Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA 2.6 "Major Powers update"

o Barão

10 minutes ago, SeaAlex_175 said:

Also, I will note that the Ottoman Empire should add Three-Mast hulls, a Gunboat hull, a Turret Cruiser and a Coastal Defense Ship. Because the Ottoman fleet for a long time contained even very old ships, which received truly grandiose modernizations.

Good tip.

About Greece. I am really not interested because I already have an huge amount of work to implement this new 6 nations ingame (research admirals, flags, gov changes, ship names, etc), but the good thing is that in the next update all files will be easy to edit so anyone interested can do it.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Good tip.

About Greece. I am really not interested because I already have an huge amount of work to implement this new 6 nations ingame (research admirals, flags, gov changes, ship names, etc), but the good thing is that in the next update all files will be easy to edit so anyone interested can do it.

Thank you very much for your answer!

In any case, I am only talking about an idea for the future and in no way am I saying that this should be done right now. First, decide on the things you have already planned. But later it makes sense to listen to thoughts about the further introduction of new countries. And it would still be logical for Greece to appear eventually.

On 8/28/2024 at 9:16 AM, o Barão said:

Ship speed limited to be between 90%-100% for the AI to follow. This will prevent to see ships incredible slow or with excessive speed which would increase the engine weight by an exponential factor and would limit the tonnage available to be used in other important areas, like armor

You think you could make the AI make ships with whole number speeds and not decimal speeds like 20.1 knots? It should just be 20 knots

South america arms race preview

---Argentina, Brazil and Chile.---

Mku8YPx.jpeg

• American capital ships in general, with some from Germany, France and Italy.
  • Italian heavy cruisers and british light cruisers.
  • Destroyers from Britain, France and Germany.
  • Guns a mix from Italy, USA, German and Britain

EmxKLnt.jpeg

• Full british with some late era american DDs on the mix.

g34AXFL.jpeg

• Capital ships: French pre dreadnoughts until 1900, after mainly British BB/BC with some german/american in the mix.
  • Remaining classes mainly british with some Italy and germany on the mix in late era.
  • Guns british, german and french
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

---Historical flags preview---

Germany

MmEyUNE.jpeg

Note: for anyone that doesn't like, can simple remove by deleting the germany line inside the flags.csv.

Spain

jo0O6XW.jpeg

Note:

• Spain didn't have the a naval ensign or navy jack until around 1940 so I decide to apply the spanish "Torrotito" for all years.
  • Added Spain Franco flag for the 1940 campaign.
  • Added historical spain flag for the first years.
Edited by o Barão
  • Like 4

I am very excited to try out NAR for the first time when this releases (only played DIP before).  My main interest is that by having these formerly minor nations as “real” nations also seems like it would make playing as the original nations even better.  Now you can reliably find a way to expand into Ottoman lands and encounter a fun enemy to fight there too (much more to do with Austria and Russia in the Balkans and Black Sea), same with the Japanese and the Dutch East Indies, or Spain and Portugal, etc.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:14 PM, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

You think you could make the AI make ships with whole number speeds and not decimal speeds like 20.1 knots? It should just be 20 knots

Why?  I routinely build ships with 0.4-0.6 knot speed endings.   You may not choose to do so, but that does not mean others do or do not choose to do so... In this case, I think the AI is perfectly fine with incremental 10ths of a knot speed.

On 8/30/2024 at 11:15 AM, o Barão said:

ships bought or possible bought in searching for shipyards to build them.

One thing I'd like to add is that post-WW2 a lot of our surplus wound up in LatAm, such as ARA General Belgrano and her sister Nueve de Julio, both Brooklyn-class light cruisers bought from the USA.  While they were bought after the fact they would fill a necessary spot for the late game.  I'd also add the Patria torpedo cruiser to the Argentines using one of the flush-deck hulls out there.

Which reminds me... any chance you can swap out the existing Light Cruiser II hull the USA uses?  We only used that design style for our very earliest ships, and by the time of Philadelphia and San Francisco we were already moving towards a flush-deck style, with Newark that was laid down just a month after Philadelphia only raising the sides of the fore and aft to accommodate the sponsons.  I'm looking in the base game to see if there's any good flush-deck hulls for anyone but no such luck.  That said, the hull the Chinese Hybrid Light Cruiser uses would be a good design for USS Olympia, and ironically the Chinese Armored Cruiser II hull would be a good fit in terms of visuals for the Columbia class of commerce raiders.

And before you think I'm being just in favor of the USA here, the Chinese Medium Cruiser would be an excellent match for the British Minotaur-class of 1906, their final armored cruiser design before switching to battlecruisers.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, SpardaSon21 said:

And before you think I'm being just in favor of the USA here, the Chinese Medium Cruiser would be an excellent match for the British Minotaur-class of 1906, their final armored cruiser design before switching to battlecruisers.

That is a great tip!! I will try to implement that when I have some time. 😉

I've been lurking on this topic for a while now and i just want to say I'm SUPER pumped to be having such wonderful people take time out of their day in order to make something for other people to enjoy. :lol:

• Like 1

---Greece preview---

The David vs Goliath experience

• 1910 campaign starts at war against the Ottoman empire.
  • 1940 campaign starts at war against Italy.
  • Small economy, small army.
  • DDs & TBs from Britain, Cruisers from Italy, BCs from Germany, BBs from France and USA.
  • Small italian guns, medium french guns, big american guns.

fUPlgUR.jpeg

yKEttuc.jpeg

BJwusJz.jpeg

xNLl32d.jpeg

The UI is already full.

About performance.

The 1890 campaign experience is smooth. The campaign takes only a few minutes to start, however in 1940 it is exactly the opposite. It can take around an hour to start the campaign. In that case I suggest to take the dog for a walk, watch a movie, etc... you got the idea.

• Like 6

Greece will be a tough row to hoe.. but for those looking for a challenge... about the biggest historical one you can have.   Might be interesting...

I am looking forward to the Dutch/Nederland/Netherlands empire.  Why?   Because their country's positioning has led them to never really get a "good shake" in any significant post-industrial age wars.  I am curious what we can do as the players.

• Like 1

Is there a way to limit the AI to using just 3 calibres per ship (at most!) so they have primary, secondary and tertiary, without having 12 inch turrets, 10.5 inch turrets, 7.2 inch, 6 inch, 5.5 inch turrets... etc. etc. on the same dreadnought? 

One of the ships you posted earlier is a good example, 

ZP7niij.jpeg

Edited by DougToss
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DougToss said:

Is there a way to limit the AI to using just 3 calibres per ship (at most!) so they have primary, secondary and tertiary, without having 12 inch turrets, 10.5 inch turrets, 7.2 inch, 6 inch, 5.5 inch turrets... etc. etc. on the same dreadnought? 

One of the ships you posted earlier is a good example, 

ZP7niij.jpeg

That was something I was working on as part of my larger overhaul (it involved much, much more deep overhauling of ship generation). But I've been thinking about how to do a simpler version of it, because man that annoys me too. :D

• Like 8

Well. The AI does not really understand the principles of the dreadnoughts, does it? (btw, is "AI" in english he, she or it?). 

Do you also build your pre dreadnoughts with as many large and medium guns as possible and switch to primary-secondary-tertiary concept when reaching dreadnought hulls? :D

Ok, I have it mostly working, it's just slow because there's no good entry point. Also it seems to make designing sometimes not lead to any working design. I'll poke more tomorrow, I have a few more ideas to try.

idea is you can put calCount_sec(1890;2;1905;0;1910;1...) (and _main and _ter) in shiptype params, or hull params, or both, and that sets maximum counts (of calibers) for each battery  type, so for this example between 1890 and 1905 there can be a max of 2 different secondary calibers, from 1905 to 1910 there can't be any, etc. On the hull side you can either entirely override these, or do something like calCount_main(1) and it sets it to 1 no matter the year.

At the moment year is the year the hull unlocks, but if folks really want design year, I can swap to that.

Note due to how the game works, casemate and turreted guns can have different actual calibers because even if they share the same base caliber, the extra diameter may be different. Meh.

• Like 1

completely agree with how anoying the Ai is when selecting guns.

is it possible to add a separate tertiary line of guns for the 2-3 inch guns with there own separate ammunition slider possibly even a smaller model of a 2 inch gun so that we can add .50 and 20mm guns to the ships.

---Austria Hungary flags study (historical & fantasy)---

Monarchy current "House of Habsburg"

3meUFS3.png

Monarchy optional, used in civilian ships of the time period

igQ7V27.png

Monarchy Naval ensign

VsfXaVB.png

Monarchy Naval ensign proposed during 1915 but never applied due to the ongoing war.

pGKLCIs.png

Democracy (fantasy)

eXU5gDP.png

Democracy Naval ensign (fantasy)

mspC6HQ.png

Option A

WVcrxPj.png

Option B, double eagle (most common used in the army forces)

Communism (fantasy)

saiB69Z.png

This flags will be included in the mod for anyone to choose.

---1940 campaign start rework---

WWII experience

kflrH1u.jpeg

• Italy and Germany at war with France and England.
  • Italy at war with Greece.
  • Western Poland and Czechoslovakia occupied by Germany.
  • Eastern Poland and Baltic States occupied by Soviet Union.
  • Albania occupied by Italy.
Edited by o Barão
  • Like 5