Game-Labs Forum

Real Rules When Saling At Sea

Jack_the_Stripper

In 1840 England got the regulations for sailing to avoid collisions there are a lot of rules but if players just could follow the basic then it would all go more smoothly.

in RL you must never turn to port unless there is no other option for avoiding collision and then still you could be blamed just as much as the ship that dose nothing to aviod the collision when it's come to court.

But do see that these rules are hard to follow in a battle but if they are used by everyone there will be a lot less chaos, and i should know as I'm and officer myself ;)

As you can see on the image sailing ships can turn to port that is because they are only using the wind, these rules only apply to ships with sails, the other are for self propelled ships

post-11446-0-22019600-1425306978_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michelangelo

I think the current in game rules (bigger ship has the right of way) are more proper and fitting for naval action. Especially with wind changing directions quickly and suddenly, quick manouvering during the line of battle and the huge differences in the turning ability of different ship classes...

• Like 2

This has nothing to do with "turning" to port sir, and everything to do with what tack the ship is on.  The image references a port tack versus a starboard tack, and in many cases is more for racing I believe.

In game, the bigger ship has the right of way.  The larger ship is harder to maneuver, and has more guns to bring on the enemy.  Please give way at all times to the larger ship so they can maximize the damage on the enemy.

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with "turning" to port sir, and everything to do with what tack the ship is on.  The image references a port tack versus a starboard tack, and in many cases is more for racing I believe.

In game, the bigger ship has the right of way.  The larger ship is harder to maneuver, and has more guns to bring on the enemy.  Please give way at all times to the larger ship so they can maximize the damage on the enemy.

ya that might be true dude am not gonna imply that i know to much about sailing ships, as we did not learn a lot about them it was mainly self propelled ships

Edited by Michelangelo

It holds true for any old pair of sailing yachts in the harbor, too.

Right of way is funny, because the vessel with right of way is actually more restricted in their maneuvers. They are expected to maintain their course so that the other vessel can evade.

• Like 1

It holds true for any old pair of sailing yachts in the harbor, too.

Right of way is funny, because the vessel with right of way is actually more restricted in their maneuvers. They are expected to maintain their course so that the other vessel can evade.

Thanks Maturin. I knew it was extremely applicable to racing, but wasn't sure about in reference to general navigation.   :)

In my real world experience, the vessel with the fewest and lowest powered water balloon launchers has to give way.  Makes regattas extremely interesting when people have surgical tube launchers installed amongst the stanchions and shrouds.  ;)