Game-Labs Forum

The First Gameplay Video

Nick Thomadis

Wow, I only have the time to watch a few minutes, but it's better than I could ever imagine! It's just so fluid! And firing on the move... it's just so much better than anything I've seen before. Really, really cannot wait to see Early Access... :D

This is absolutely brilliant!  My only concern is about the game speed, which judging by the in game clock in the film is about 6 seconds actual time per simulated minute - or X10 speed.  I really hope the game speed can be chosen by the player.  There is so much going and so much can be missed.  Personally I would like the option for real-time allowing me to make real time judgements & decisions as the events unfold.  I would also find it more tense, dramatic & real rather than pausing all the time to catch up with the overload of events - But of course this is my personal taste - the speed should be chosen by the player, I hope it is.  Anyway I cant wait for early access, this will be a masterpiece!

• Like 1

Good, comprehensive video, even if it's just the first AAR again, in video form. I particularly appreciate the arrows and narrating text.

I too do think the game pace could be reduced a bit.

• Like 1

I'm impressed too - the AI looks like it's beyond anything I've EVER seen before!

I'd like to join JamesL and his input regarding the speed, as I too hope, that this will sped down.
Recently experience from playing RomeII have ruined a lot, as there's not enough time to plan and execute your strategy - the will be even more urgent because of the impressive AI in this game.

Also I really hope, that you'll be able to include scarring of the countryside as the battle rolls across the map.
This will improve immersion.

• Like 1

The big problem with a slower pace is that when you get experienced with the gameplay, then it looks so... slow, especially in moments with less or no action (armies are deployed, reinforcements arrive, etc.). We still struggle to find the best choice.

Have also in mind that, for not destructing the video flaw, it was captured without the use of "pause" at all. Perhaps this increases the speed feeling of the battle pace.  

Looks really great! Can't wait.

A suggestion on terrain: have you considered increasing the vertical exagerration to make those ridges a little more obvious? I'd try doubling it and see how it looks.

Just out of curiosity, how is the terrain rendered? Is it a 3D mesh with the texture wrapped over it or simply a 2D plane? I'm wondering how difficult it is to accurately perceive the 'depth' of the map and the accurate height of units. 

• Like 1

Quote Hussar - "The big problem with a slower pace is that when you get experienced with gameplay then it looks so...slow, especially in moments with less or no action (armies are deployed, reinforcements arrive ect) We still struggle to find the best choice."

Hussar - good point.  But would not variable game speed as an Option so players can Choose the speed most suited to them be the best design choice of all?

(ps - bit baffled, how does one work the quote system on this forum?)

• Like 1

Looked very fun, although the pace felt very fast. This was subject to change as far as I understood. Is pausable realtime in the game, meaning I can pause and issue orders with appropriate interface feedback?

It looks great except for a couple things. It seems a little too fast for my liking and I don't like the modern looking UI. The unit icons are fine, but the rest of the UI looks out of place to me.

The developers have already stated it's tricky finding a balance between realistic speed, and a speed that allows the game to flow correctly. 

I'd say the UI is temporary, since it looks awfully similar to the default Unity interface. Not sure though. 

• Like 1

As in all of these linear fighting computer games the formations often tend to break apart frequently and can look like masses of men rather than brigades having individual units struggle to maintain position.  I wonder how it would appear if "companies" would lag or surge in relationship to the entire unit rather than individual soldiers. 

Video looks great, but as most have said, the pace is a bit too fast for my liking. I'm pleased that we can issue orders whilst paused and then see what happens (I do this in TW anyway), but I would love a variable speed so I can issue orders in "real time".  JamesL made a good point - if the speed is variable everyone can pick what suits them. Part of the enjoyment for me will be to watch the battle unfolding which means for me, it needs to go slower or I'll miss the action. 

Apart from that, it looks so cool. Love the cannon smoke. :)

Everything looks and sounds great.  I only have a couple concerns; 1)The battle looks too fluid.  Constant moving, units firing while moving, etc.. 2)Im assuming there is no friendly fire casualties, I would suggest changing that.  Other than those 2 opinions, I think it looks awesome.

Everything looks and sounds great.  I only have a couple concerns; 1)The battle looks too fluid.  Constant moving, units firing while moving, etc.. 2)Im assuming there is no friendly fire casualties, I would suggest changing that.  Other than those 2 opinions, I think it looks awesome.

Units firing on the move is a good thing. Certainly makes the game feel more life-like compared to the incredibly mechanical Total War series.