Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.2 - for UAD v1.5.1.3

o Barão

BETA v7.0.1 - "Release the Kraken" - N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.5.0.5 Optx4
  • Added Mogami cruiser 6" version.
  • A few minor improvements to the funnels size to work better with some main tower variations for the Russian modern Heavy cruiser III.

JGjN5BM.jpeg

IMPORTANT:

To avoid and play game without autoupdates do this:

1. Set game to update when start game. Do this in game setting(properties)-> update.

2. Don't start game by steam or steam shortcut. Make a shortcut on desktop form a main game .exe like "x:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts.exe"

3 start a game from this shortcut. Game will run without update.

Do not report bugs to the devs if using mods!!

• Like 1

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v7.0.1 "Release the Kraken" - for UAD v1.5.0.5 Opt x4
  • o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v7.0.2 "Release the Kraken" - for UAD v1.5.0.5 Opt x4

Hey o Barão,

I've written a list with suggestions for the devs to add. I know that not all of this will be interesting for you but i could imagine that at least something could be of interest for you and I'm also interested in your opinion 'bout it as a person that is a bit more involved in the game files, modding and stuff than I myself.

Maybe you find something you want to implement.

I look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards

T4LLI

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CenturionsofRome said:

Was the Oil III tech removed? I can't seem to unlock it any more

As I said before, I had the same thing happening ( also ausiliary engine 5, auto reload 2 and oxygen torpedo)

6 hours ago, CenturionsofRome said:

Was the Oil III tech removed? I can't seem to unlock it any more

2 hours ago, flaviohc16 said:

As I said before, I had the same thing happening ( also ausiliary engine 5, auto reload 2 and oxygen torpedo)

10xb3S6.jpeg

1940 campaign, all those techs are there.  The same can be seen in custom battles. I can't see any issue.

28 minutes ago, Danz_Von_Luck said:

my only problem with the current mod is changing min guns for cruisers to 5inch as it wipes out the possibility to produce a lot of History based designs, most of the German ones in fact as they used 4.1 inch guns. 

I know. This was made to prevent modern light cruisers from having the possibility to use them. To help the AI.

But I have good news. I am testing more modifiers to the AI design logic, and I already found what make them using those guns. So by improving the way the AI builds theirs ships, I can enable them again.

An Important update should be ready today. :)

BETA v7.1.0 - "Release the Kraken" - N.A.R. changelog:

• Many new modifiers reworked to improve the AI logic.*
  • Japanese Super Battleship hull reworked to use the iconic Yamato hull.
  • German "Advanced Armored cruiser II" style language improved.
  • German Modern battleship style language reworked to be a little different from the others.
  • Removed the fantasy Bismarck secondary tower from the game.
  • N3 Battleship language improved to be more historical accurate. No more KGV main towers.
  • Added the 4" for the CL due to new improvements to the AI logic.
  • For DDs the minimum main gun is now 3". 2" are only for secondaries.

IMPORTANT: Due to changes to some ship parts, I don't recommend updating the mod unless if starting a new campaign.

*Still learning what they do, so don't expect any sudden miracles:

• Vastly increase the shooting sector. This should improve the guns arcs in most situations and not be blocked by other guns. (only for main guns?)
  • AI will try to use more triple or quad guns if available.
  • Armor used on guns reworked tone down to be more close to real values.
  • AI will favor more medium and large caliber guns for the main battery.
  • Small improvements to the AI logic for a few ships to improve the firepower.

Note: Expect to see the AI struggle sometimes to get a reasonable design, or even failing to get something. Highly experimental.

o9iBbpr.jpeg

Japan Super Battleship.

IMPORTANT:

1. Set game to update when start game. Do this in game setting(properties)-> update.

2. Don't start game by steam or steam shortcut. Make a shortcut on desktop form a main game .exe like "x:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts.exe"

• Like 2

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v7.1.0 "Release the Kraken" - for UAD v1.5.0.5 Opt x4
9 hours ago, o Barão said:

10xb3S6.jpeg

1940 campaign, all those techs are there.  The same can be seen in custom battles. I can't see any issue.

I'm having the same issue indeed but in ship designer everthing is as usual. But my campaign is a few updates old, so i think maybe this is the issue, probably also for my two fellas.

Kind Regards

2 hours ago, PicklePete said:

You need to bring back smoke screen because small ships are now useless even in early/mid game

Until there are some big changes to fix the issues with smoke, you will never see that here.

Hello,

First off, great mod.

I do have a comment on the ship yard upgrades though.

Currently, there is not any benefit from choosing more than 6 months. To simulate real world building economics, a longer duration should result in less cost per ton, and greater tons per month.

A decent portion of construction time and cost in the projects I have been involved in are site planning and logistics. 

Thank you for all your hard work on making this game better.

Wasn't the fantasy Bismark secondary tower the H class tower or close to it? H class was a two-funnel design. Germany now only has Bismark clones in different sizes. It needs more flavor to design something different. Just my opinion.

Is the German and French Torpedo Cruiser 1890 is supposed to be this small? 

image.thumb.png.f0884bdbd5d7f0ae77bc602e6a87079e.png

Edited by huntsc
Added to it

1 hour ago, CenturionsofRome said:

So why can't I unlock them in the campaign any more?

What is your campaign year?

There was a bug fixed in the technologies file yesterday. A different thing, but the same file. Maybe could be responsible for the possible issue. I have no idea. The only changes I made to that file in the recent months was adding new ships, nothing more.

3 hours ago, o Barão said:

What is your campaign year?

There was a bug fixed in the technologies file yesterday. A different thing, but the same file. Maybe could be responsible for the possible issue. I have no idea. The only changes I made to that file in the recent months was adding new ships, nothing more.

Started campaign in 1890 in optx2, updated to optx4 midway through ~1930. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, huntsc said:

Wasn't the fantasy Bismark secondary tower the H class tower or close to it? H class was a two-funnel design.

It's the devs fault for not giving us that secondary tower. But I will not use that fantasy secondary tower anymore, and there are others in a similar situation, that I replace with other towers to improve the ship's design language.

The German's problem is bigger because of the iconic main tower. If you did notice, I tried to improve the design language for the modern battleship I, to do something different but good. I can apply something similar for one german BC at a later point.

You are right about the torpedo cruiser hull. Should have the option to expand one or two sections. I am already uploading an important update, but I will implement that change for the next one.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

BETA v7.2.0 - "Release the Kraken" - N.A.R. changelog:

• More important improvements to the AI logic. (see below)
  • Some changes to the German modern battleship I, German recon cruiser and French ironclad III to help the AI.

AI logic improvements:

• Space needed for using torpedoes bigger. The AI should use fewer torpedoes, sometimes not even a torpedo launcher will be used in some CLs. If the hull have a good beam, then you can expect to see some launchers. Destroyers doens't seem to be affected by this, since mostly they are placed in the middle.
  • Space needed between guns sides from different caliber bigger. But not if one is placed on top of a barbette.

RIBOBsf.jpeg

Regular CLs without a single torpedo. (AI design)

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 2

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v7.2.0 "Release the Kraken" - for UAD v1.5.0.5 Opt x4
16 hours ago, DrWiFi said:

I do have a comment on the ship yard upgrades though.

Currently, there is not any benefit from choosing more than 6 months. To simulate real world building economics, a longer duration should result in less cost per ton, and greater tons per month.

A decent portion of construction time and cost in the projects I have been involved in are site planning and logistics.

I understand from your background why you would think that way, and you are right if the game could simulate real life situations. So let me explain why I did that way.

First, this change was part of the economy, to prevent players from having a snowball economy and also to make it harder to get a shipyard to be able to produce what the nation needs. So in essence, it is longer now and more important to build a shipyard. Nothing major, since I don't want the player to feel pressed to always upgrade the shipyard with fear of losing something important.

Second, as I said above, the game does not simulate real life when we are talking about shipyards. If it was the case, then we would have to build specific tonnage shipyards, for different ship classes and the ship build orders would have to be queued in a line waiting for a shipyard to be free to start the construction. Sadly, we don't have this in game. Instead, we have an abstract number to simulate how bigger this can be and a penalty for all ships under construction if we go above the limit. Unrealistic, but is the way it works in game.

So to not press the player to feel always in the need to upgrade the shipyard all the time, and since the shipyard capacity it is an abstract number anyway, I decided for the player to choose what he wants.

• Like 1

BETA v7.3. - "Release the Kraken" - N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.5.0.6
  • Added the missing American quads.
  • Reworked the early 4",5",6" and 7" guns size for the Germans and the Austrians. They are smaller now, and should look better.
  • Added ship sections for early torpedo cruisers. (it was missing/fixed)
  • Some early cruisers could mount 9" guns (bug/fixed)
  • More improvements for the AI design logic, see below for details.
  • Many individual ships parameters were reworked to make it easier for the AI to get a decent result.

About the AI design logic changes:

• Increased the gun to barbette distance to improve fire angles and try to prevent guns from blocking each other.
  • Change the gun caliber choice logic to try to prevent the bad habit of always choosing 20" guns when designing big battleships. Only a small improvement, but I can't do more. If I limit the AI more, will start to use 11" guns on BBs around 1914.

AI ships should be in general more powerful and not having small guns blocking more powerful guns all the time. The designs should look more clean in general. Players should also notice less torpedoes on CLs.

I hope you guys enjoy the changes. I am exhausted after many hours trying to understand how the system works and I will take a break from modding, and just have fun playing the game.

IMPORTANT:

• Thanks 7