Game-Labs Forum

freecam (home key)

I saw in chat during a battle that someone had hit the home key while sailing. I knew about using it after sinking, but not while still sailing. I tried it and it worked as usual, until I hit the home key a second time. if you do this while sailing, the camera will stay relative to your ship and you can "walk" around the boat. I was watching battles from the stern and it was cool, very immersive. I would stay in this view all the time but you cannot steer the boat until you go back to regular mode.

I have to ask, is there a way I can have my cool camera mode and steer the boat as well? (for a dev) would it be difficult to make it so I can ?.

• Like 1

I saw in chat during a battle that someone had hit the home key while sailing. I knew about using it after sinking, but not while still sailing. I tried it and it worked as usual, until I hit the home key a second time. if you do this while sailing, the camera will stay relative to your ship and you can "walk" around the boat. I was watching battles from the stern and it was cool, very immersive. I would stay in this view all the time but you cannot steer the boat until you go back to regular mode.

I have to ask, is there a way I can have my cool camera mode and steer the boat as well? (for a dev) would it be difficult to make it so I can ?.

do you mean zoom further?

it makes the camera stay with the boat, so you can move around the deck, up the mast and stuff like that. cool if you ask me. just cant navigate like that. I wish I could have separate controls for the rudder and speed while in this cool camera mode. I like immersion.

• Like 2

This was discussed sometime ago, with the result being that a further zooming out camera was seen as immersion breaking. The current freecam mode is really just for testing, screenshots, etc etc and last we were told, will not be in the final game.

I don't really agree with it though because I feel large enough zoom is needed to really see and command a large scale battle to optimal standards (think 25v25). I guess it might wreck 'immersion' for some but its not like we have sea spray splashing on us.

Think of it as an extra eye on the crows nest, they had look out in those days and stood on top of the mast to see the enemy, I really don't see it as cheating, in fact I would see it as rather hard to steer and get the angle of attack whilst 100 feet above looking at any direction really at the enemy.

I would post a video of what I mean , but have not figured out how to do that. you all are talking about zooming out to get a birds eye view while I am talking about staying at deck level. I have never been a fan of 3rd person view.

anyway, the freecam is what it is, I like it like this, all I want is to be able to have controls for navigation while in this view. even though it would be cool to have slaved positions around the boat, like the crows nest or helm, it is not important enough to use a lot of dev time on it.

It must be for testing only (?).

I'm able to, while playing:

1. zoom across the map and get player names.

2. Get sky scraper views, top down, of fleet movements.

While I love #1 and #2, I'm not sure either were intended to be used that way.

Without it and the reliance of muzzle flash on the "horizon" (which has its limitations) Storm Maps are fait accompli! for leaving before the match starts.  So I would not blame anyone for auto leaving Storm maps.

Can't blame them but could call them 'fair-weather' sailors.

In the open world if you are not prepared to go to sea in a storm you will be giving your enemies an advantage.

And it's going to be difficult to explain to your admiral that you didn't go out to protect the convoy because it was a "little-bit rough"!

:P