Game-Labs Forum

Slave trade

I have been trying to think of different ´game layers´ that could be added to the current build to add gameplay and immersion depth, and one of the first things that came to mind, largely because of its suspicious absence from the game so far, is the slave trade.

This is a mature game, for mature minded individuals, so I think we can all take for granted that my suggestion is not one of trivialising the slave trade. On the contrary, within this mature and educated environment I believe that having slaves as a trade-able resource in the game would be the right and honourable thing to do considering we are enjoying all other aspects of this sometimes ugly history, and will also add another psychological layer to an otherwise, sometimes, sterile simulation experience. They could be a high-cost, high-reward resource with ´perishability´, i.e. the longer you spend at sea the more of the slaves die, perhaps even adding in factors such as the less space you have left in the hold, the quicker they die.

I don´t think I have to bore everyone with details of how this would add many interesting things to the game via emergent gameplay, as is always the case with psychological/emotional game layers, hopefully this will just make sense to people. The very last thing we should be doing, is whitewashing history.

Edited by Callaghan
  • Like 1

Why slaves? In game terms, slaves would just be a commodity (since they surely wouldn't make players deal with actual horrible realities of the slave trade), so why not replace them with another commodity: Kinder Eggs. New world plantations can demand Kinder Eggs to motivate their workers. No Kinder Eggs and the plantation system fails. The longer you take to deliver the Kinder Eggs, the more they melt, cutting into your profits.

I believe that having slaves as a trade-able resource in the game would be the right and honourable thing to do considering we are enjoying all other aspects of this sometimes ugly history.

I don't "enjoy" slavery.

Admin said : Slavery ? No way.

Edited by LeBoiteux