Breadth: 40' 6"     French Feet (Pied du Roi)         13.1544 meters
Depth in Hold: 20'   French Feet (Pied du Roi)  or     6.496 meters
Burthen:  1,100Ton 

Guns:

Lower Gun Deck: 26x French 24-Pounder

Upper Gun Deck:28x French 12-Pounder

Quarterdeck/Forecastle: 10x French 6-Pounder

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=2209

Sources,images and models:http://mnm.webmuseo.com/ws/musee-national-marine/app/collection/record/8954?vc=ePkH4LF7w6yelGA1iKEBqKYiPoXoE53kUgKAFqBWpkYWpmi1rqElvAqHKycYcwC6ikZc

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art%C3%A9sien

Monographie: http://ancre.fr/en/monographies-en/48-monographie-de-l-artesien-vaisseau-64-canons-1764.html

PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5x0hl7uhn90bno/Artesien.pdf?dl=0

Thank you LeBoiteux!

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 1

She would be a nice 4th rate to be sure. But with the Commerce due out, I'd like to see more representation in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rate lists by minor seafaring nations.

I would love to see more ships from minor factions like Portugal,Venice,Germany,Greece(the Dutch,Danes,Spanish and Swedes will definetely get more ships in the game) etc as well, but the people who contribute are very limited and the ones who care even less. You will find many of my threads were i ask for some help for plans or info(especially lately on my portuguese ships) unanswered,eventually almost talking to myself.

When i post ships that are mildly or slightly out of timeframe everybody is keen to remind me that they are out of the proposed timeframe.At the same time they are the ones that want variety yet do nothing about it or only promote ships from their own country.If you(not you personally) want more ships from underepresented nations you have to be more forgiving with the timeframe(obviously with balance in mind) and stop with the lobbying.

She's no 4th rate. But rather the smaller type of 3rd rate. (Equivalent to Agamemnon). 4th rates were 50 gun or so two deck line of battle vessels, of less combat power than the larger frigates.

I know what she is, historically, but you have to keep in mind where the devs will place her in the game with her current gun layout.  64 guns in the current game meta is a 4th rate, not a 3rd rate.  If she was introduced into the game as a 64 gun 3rd rate, she'd be at a severe disadvantage against the Bellona.  She's closer to the Ingermanland if anything.

And Sella, I know all too well where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to put you down at all, keep trying man. :)

• Like 1

I like her, although I don't know if that is due to the paint-scheme (I tend to prefer dark and natural wood colors on ships).  However, she would be out gunned by the 64-gun Agamemnon (Eggs-and-Bacon) due to only having 12 pounders on her second deck.  

I know what she is, historically, but you have to keep in mind where the devs will place her in the game with her current gun layout.  64 guns in the current game meta is a 4th rate, not a 3rd rate.  If she was introduced into the game as a 64 gun 3rd rate, she'd be at a severe disadvantage against the Bellona.  She's closer to the Ingermanland if anything.

And Sella, I know all too well where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to put you down at all, keep trying man. :)

Rating systems are complicated (like a 3 decked 80-gun ship is a second rate while a 2 decked 80-gun ship is a third rate) and differ for each nation (for the Dutch, and 80-gun ship is a first rate), however, 64-gun ships of the line are third rates in the widely accepted British rating system.  Also, the Ingermanland is a 64-gun third rate, as well as the Agamennon.  So yes, currently the 64-gun line is pretty filled.  The Bellona however will be balanced, particularity after the addition of the 80-gun Bucentaure.

Yes, there is a gap between 64's and 74's, but the real difference will be in maneuverability.  64's maneuvered a lot better than her heavier cousins, thus are less dependent off of the standard line-ahead formations.  They can operate more independently as they will still out class frigates with firepower and armor.  Many 64's operated with frigate squadrons.

So, in the end, 64's are mulit-purpose ships, able to fight in the line with significant firepower, independently, and with frigates.  To be honest, we need these kinds of ships in the game.

Ingermanland is a 62 gunner and not released yet. Thats right.

To say the lineup for 64s is filled when there is no choice between at least two ships is not fair.

The only lineup I consider finished are the 1st rates once "Le Commerce de Marseille" is finished.

The gap between 64 and 74 wont be too big in game.

Ingermanland mounts 32s in the main battery whilst our 3rd rate only has 24s. Bellona can have 32s and toward her and that gap is quite considerable.

If Ingermanland comes ingame as she was she will be slower, worse turning and has a very noticable lack in HP compared to a 74 gunner.

But she will have one more dura and will be cheaper to produce. Likely even cheaper than a Constitution. (I hope)

• Like 1

If Ingermanland comes ingame as she was she will be slower, worse turning and has a very noticable lack in HP compared to a 74 gunner.

Ingermanland's an old ship, though. I'd imagine (though I could be wrong) that a 64 from later in the 1700s would stand a better chance against a 74-gun ship like Bellona. 

• 8 months later...