Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

On 1/2/2024 at 8:36 PM, Freddy said:

Can someone please go into a bit of detail what the four mod options are, did he explain it somewhere?

What is the "default" option that most people use?

I think I installed "Arcade-Traditional formations". Is that the "default" one?

Is there any way I can tell which one I installed?

Semi realistic: Semi realistic accuracy values based on real life reports.

Arcade: Arcade game experience for players that just want to shoot things.

Traditional formations: Scout; follow and Screen formations are enabled from the start and the AI will use them. AI is also ordered to keep a battle formation.

Swarm AI tactics: Any AI ship with torpedoes is ordered to rush the player at close quarters.

There is no default option, you simply choose what you prefer to be your game experience. :)

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v5.0.0 - for UAD v1.4.1.0
1 hour ago, o Barão said:

Traditional formations: Scout; follow and Screen formations are enabled from the start and the AI will use them. AI is also ordered to keep a battle formation.

Swarm AI tactics: Any AI ship with torpedoes is ordered to rush the player at close quarters.

There is no default option, you simply choose what you prefer to be your game experience. :)

thank you :)

16 hours ago, Bics93 said:

I’d like to install this mod, but after I’ve correctly replaced the required files in the game folder, I get a grey screen when starting the game. What am I doing wrong?

You don't have this issue without the mod?

Are you using the correct game version?

It is possible to upload an image to see what is the issue?

I thank you for your excellent work from the heart...

But, have you considered maybe using nexus for hosting your MOD?

Mega being one of the oldest scams out on the wilds and prevents me, among many others I would believe, without ponying up a ridiculous number?

6 hours ago, Lamb Chop said:

But, have you considered maybe using nexus for hosting your MOD?

I will not do that for two reasons:

• The mod and the game are still in development. That is also the reason why I don't share the mod on the steam forum.
  • Here is the perfect place to get feedback from the players.
6 hours ago, Lamb Chop said:

Mega being one of the oldest scams out on the wilds and prevents me...

Mega a scam? If anyone here should be worried about Mega, that would be me that is uploading the files, not you that is only downloading. And I have no issues with Mega.  Also, as I mentioned before, I am using Mega because it is the only cloud service I have with the space I need and without the upload limitation to send big files.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, o Barão said:

I will not do that for two reasons:

• The mod and the game are still in development. That is also the reason why I don't share the mod on the steam forum.
  • Here is the perfect place to get feedback from the players.

Mega a scam? If anyone here should be worried about Mega, that would be me that is uploading the files, not you that is only downloading. And I have no issues with Mega.  Also, as I mentioned before, I am using Mega because it is the only cloud service I have with the space I need and without the upload limitation to send big files.

Fair enough,

Thank you...

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 1:21 PM, o Barão said:

You don't have this issue without the mod?

Are you using the correct game version?

It is possible to upload an image to see what is the issue?

Tha game runs fine without the mod, and I'm using the last version: 1.4.1.0.

Here a screenshot of the grey screen I get when starting the game:

Grey screen.png

1 hour ago, Bics93 said:

Tha game runs fine without the mod, and I'm using the last version: 1.4.1.0.

Here a screenshot of the grey screen I get when starting the game:

Grey screen.png

Ok, I found the issue.

This happens because the resource.assets is not in the correct place.

Download the resource.assets you want.

A ) If it comes in a zip file, unpack the content.

B ) If you get a folder, is the content inside the folder that you need to move to the right location. The resource.assets

This location.

C:\.....\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data

• Like 1

Hello Barao,

Here is some feedback for your excellent mod...

These are my personal thoughts...

I like how you modified the funnels and many other things, AI also seems to be more aggressive, which is good.

What I think you did is, go overboard with the armor values.. I understand the no weight reduction, it is contrary to real life and all but, it makes the game "frustrating".

Here is an example:

Two cruisers with 2 x 2 Mk 3 9" Guns and about 5.4" harvey armor
vs.
1 enemy cruiser, lower tonnage, 2 x 2 8.5" mk 2's
Nobody can kill anyone it is always ricochet or blocked. we both ran out of AP rounds, I had to move in to torpedo it..

I like starting in 1890, and the limited displacement you have even with a 25K DN or 15K CA are completely wiped out by the weight of the armor.

The guns are too heavy and as a result, you have no chance of putting a 12 or 13" on a BS, Cruisers can fit 2 x 2 9", but the AI while designing the ships has the same issue and is not smart, it is the AI, so it ends up placing smaller guns and up-armoring. Result, large battles end because yo and the AI both run out of ammo.

I am in no way a pro gamer nor a Naval history enthusiast, neither am I looking for an RTS, however your mod is causing me extra frustration and as a result, I have decided to go back to stock and make small changes myself...

I am sure your mod is massive fun if you start at 1930's or 40's to get to the heart of it directly.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:35 AM, o Barão said:

But which of those options is the closest to what it was in previous iterations of NAR, before those 4 options?

1 hour ago, Panzergraf said:

But which of those options is the closest to what it was in previous iterations of NAR, before those 4 options?

probably arcade traditional

I'm playing arcade swarm tactics right now and loving the aggressiveness

There is some problems with unlocking the modern cruisers in the USA: at 16k tons you unlock the "heavy cruiser I", then at 17k tons instead of unlocking the "heavy cruiser II" you  unlock the "modern heavy cruiser II", but don't have the hull unlocked in the builder

Thank you for this great work.

Some feedback about AI ammo switch: AI ships may use HE shells to attack heavy armor targets when they still have many AP shells left. They even switch to HE shells at long distances while they can only use AP shells to reach enemies.

5 hours ago, flaviohc16 said:

There is some problems with unlocking the modern cruisers in the USA: at 16k tons you unlock the "heavy cruiser I", then at 17k tons instead of unlocking the "heavy cruiser II" you  unlock the "modern heavy cruiser II", but don't have the hull unlocked in the builder

The reason is the tech tree is universal, but the ship hulls are not. The American "Modern Heavy Cruiser II" is 18.2k tons minimum, so you will need to unlock the next step in the tech tree.

4 hours ago, Azerostar said:

They even switch to HE shells at long distances while they can only use AP shells to reach enemies.

Ok, that is strange, I never saw that. Next time, please share some screenshots for me to see it. Can be a vanilla bug.

1 hour ago, kjg000 said:

Sorry, with this site I just get a blank screen using Firefox and it won't even deal with any secure browsers. Any other options?

Windows should have edge installed by default that you can use.

17 hours ago, o Barão said:

Ok, that is strange, I never saw that. Next time, please share some screenshots for me to see it. Can be a vanilla bug.

Glad to say that this problem rarely occurs, take 3 more rounds of battles at the same sets that the bug happened once,and it seems not happen any more.

On 1/11/2024 at 3:09 AM, o Barão said:

Finally got some screenshots about this problem.

It remains so many AP shells but AI switch to shoot HE shells,while the HE shells even have not enough fire range.

20240112134734_1.jpg

20240112134745_1.jpg

@o Barão, as I have seen that you liked my comment in the main thread I would ask if you know: How hard would it be to make the change that I asked for? So making every month last 2 turns instead of 1, maybe making an Early-month and a Late-Month? Would that be feasible?

On 1/12/2024 at 5:50 AM, Azerostar said:

It remains so many AP shells but AI switch to shoot HE shells,while the HE shells even have not enough fire range.

Interesting, first time I see this. The HE shells were able to reach your ship?

On 1/12/2024 at 11:21 AM, flaviohc16 said:

@o Barão, as I have seen that you liked my comment in the main thread I would ask if you know: How hard would it be to make the change that I asked for? So making every month last 2 turns instead of 1, maybe making an Early-month and a Late-Month? Would that be feasible?

That is part of the internal game code and I don't have access.