Game-Labs Forum

Dutch armed merchant ship 'Kalmar Nyckel' 1625 (With Plans)

Ned Loe

'Kalmar Nyckel' 

History

The Kalmar Nyckel was constructed in about 1625 and was of a design called a pinnace. The ship was named after the city of Kalmar, which purchased the ship in 1628 as its contribution to the Royal Swedish Navy. When Sweden decided to establish a trading colony in the New World under the direction of Peter Minuit, the Kalmar Nyckel was chosen for the voyage. A smaller vessel, the Fogel Grip (Griffin Bird), accompanied her.

The ships sailed from Gothenburg in December 1637, commanded by Jan Hindriksen van der Water, but encountered a severe storm in the North Sea and had to divert to the Netherlands for repairs. They departed on New Year's Day 1638, arriving in North America in March 1638. They built a fort on the present site of the city of Wilmington, which they named Fort Christina.

A second voyage, which departed on February 7, 1640, and arrived at Fort Christina on April 17, brought additional settlers for New Sweden. One of them was Reorus Torkillus, the first Lutheran clergyman in New Sweden. The Kalmar Nyckel made four successive round trips from Sweden, a record unchallenged by any other colonial vessel. She later served the Royal Swedish Navy in the Swedish-Danish War, then was used as a merchant ship. She was lost at sea in the late 17th century. There are conflicting reports on where she was lost. One says she sank off the coast of the city of Kalmar, while another says she was lost in the North Sea off the coast of England.

KNSailScan.jpg

KNStructureScanB.jpg

Kalmar_Nyckel_Chester_River_MD1.jpg

You found this in the replica thread i guess? ;)

Thanks for posting it! :)

I'm not sure if that blueprint is 100% accurate thou. I think i saw it on a modelers site. I belive half the ship on that blueprint is actually the golden hind.  

Nm.. I just checked that site, the golden hind blueprints s presented underneath this one :)