Game-Labs Forum

Renown and fame ranking

The more i think about the xp and rank progression, the more i'm under the impression that they aren't the best way to follow our progression in game. Starting as midshipman to rise in rank and finally become admiral seem ok, until you realize that in the end, the game will be full of admirals with very few captains.

What we are playing, is the role of a Captain, do we really need to rise in rank? I don't think so.

Instead of earning xp to rise in rank, why not earn renown to rise in Fame rank? Starting unknown, then, with every accomplishment, become more and more famous, thus earning more respect from the admiralty, ability to handle more men, and being given more prestigious commands, even though you're still just being a Captain ?

In fact it wouldn't change a thing to the current game mechanisms, just the names, it would just replace "xp" in interface with "Renown", and instead of having "Ranks", we would have "Fame" with, for example :

midshipman => Unknown

ensign => Barely known

junior lieutenant => Known

lieutenant => Recognized

master and comander => Well known

post captain => Renowned

flag captain => Famous

commodore => Heroic

rear admiral => Legendary

Edited by hoarmurath
  • Like 2

Each rank should give some skill bonuses and unlock access to ships and mods. 

You can make the same for fame ranks, as i said, the most renowned is your captain, the more the admiralty is to give access to better ships and equipment, and to pick better crew and officers...

In fact it doesn't change anything, excepted the rank names displayed...

Edited by hoarmurath

I think there needs to be more than just "rank" for players, especially pirates. There does need to be some sore of system that tracks A: experience and B: Renown.

However, the idea of "Fame" (not XP) I think needs to be a separate  area. I can rise up in rank by just harassing trade brigs all day (which I did), not exactly the fame inducing line charges of Trafalgar or the heroism of Decatur. 

I suggested forms of Notoriety, Infamy, and "Heat" a while back that goes along similar lines.

• Like 1

Each rank should give some skill bonuses and unlock access to ships and mods.

I'm extremely wary about this.

If a new guy comes along and he learns fast, I want him to be able to beat me - not just be beat by my ground up bonuses almost by default.

Some bonuses are fine, the safest course is to limit them to soft stats like, but not limited to; rudder halftime (not ship turnrate), aimtime (not actual gun dispersion), yard "speed" (not ship speed) and so on.

• Like 1