reward for a battle. 

Because boarding actually happened a lot in real life and was an actual tactic. unlike sending your crew onto a sinking ship, like you're suggesting

Because boarding actually happened a lot in real life and was an actual tactic. unlike sending your crew onto a sinking ship, like you're suggesting

Boarding ships with rowboats also happened a lot in real life.

More ships got captured while they were in a harbor than while they were at sea in real life.

Ships offering their surrender because staying alive was more important than XP also happened a lot in real life. 

Grapeshot could not be used to kill everyone on a ship while leaving the ship completely intact in real life.

These "real life" arguments are idiotic. This game doesn't resemble real life in any way. It completely ignores all realism when it comes to making sure you can fight a dozen naval battles in a play session and not spend most of your time just sailing somewhere, but nobody is making a stink over that despite the fact that it's done for the exact same reason - making for a fun game - as when people say there should be more ways to capture an enemy ship than play that awful minigame.

Edited by Aetrion