Game-Labs Forum

Add lantern to the back of the ship for night action

Add lantern to the back of the ship. Many players complain night is too dark, so let them illuminate the sail and also be able to spot ships in the distance. This will enable night hunting and fights. Player should be able to turn it on or off. Light up time could be up to 10 seconds. Extinguishing is instant.  

Surprise_Const156_lrg.jpg

• Like 6

But who would want be seen at night in war state?

How it will enable night hunts if all prey, in their sane mind will turn off their lights.

Anyway I see ships much better at night when the white of sails is not camouflaged with the white of clouds or mist. And that lanterns are so ugly...

Ohwell.. in wartime it was ordered to keep the ship's lanterns "off". (whatever the term idk)

Thats practical use since you dont want to be spotted first.

Even in nighttime I can spot ships wich just got rendered on my screen.

I think illuminated ships make it too easy.

Or maybe go this way:

Make it optional. A group of players can illuminate to show positions.

could light laterns sail for a minute one direction turn off laterns sail different direction.. could be used to dodge prey too ;)

Good thought sir! Anyway, the sails are pretty visible in the night. In the instant he see the light, he know where to look at.

• 3 weeks later...

Night is not dark enough for lanterns to be a meaningful gameplay element. Given our not so dark night, I still don't want my ship to be any easier to spot just for the sake of a nice effect. Either make them meaningful, or don't waste time and resources on such a feature.

• Like 1