Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.2 - for UAD v1.5.1.3

o Barão

1 hour ago, kjg000 said:

...I'd like to see if I can add some tool-tip info to some of the variables on that screen...

In the new beta version, I don't think this is possible anymore. The devs changed how some files work to support more languages (I am guessing here; not 100% sure about this). The issue here is we don't have access to the "localization" files. 😒

52 minutes ago, o Barão said:

In the new beta version, I don't think this is possible anymore. The devs changed how some files work to support more languages (I am guessing here; not 100% sure about this). The issue here is we don't have access to the "localization" files. 😒

OK, thanks.

Although one of my goals was simply to make the armaments entries in the summary function as they do in the "Armaments" section, so I may not need access to the actual text, just relocate the "Armaments" entries to the summary. Same goes for pitch etc shown at the top of the screen. The only thing I was going to add was the turn circle to the summary.

7 minutes ago, Spitfire109 said:

How far along in the "Chapters" Is this mod? 
And are things still moving along with it?

English is not my native language, so I maybe misunderstand. If you are asking how much time it will take to finish the mod, the answer is a few months. Maybe more, maybe less. Difficult to say at this moment. Depends on how much I am willing to change the game core mechanics.

And yes, the mod is still moving forward. Expect to have a new version when 1.3 goes live.

On 4/28/2023 at 6:52 AM, o Barão said:

English is not my native language, so I maybe misunderstand. If you are asking how much time it will take to finish the mod, the answer is a few months. Maybe more, maybe less. Difficult to say at this moment. Depends on how much I am willing to change the game core mechanics.

And yes, the mod is still moving forward. Expect to have a new version when 1.3 goes live.

Is the new version of the mod for 1.3 going to be a compatibility update or will it also feature new things?

I have a question: is it possible to make early secondary guns use model of armoured semi-turret or just shielded mount and not turrets? That is being quite anchronistic for the pre-WW1 cruisers - where for example player is offered to use 2 and 3-inch turrets when main caliber is just shielded single-gun mounts if we talk about 4-5 inch guns.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:14 PM, Deadpan_Alpaca said:

I have a question: is it possible to make early secondary guns use model of armoured semi-turret or just shielded mount and not turrets? That is being quite anchronistic for the pre-WW1 cruisers - where for example player is offered to use 2 and 3-inch turrets when main caliber is just shielded single-gun mounts if we talk about 4-5 inch guns.

All guns models can be changed. The model, size and to what ship they are available. So yes is possible. I can look at them after update 1.3 goes live.

• Like 1

Preview

GIGjESf.jpg

weeydjH.jpg

Japanese modern torpedo boat.

• Radio; rangefinder; mines; depth charges; sonar; antiflooding; shaft; rudder and steering techs added to tbs.
  • Torpedo techs removed from transports.
  • All TBs 3" & 4" gun models updated to use the nation flavor if available.
  • Fletcher gun is now the american default mk4 and mk5 4"guns on DDs and TBs.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Deadpan_Alpaca said:

So, this is like, "dirt cheap" Destroyer to spam the thing? 

If you want, yes. They can also be a cheap alternative to use mines or hunt subs. But in comparison to DD's they are limited in terms of firepower and protection.

4S9OEE8.jpg

Changelog:

• Updated to 1.3
  • Gas turbine cruising speed increased to 85% (stock game 50%/unlocked in 1945)
  • TBs class will not become obsolete.
  • Radio; rangefinder; mines; depth charges; sonar; antiflooding; shaft; rudder; steering techs added to TB's.
  • TB's 3inch & 4inch gun models updated to use the nation flavor if available.
  • Added modern torpedo boats (unlocked in 1920)
  • Torpedo techs removed from transports
  • Conning tower and fire control accuracy loss trough damage tweaked.
  • Fletcher gun is now the american default mk4 and mk5 4inch gun on DDs and TBs.

Special thanks to UAD devs that implemented the changes I need to continue my work.

NOTE:

Some components and hull stats for modern destroyers and modern torpedo boats still need rebalance (year 1920+).  In time everything will be fixed. But for now I will take a break to play the game.

Installation:

1) Set the game language to english.

2) Backup, move or delete this files from this location:

C:\Users\(user)\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

- custom_battle_data.json

- mission_data.json

- save_x.json

- Do the same to your shared designs.

The reason behind this, is the changes to the game files will probably make all your designs impossible to work with the mod and can make the game crash.

2) Download the resource.assets file and English.lng file, from this location: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q3jd4AXtSRNYvMD7uEtfI51cbwDS-CNQ?usp=share_link

3) Move resources.assets file inside the folder to this location: C:\….Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data

4) Click yes to replace the original file.

5) Move English.lng file inside the folder to this location: C:\....\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data\StreamingAssets\Languages

6) Click yes to replace the original file. All done.:)

Happy hunting, the Baron.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great work so far, really like the idea of the modern TB!

I would recommend to check further a few hulls and their options.

One which is pretty abysmal is the german light cruiser IV. It just gets one funnel option and that one is way too weak for it (only 7,5), would recommend to give it same options like light cruiser III.

Another thing maybe regarding pre-dreads they currently end in 1904 once you get the dreadnought I hull they are gone. Maybe keep them up to 1907 as eco alternatives to early dreadnoughts, they would phase out with regular TBs then.

One line I would change is torpedo_evade_range in params - it's default value with 13500m makes the ships break way to easy formations, especially in early timeframes. Try values between 2000-5000m. Those make it less fustrating.

Keep it up :)

PS: Also it seems that Spain is bugged in custom battle, it freezes up the interface. But only year 1890.

Edited by Astor
  • Like 1

Can you consider changing the tower of the German destroyer will be the original look, cruiser-style is too strange. Single 127mm using your 102mm style.like German USA. Thanks for your diligent work!

Edited by SMS

11 hours ago, Astor said:

One which is pretty abysmal is the german light cruiser IV. It just gets one funnel option and that one is way too weak for it (only 7,5), would recommend to give it same options like light cruiser III.

I will add a few more options. But don't expect anytime soon. I am exhausted and need a break from modding, and I still need to update the mod description with all the changes I made in the last month. For now, I am just going to have fun in playing a campaign.

Another thing maybe regarding pre-dreads they currently end in 1904 once you get the dreadnought I hull they are gone. Maybe keep them up to 1907 as eco alternatives to early dreadnoughts, they would phase out with regular TBs then.

I can't do that. The moment the Dreadnought was launched, all the other battleships become obsolete for a good reason, and the navies from all over the world understood that they needed to build new ships following the "all big guns" concept. If you are keeping the possibility to build obsolete ships, you are also allowing the AI to build crap ships for longer.

One line I would change is torpedo_evade_range in params - it's default value with 13500m makes the ships break way to easy formations, especially in early timeframes. Try values between 2000-5000m. Those make it less fustrating.

PS: Also it seems that Spain is bugged in custom battle, it freezes up the interface. But only year 1890.

I will try that!

About the Spain being bugged. Make sure you have deleted or move to another location all the files mention in the instructions to install the mod.

4 hours ago, SMS said:

Can you consider changing the tower of the German destroyer will be the original look, cruiser-style is too strange. Single 127mm using your 102mm style.like German USA. Thanks for your diligent work!

I agree, it is a little strange. But I am trying to make the hulls design from each nation to look different from each other, and I didn't find a better option. Maybe in the future the devs will add new components I can use. If I find a better option then, I will change.

Edited by o Barão

I suggest using different turrets to characterize the destroyer. For example

USA

Mk 30 Single Enclosed Base Ring Mounts846828082_Forward_gun_turrets_of_USS_David_W._Taylor_(DD-551)_at_Hunters_Point_Naval_Shipyard_California_(USA)_on_23_April_1945.jpg.06676ef88fdcc7d64f5cc71fe476c9c2.jpg

Germen

2094105667_(1).jpeg.a8c4a5268f9bf70b8f1981afe459d061.jpeg

I think your mountings for the British destroyer is perfect🥰

16 hours ago, SMS said:

I suggest using different turrets to characterize the destroyer. For example

USA

Mk 30 Single Enclosed Base Ring Mounts846828082_Forward_gun_turrets_of_USS_David_W._Taylor_(DD-551)_at_Hunters_Point_Naval_Shipyard_California_(USA)_on_23_April_1945.jpg.06676ef88fdcc7d64f5cc71fe476c9c2.jpg

Germen

2094105667_(1).jpeg.a8c4a5268f9bf70b8f1981afe459d061.jpeg

I think your mountings for the British destroyer is perfect🥰

I did that already as 4" inch guns for both the Germans and the Americans. I am considering to also apply them as single barrel turrets as 4" and also 5" guns on DDs and using the Gearing double barrel turret for both the 5" and also the 4" gun and a similar thing for the Germans by using the Bismarck secondary turret model , but in this case only for the 5" guns if using the double barrel.

3 hours ago, Finwenolofinwe said:

Could you consider adding main gun barbettes to the French Experimental Dreadnought hull? The Dreadnought 1 is pretty restrictive and with barbette choices the experimental one would come pretty close to the Courbet and Bretagne classes.

Good suggestion. I will see what I can do.👍

Edited by o Barão

Would it be possible for you to change the US CL main gun mounts for 6" guns to use the larger CA-style ones instead of the short stubby secondary-style ones?  Starting with the 6" Mark 3 they use a different, shorter gun model and by Mark 4 you're giving up several kilometers in range and some penetration to save less than ten tons.  The Mark 5 is even more ridiculous since its a 6"/57 on CAs compared to a 6"/37 on CLs!

Also, a small request for an Erie-style Modern Gunboat hull for the USA.  The class had sonar, radar, depth charges, and even a seaplane, so with the 6" guns it would be an interesting coastal patrol boat, even if locked to 20 or 21 knots.

Edited by SpardaSon21

6 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

Also, a small request for an Erie-style Modern Gunboat hull for the USA.  The class had sonar, radar, depth charges, and even a seaplane, so with the 6" guns it would be an interesting coastal patrol boat, even if locked to 20 or 21 knots.

Funny enough, you are the second person this week who asked if it is possible to have the Erie gunboat in game. It is possible yes, but will take time and I already have so much I want to do, and I also need to finish the work from the previous update. So now is impossible for me to do it, but maybe in a later stage.

About the 6" guns issue. Yes, I will change them to see if it will fix the issue.

3WCNCS4.jpg

Done!

Edited by o Barão

6 hours ago, o Barão said:

Funny enough, you are the second person this week who asked if it is possible to have the Erie gunboat in game. It is possible yes, but will take time and I already have so much I want to do, and I also need to finish the work from the previous update. So now is impossible for me to do it, but maybe in a later stage.

About the 6" guns issue. Yes, I will change them to see if it will fix the issue.

3WCNCS4.jpg

Done!

I don't blame you at all for taking a break, and in fact I would have been fine waiting for you to do that change until you had some fun.  Those guns sure do look nice though...  Considering the USA struggles with light cruisers (don't get me started on the useless semi-armoreds) those two scout cruiser hulls do all my essential CL work for a massive chunk of the game.  I'd be tempted to try making a CA with 6" guns but I don't know how well the game would handle that.  Especially since it might throw them up against proper CA hulls they'd be unable to deal with.

And that's all fine with the Erie.  Its definitely an odd duck, and you've got more important things.  I am loving the modern torpedo boats though.  Made one with three 3" guns and two centerline triple tubes my last campaign.

Edited by SpardaSon21
  • Like 1

update 0.75.1 hotfix

I am forced to release a quick update to fix an issue with a "modern cruiser" hull not having any components by an error I made when editing the files. The issue is the other changes I made in the last days can cause some bugs with your current campaigns. I apologize for the mistake. I recommend deleting the files and start a new campaign if possible.

Changelog:

• American 6-inch CL guns model replaced by the CA USA version.
  • Torpedo reload increased 50%
  • Increased torpedo inaccuracy
  • Mines removed from TBs. (this is too much IMO for such a small ship, however TBs still have the mine sweep tech)
  • torpedo_evade_range,4000 - previous 13500 (*being tested)
  • Improvements to armored cruiser I hull size -britain, japan, china, usa, russia, spain, italy-
  • Improvements to armored cruiser II hull size -britain, japan, china, usa, russia, spain, italy-
  • Improvements to Battleship I hull size -britain, japan-

*To make it easier to fit more funnels in 1890. (small changes)

• Torpedo detection base 1000 - previous 910. NOTE: In N.A.R the sonar will not increase the torpedo detection.
  • Like 1