Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA 2.9.1 "Major Powers update"

o Barão

8 hours ago, NathanKell said:

It's always been linear, or at any rate I would be beyond shocked if late in development the devs rewrote a basic system like "how guns interpolate". Like I said I think the issue is more that the change from main caliber to main caliber is exponential, so increasing extra-diameter on a given gun has large effects very quickly.

Sorry, I was speaking mass and size, not Diameter of gun barrel.   EG 5.9" (150mm) mounts were Bigger/heavier than 6" (152mm) mounts in the same nation.     Realized we may have been talking about two separate things.

Edited by Pappystein

got a funny little moment with drunk gunners at knife range with an unarmed transport lol. Though, I will admit that it's a bit frustrating to not have 100% accuracy when the barrel is practically stuck into the broadside of the enemy ship.

Love the mod and I really appreciate all the hard work that has been put into it! It really has breathed new life into this game!

image_2024-09-13_215530959.png

I require some assistance, please, from someone who was able to run the mod.

I tried downloading the mod from the Google Drive link on Page 1. Followed the steps, including downloading MelonLoader and the TweaksandFixes files, etc.

However, when I did try creating a shotcut, it would tell me UnityPlayer.dll is missing. That file is present in the UAD directory. Opening the game from there, however, would lead to the game being loaded as is without the mod.

Can someone please help? Alternatively, if this is not the right thread, could someone please direct me to the right thread? Would appreciate it greatly. Thanks, folks.

On 9/12/2024 at 2:47 PM, NathanKell said:

The game does interpolate linearly, with the exception that it multiplies the next size's value by .975 (or did back in 1.4 when I first looked). The issue with the 12", 13", and 14" in particular in NAR is that they unlock at such different times that the interpolation is strange, because the interpolation occurs between guns of the same mark. (I presume this is partly why the devs put that .975x multiplier in there, because even in vanilla this is an issue.) See this post regarding how all the math actually works: 

Anyway, due to how the math works plus how NAR's data is set up, you're going to get weirdness.

What exact problem are you running into?

This was literally the thing that got me into modding UAD. I got sidetracked though. :D And also, that's a gameplay change, something I was going to do in my (more-realism-focused) mod rather than in TAF itself. But if @o Barão wants it for NAR (along with other lockouts for refit, like not changing engines or whatever) I'm happy to do that, I know how.

I've downloaded all the necessary programs to run the mod but whenever I open UAD, it still opens the base version instead of the mod.

Edited by MuiWyvern

24 minutes ago, MuiWyvern said:

I've downloaded all the necessary programs to run the mod but whenever I open UAD, it still opens the base version instead of the mod.

Make sure when you download the NAR files you unpack the file using unrar or a similar program and then you get the content inside from the second mods folder. For some reason the files will come extracted in mods folder and inside you will get another mods folder. Is the content inside of the second mods folder that matters.

24 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Make sure when you download the NAR files you unpack the file using unrar or a similar program and then you get the content inside from the second mods folder. For some reason the files will come extracted in mods folder and inside you will get another mods folder. Is the content inside of the second mods folder that matters.

Can I give you a little advice to help beginners with your mod?

Make a short video of the installation process (less than 3 minutes long)

9 minutes ago, Peksern said:

Are millimetres better than centimetres?

Not in UAD.

Milimeters are important if your are designing small objects for production.

For the scale of UAD use centimeters instead. Will give you the exact same information without huge numbers clutering the UI, and will also will be quicker when editing the values.

• Like 1

I have a problem with the mod. It may be a misunderstanding of the new features (Cuz I just got back to playing the game), or something that needs to be addressed. 

The "Upgrade Mark" button is not working. Refits of my ships are not receiving better gun and torpedo marks even after pressing the button. I didn't have the chance to take a picture at the moment (the Greek-Turkish War is in full swing and I am playing Greece).

If I did something wrong during the refit, please point out anything I possibly did wrong. If it is an actual problem, I hope this gets fixed soon.

2 hours ago, visitor223 said:

I have a problem with the mod. It may be a misunderstanding of the new features (Cuz I just got back to playing the game), or something that needs to be addressed. 

The "Upgrade Mark" button is not working. Refits of my ships are not receiving better gun and torpedo marks even after pressing the button. I didn't have the chance to take a picture at the moment (the Greek-Turkish War is in full swing and I am playing Greece).

If I did something wrong during the refit, please point out anything I possibly did wrong. If it is an actual problem, I hope this gets fixed soon.

Next time that happens, exit the game and upload and share your save file for us to take a look.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alphajedi16 said:

Though, I will admit that it's a bit frustrating to not have 100% accuracy when the barrel is practically stuck into the broadside of the enemy ship.

Green crew, if in bad weather with ship bouncing up and down with manual adjusting the guns elevation all the time. Tbs are famous for having bad stability values.

I am just guessing here. I have no idea what were your accuracy modifiers.

7 hours ago, Warspite1915 said:

Can someone please help?

On 9/12/2024 at 11:44 AM, BoredViking said:

Thanks for the effort put on this mod.

After installing, I cannot upgrade the guns mark. I hit the button to upgrade, the refit shows the new mark, but when the ship is in combat, it shows (and behaves) like the original mark.

What am I doing wrong?  

Bump

BETA 2.6 "Major Powers update"- N.A.R. changelog:

• Added german language, courtesy from @Patriot-d-H (not official supported)
  • Improved many AI pre dreadnoughts designs from 1890-1900.*
  • Changed the default early TB minimal size to help the AI get a solution.*
  • Hull size changes for the german super battleship II.*
  • New file added, randParts. This is my first attempt to help the AI designing better ships in this file. I am still learning what it does. For the moment is only small changes to japanese super battleship and japanese modern battleship II, to increase the probability of placing the superstructure in the middle so those side mounts for the secondaries on the hull not being wasted because one main gun. Also I limited the range side secondaries can be placed so I lowered the chance of blocking one main gun.
  • Fixed a small error on the players and flags file.

*NOTE:

• Because of the hulls changes, is recommended starting a new campaign if you are playing around 1890-1905 or around 1940. Or don't update the mod the moment.
  • The chinese BB II have a stupid AI that refuses to follow global orders and insist in placing secondaries around the main guns. I will return to that hull later.

Files edited or added(new):

• params
  • parts
  • players
  • flags
  • randParts
  • german
  • Like 2

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA 2.6 "Major Powers update"

[22:54:25.643] [TweaksAndFixes] During invoking native->managed trampoline
Il2CppInterop.Runtime.Il2CppException: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: PlayerData-britain
--- BEGIN IL2CPP STACK TRACE ---
System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: PlayerData-britain
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryInsert (TKey key, TValue value, System.Collections.Generic.InsertionBehavior behavior) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].Add (TKey key, TValue value) [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
  at GameManager+<LoadCampaign>d__102.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
--- END IL2CPP STACK TRACE ---

at Il2CppInterop.Runtime.Il2CppException.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary(IntPtr returnedException) in /home/runner/work/Il2CppInterop/Il2CppInterop/Il2CppInterop.Runtime/Il2CppException.cs:line 36
   at DMD<Il2Cpp.GameManager+_LoadCampaign_d__102::MoveNext>(_LoadCampaign_d__102 this)
   at (il2cpp -> managed) MoveNext(IntPtr , Il2CppMethodInfo* )

This showed up in my melon launcher while trying to load into a saved campaign, resulting in forever 'loading world'
Does anyone know what it means?

@Patriot-d-HHi! Read that you added some German to NAR?

I speak German as my native language, but even before I started with NAR I had played UAD in english due to the terrible (automatically generated?) German localization. Did you do a complete "Overhaul" of this localization, that makes it good playable or did you just make NAR working with German settings? 

Either way, thanks for your support!

16 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Sorry, I was speaking mass and size, not Diameter of gun barrel.   EG 5.9" (150mm) mounts were Bigger/heavier than 6" (152mm) mounts in the same nation.     Realized we may have been talking about two separate things.

Size is going to come from scaling up the model used for the 5in turret, so that may well be weird. Mass, I would expect to behave reasonably, unless the devs added some weird extra scaling factor (like the .975x I mentioned). But there's definite weirdness around the fact that gun length has a huge impact on mass, and there's some very strange behavior in vanilla where length can come both from the turret itself, and from the length modifier. And they behave different ways! So a 5"/51 that is made from a 5"/38 turret will be far heavier than a 5"/51 made from a 5"/45 turret. (And it's not just mass, it affects basically all the stats. The game double-dips on modifiers when you apply a length modifier.)

7 hours ago, o Barão said:

For the moment just take the gift.:D

I also saw that on my game and I really can't explain why happens only with some provinces.

@NathanKell maybe something related how taf creates the provincesdump file?

What I can do is make a special mode where TAF will log every changed value in a province after loading the province and port data. That will I think be useful in debugging whether the issue is a data one or something to do with how I am changing things.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, o Barão said:

Also I limited the range side secondaries can be placed so I lowered the chance of blocking one main gun

Is this related to the collision/placement issue on hulls such as this one where the secondary should work (and the space dictates as much), but the game just goes "nuh uh" and highlights the barbette yellow and screams "placement issue"?

I have a question: Why Chile and Brazil have the naval Jack in port cities and fleets instead of the national flag? Unlike The UK Chile and Brazil have always used the national flag as main flag and the naval jack only goes on the prow of the ships, and it's never displayed as "the flag of the navy" but as a sign of an officer on board... 

Edited by Maximus Tyberius

16 hours ago, o Barão said:

Next time that happens, exit the game and upload and share your save file for us to take a look.

I have the exact same problem with the "Upgrade Mark"

You goto Design, Refit, Hit the "Upgrade Nark" Save
Design shows mk.2 Guns etc.
Refit the actual ship.
The Actual ship is still Mk.I

Confirmed in multiple occasions

If it Helps, Brother Munro is having the exact same issue on his current Youtube campaign with his mod.
However, since I know that some of his mod files are based on yours, I though I would report it here.
I am abut to try with Tweaks and Fixes only, will report

• Like 2