Game-Labs Forum

O'Brian speaks also of gunports "stove into one" after extended actions.  I have no doubt it happened to a limited degree, but the question is how common it may have been.

I would guess not very common - as it surely took many hits to disintegrate a part of the hull of a ship. It was wood, after all, not carbon :-)

However, when ships of the line were involved and the battle did not end with a boarding but with a shootout broadside to broadside, I can see that happening easily. Just imagine what will have happened to the crew behind that section of the hull in the meantime... Good thing I am a 21st century landlubber! :-)

O'Brian speaks also of gunports "stove into one" after extended actions.  I have no doubt it happened to a limited degree, but the question is how common it may have been.

A lot would also depend on the condition of the hull in the first place.  If the frames were rotten and barely seaworthy in the first place, then much more damage could occur.  However, we've all been using ships in a 'brand new' condition so far for sea trials.  It would be interesting to see how ship condition plays into damage in battle in the open world.

A lot would also depend on the condition of the hull in the first place.  If the frames were rotten and barely seaworthy in the first place, then much more damage could occur.  However, we've all been using ships in a 'brand new' condition so far for sea trials.  It would be interesting to see how ship condition plays into damage in battle in the open world.

I didn't think about the condition of the scantlings, but that's a good point.

well speaking of smoke effects. i think the smoke could be a liitle more intense after firing a broadside and should stay a little longer. i got a video of napoleon tw with darthmod and i think the amount of smoke and how it moves with the wind is pretty accurate for 18th century guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeVVN5_z-w

you can see 28x 12pdr guns shooting in this video and there is a big smoke screen in front of them. increasing smoke in Naval Action would add to its realism and maybe improves gameplay because rangefinding gets harder.

Edited by James Cock

No, they are using black powder

From my experience, at least where I am, reenactors typically uses Goex:

goex-black-powder-container.jpg

ok i wonder because this cannon at the beginning of the video makes a huge and dense smoke plume.

maybe it depends on the type of gun used. a rifled gun with with shells used in civil war may produce less smoke because theres a lot less room for the pressure to escape.

i remember reading an article about the 30 years war and it said that the battlefield often was completely wrapped in smoke from cannons and muskets.

Edited by James Cock

i remember reading an article about the 30 years war and it said that the battlefield often was completely wrapped in smoke from cannons and muskets.

Ya, a lot of accounts say that.  But there were tens of thousands of infantry firing and hundreds of cannons.  Look at the first video I posted, smoke does kind of "wrap" the field in smoke and they don't have as many men on the field.

maybe it depends on the type of gun used. a rifled gun with with shells used in civil war may produce less smoke because theres a lot less room for the pressure to escape.

Field artillery at a reenactment

ws

A larger gun doing live fire.

Not sure how much powder they use at the reenactment, but max 500grams Is my guess.

For the live fire they used about 3kg.

More powder = more smoke.