Game-Labs Forum

The Public and The Game

I've always been interested in historical era type games, empire total war, the civilization series, potbs, navyfield, ect. Though I recently have come across this title and one thought occurred to me, "why haven't I even heard of this game before?! It looks/sounds amazing!" I'm not particularly sure what i would be suggesting by this thread only want to give the thought to a dev that the game may need some further advertisement. Star Citizen is a huge game right now without even being a game, the exact situation this game should be in. Despite them not being on steam they have successfully crowd funded their game without any big name publishers stepping in to step on toes. I just hope this game can obtain the recognition it deserves since I had to hear about it from a random player in potbs last night after this game being in production, if im not mistaken, for over a year while being completely unnoticed part from a very small community.

• Like 2

Since Pirates of the Burning Sea, a lot of us started bouncing around games like Star Trek Online, World of Tanks, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Company of Heroes.  It was only a few days ago that we essentially said 'We need to find another age of sail game with loss-based PvP, a complex economy, and faction RvR.  GO FORTH AND BROWSE THE INTERNETZ!'

Took us over 2 hours of google searching before we stumbled across this.

Rest assured we'll do our part to help get the word out.  I'm pretty sure 90% of the POTBS population will be 'filched' by this game.  We're holding out a lot of hope here.  :D

Star Citizen came out to the public almost entirely right off the chopping blocks, it was nothing more than a fancy video and a bunch of concept art so to say this game that has convinced me already that it has the potential to be on par isnt ready is just sillyness. I'd love to see this game get the same kind of attention and i just want to be sure that looking into this game isnt another time sinkhole.. as in a game that never takes off BECAUSE it didnt get the attention it deserves. 

I also very much so agree with you TheDamDog, i would absolutely love to see that sort of model for this game also if they were to sell off ships to give a jumpstart to players it would serve only to boost the amount of money getting put into this game which ALSO ensures a bigger dev team and a more likely favorable outcome for this title.

One of the major factors contributing to the flying start of Star Citizen is that the project started by Chris Roberts. He has a fan base of his own because his work on the Wing Commander series while employed at Origin Systems. As an added bonus, he brought quite some funds to get the first stages of the project well started.

When he released a (well written) press release, all the major tech- and game sites jumped onto it. Many showing it on the front page. As a result, the first days of the crowd funding campaign where a huge success, resulting in even more media coverage (this time also in mainstream media).

As you can read here on the forums somewhere, Game Labs does plan on doing a crowd funding campaign. However, as they rightly described, the timing of such a campaign, and the associated push for media coverage, is tricky; it has to be done when there is enough stuff to be drooled over already or it may do the project more harm than good.

In the mean time, us, the early adopters, can do a lot to get the word out and advertise the game by word of mouth ;).

~Brigand

It is exciting to be at the start of something potentially great. 

For great products word of mouth can do wonders and it is already doing it for us.

Naval Action webpage monthly stats (numbers below are for January) - no marketing, no pr, no talking to press. (Flare path found us themselves - Thank you Flare Path)

idc1D15.jpg

But of course lots of users coming too early is a double edge sword - if hundred of thousand sailors come here we wont be able to talk to you all personally. We are a small team and wont have resources initially (unless we start charging money). In addition we have very high standards on community management and it is not easy to scale this competence.

Because of that early adopters (you guys) would definitely help us by filtering good information from the noise and pointing it to us if we miss or forget something. 

ps we love you. 

• Like 1

He speaks the truth. It is very exciting to have found this so early. Rather like the original poster I just found this site by a happenstance mentioning of it on POTBS about a month ago now. I've been lurking around but excitedly coming back multiple times a week to see what's new. After reading some of the threads on historical accuracy, see Mr. Baggington what in God's name have you done to my crossjack, and the teams views on how ships and crew should be handled I got an account. I very much want to be apart of this games development in at least some small measure. On another note, dev's you really don't have to do much more to get people drooling. I'd say consolidate some of the logs and responses to posts into a ultimate vision post. Well written with a small touch of flare. Throw up the pics of the HMS Victory, HMS Surprise, and USS Constitution. Maybe a small live clip, stick it out there whenever you feel ready and I don't doubt the response will more than exceed expectations. 

I'm also very pleased to hear that you're putting a strong focus on community management. I can fully understand wanting to plan things well and ensure you can maintain high standards in that area. In short everything I'm hearing sounds like you guys really got your heads in the right place, on your shoulders not up your. .... you know.  When the time does come I'd be more than happy to help fund such a worthy project. Best of luck, keep the good stuff coming.

Funny how serendipitous internet searches can become. I was actually investigating how one could get a 3D globe and a terrain generator software and I got referenced to Unity and then found the Unity Game Listings. Voila! Navalaction & Game Labs. I have an interest in the Age of Napoleon, especially, the Age of Sail at this time. Trafalfgar to be specific. Hence, I look forward to (hopefully), amongst other features, a simulation of the Battle of Trafalgar that could accommodate all the ships that participated there (that's 73 Ships of the Line types plus 12 smaller vessels, eg the 'Pickle', 'Hortense', etc = 73+ players in one battle). If I get to be Fleet Admiral, all you 'Captains' better obey my flag signals! Or it's the Cat o Nine Tails and then a Keel Haulin for yee, yee Mutinous Dog!

• 2 weeks later...

After Playing potbs and enjoying it for a few years, I am so glad to find something that has the potential to scratch that itch again.  POTBS had/has many flaws and long list of things I would change about it if I could, but It is still some of the most fun I ever had gaming.  It was especially fun in the very early opening days when the open sea was wild and everyone was still figuring things out :)   This game looks like it might be the kind of game that fixes many of those potbs issues, and offers a much more real, and less fantasy type of gameplay.  MY excitement is high.  I wish you guys all the best!