Game-Labs Forum

Trainsim 2015

Sir Cloudsley-Shovell

I am also 100% a Steam guy.I have virtually all the Steam Locos available(apart from the American monstrocities) along with the Steam Sounds Supreme Loco Enhancement pack.The Someret and Dorset is a very good route.I am also awaiting the Brittannia Class(i think SSS will be doing a sound pack for that).Have you tried the 9F?Its a real beast of a loco.One of my faves is the Fowler Compound loco from Digital Traction,its a quirky little loco and great fun to drive.

I got the 6MT Clan from JT but there is a sound issue with the Small injector so i use the DTG Clan with the SSS Clan sound pack so that does the Job.The only problem is that a lot of "extra"packs need the DTG Core locos.Do you have the SSS Black 5's Pack?That Turbine Loco sounds interesting but its a VERY ugly beast.

Edited by Sir Cloudsley-Shovell

I'm a bit ashamed of the amount of DLC I have and the number of hours I've spent in TS. :-)

Also a steam fan. Mike's FEF and Connie are fantastic! I'm American, and so focus on US rolling stock just because of familiarity and nostalgia; but do enjoy the UK lines and locos as well. Anything by Keith is fantastic but the WLoS is his masterpiece. I never tire of that route. I recommend some of the little steamers, such as the 56XX, the 2MT, or the wonderful little 3F Jinty, all of which are fun to use along the docks at the harbor.

And if you haven't tried the China Clay route, by CreativeRail, you really should. Beautiful Cornish route that really captures the feel of a short line, I think.

There several thing you can do in TS2015.Career Scenarios where you score points etc as you go along(i usually lose a lot for speeding lol),Quick Drives,where you can pick a loco and a route and go from A to B,or then there are the Standard Scenarios.Some are based on actual Timetables,they will involve Shunting,making up your Train,Dropping off and Picking up Passengers,Recoaling and Watering for the Steam Locos.I am 100% a Steam Loco fan.To drive a Steam loco isnt as easy as you might think,there is no on or off button like in Electric or Diesel Locos.Some of the Payware Locos have "Advanced" modes,with these you have to "prepare" the Loco prior to setting off,then you can opt to have a Manual or Automatic Fireman.If you go manual then youre a better man than me!Not only have you got to shovel the coal in(correctly,you cant just fill up the firebox with coal and hope it lasts)you have to keep an eye on the Boiler Water Level and top it up as needed,but remember its cold water youre adding!Too much and you lose ALL your steam!I use the Autofireman as there is more than enough to keep me busy as it is!Regarding the Scenarios,there are literally HUNDREDS on The Steam Workshop and many more in the UKTS File Library,along with LOADS of free Locos,Carriages,Waggons,Locos and Routes.If youre that way inclined you can try making your own route( i am doing one that reflects the Stations in the Flanders & Swann song The Slow Train)Also you can reskin stuff,if there is a certain Loco you want then you can Reskin an exsisting one to reflect that.Once you get in it bites like a bug!TS 2015 is £19.99 on Steam at present.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FS-Route-for-Trainsim-2014/248693318587961

I would buy this game, but knowing me and my historically based computer game addictions...

I'm a bit of a rail fan myself, as well as a history nut.  I would probably would try to model the Tallulah Falls Railroad that was in operation in my area from 1898-1961.  It was famously filmed in the "Great Locomotive Chase" movie by Disney in 1958 (Walt Disney also offered to buy the railroad, but it was refused.  If it was accepted, then dang, I could of been living in Walt Disney Land!  And we would still have a railroad here).  The hard part about modeling it is that there are 48 trestles over 52 miles of the railroad.

I could also model the Gainesville Midland Railway, and as well as those ugly 2-10-0 Russian Decapods.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPFGBKS4yE8

The railroad was really only famous for being one of the last operator of steam locomotives because they couldn't afford to buy any more locomotives. 

One of the good things about Train sim is that you can use DEM Data and Google maps for Route Building.DEM data takes the strain out of making the terrain from scratch!And i can testify that it is VERY time consuming.There are many Routes that have Trestles in them(notably the US Routes)Once somebody has made a Trestle model then its just a matter of "stitching " them together.Also if you are any good at 3D Modelling ,you can always make your own Rolling Stock and Locos!At present it seems that DTG are having a bit of US Building madness,not to mention new Locos coming out for US Routes.

I bought the base package and played around with it last night.  I'm a little disappointed in the performance on my laptop - the graphics are fairly ugly and yet I get stuttering when it loads an upcoming scenery area.  I would have expected something marked as a "2015" product to be far more optimized and beautiful.  I haven't found any way to customize the graphics, but when the steelwork on the trestles isn't even "hollow" and yet my framerate is bad, well, maybe I'm missing something.

Past that, I learned that it's hard to watch your speed and the signals at the same time when doing 120 on the lines north of London.   ;)

There will be some stuttering especially on highly detailed routes as the next "tiles" load up,even with a top end Gaming Rig youre going to get them,i can run it on High Detail with my HP Envy Laptop no probs,although some smoke particles slow it right down so i just change views.Happily the SSS advanced steam particles dont do this!.Get rid of the "Procedural Flora" for a start.Best to have a go with everything at lowest then ramp them up and check the performance untill you have the best performance.Regards the speed thing,use the HUD at the bottom of the screen,it shows upcoming speed limts and then you will get Yellows warning you of the speed reductions.Of course when you use Steam Locos on "old Fashioned" routes you will have to learn the Old Semaphore Signal System.LOL

One thing i will say is that the "stock" routes are not as good as some of the ones made by the UKTS Community,the main one is London to Peterborough which is renowned for his FPS hits.Try some of the Freeware routes like North Lincs or the Cambridge lines.

TS2015 is like FSX, a very old engine running on state of the art computers that weren't even imagined when the game was written.  Both of them are huge CPU hogs (rather than GPU) and are shamefully demanding.  You can find a sweet spot if you do some tweaking (as in FSX).  

Let's back it up - where can I find the graphics settings?  They're not available from the Escape menu.   :) Nevermind, found it.

My problem blowing through the red was due to my not understanding that if you're going to be stopping at a platform on the main high-speed line, there are no speed reduction warnings - you're just expected to stop.   :)

• Like 1