Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.09+ Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

2 minutes ago, jkl said:

It's mostly not design, it's AI behavior pattern. 

s.jpg.f8c182fa4cd49e4a5449343b970b685f.j

If the ships are more accurate/better protected/better armored, it will be much more difficult. A couple of good battleships can do a lot of damage, even if they constantly maneuver without meaning. But yes, the AI's behavior in combat is just...bad.

Stealth blockade is another old mechanic that doesn't suit the current game well. If there is a blockade, then it should be possible to easily find the enemy and attack it.

And of course, there are crazy bugs when the blockade comes out of nothing exactly as described above.

59 minutes ago, Lima said:

Stealth blockade is another old mechanic that doesn't suit the current game well. If there is a blockade, then it should be possible to easily find the enemy and attack it.

And of course, there are crazy bugs when the blockade comes out of nothing exactly as described above.

For a year the game acted like my fleet didn't exist. It did nothing. It projected no power.

It happens to me nearly every campaign, especially as Japan. No matter what I do I cannot engage an enemy fleet blockading me with vastly inferior numbers. It's one of those things that should have been corrected from the beginning.

What concerns me is how this is all going to translate to 1.10 when these bugs are not fixed, then we get a whole new set of them. They really need to hire a second programmer.

edit - It just hung up on Update Missions again. I'm done for the night. I'm seriously considering heading over to EU IV to see how they F-ed that up.

Edited by Admiral Donuts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Admiral Donuts said:

For a year the game acted like my fleet didn't exist. It did nothing. It projected no power.

It happens to me nearly every campaign, especially as Japan. No matter what I do I cannot engage an enemy fleet blockading me with vastly inferior numbers. It's one of those things that should have been corrected from the beginning.

What concerns me is how this is all going to translate to 1.10 when these bugs are not fixed, then we get a whole new set of them. They really need to hire a second programmer.

edit - It just hung up on Update Missions again. I'm done for the night. I'm seriously considering heading over to EU IV to see how they F-ed that up.

So during my Japan campaign did I also run it to getting blockaded by an inferior fow with one case when I was blockaded by Germany who hade fewer ships than I hade BB which was 16 BB at the time. What made it more iretating was that most of my 200+ ships were in Northeast Aisa but I got blockaded by a few DD.

When I got blockaded did I send out a task force to deal with the problem and the blockade was lifted without a battle.

This might mean that a there needs to be a task force in the sea region to aviod blockades from inferior enemies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eirchirfir said:

So during my Japan campaign did I also run it to getting blockaded by an inferior fow with one case when I was blockaded by Germany who hade fewer ships than I hade BB which was 16 BB at the time. What made it more iretating was that most of my 200+ ships were in Northeast Aisa but I got blockaded by a few DD.

When I got blockaded did I send out a task force to deal with the problem and the blockade was lifted without a battle.

This might mean that a there needs to be a task force in the sea region to aviod blockades from inferior enemies.

It helps sometimes, but not always. 

My favorite SPain campaign. I am blocked by Russians who have just entered the war and they have almost no ships. I have TF (yes, they are chasing the US more than 40 turns already) and ships in ports in all my maritime regions. But suddenly a blockade from Oblivion.

Uh, new enemy tactics :

Damage as many of your ships as possible, even if none of them sink. Then later attack with much inferior, but somehow faster vessels. Retreat from superior forces. Win, because all of the player's ships are damaged. Same if damaged by mines. Because your own destroyers and light cruisers now tend to zig-zag in front of your formations, you cannot use the AI to follow the enemy, so you have to be lucky to find the enemy, who always starts a gazillion miles from your forces (so you do not see any radar echoes).
Retreat of own forces not possible, because the three enemy cruisers bind a much larger force of battleships. Do this 10 times, win the war.
Ah, yes...auto resolve either results in disproportionally huge amounts of damage to your ships or the enemy escapes mostly unscathed.

Other tactic: Enemy destroyer force bind submarines. Subs are damaged, so I do not accept battle. Never mind, enemy force binds my subs for several months in a row. I move a powerful surface force to that location. No battle against this force pops up, but the enemy destroyers still bind my submarines and generate battles.

I am also a bit dissapointed that formations are still...suboptimal. Ships are intermixed (fast and slow of one type in a group and taking a while to sort out formations, mostly not before the enemy is enaged). Ships getting stuck is also still there, but by far the most annoying thing of this patch are the frequent crashes, mostly when submarines are involved. I can play two rounds, than the auto-resolve doesn't resolve anything and I have to return to the main menu to continue the campaign.

Edited by Darth Khyron
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Khyron said:

Uh, new enemy tactics :

Damage as many of your ships as possible, even if none of them sink. Then later attack with much inferior, but somehow faster vessels. Retreat from superior forces. Win, because all of the player's ships are damaged. Same if damaged by mines. Because your own destroyers and light cruisers now tend to zig-zag in front of your formations, you cannot use the AI to follow the enemy, so you have to be lucky to find the enemy, who always starts a gazillion miles from your forces (so you do not see any radar echoes).
Retreat of own forces not possible, because the three enemy cruisers bind a much larger force of battleships. Do this 10 times, win the war.

Other tactic. Enemy destroyer force bind submarines. Subs are damaged, so I do not accept battle. Never mind, enemy force binds my subs for several months in a row. I move a powerful surface force to that location. No battle against this force pops up, but the enemy destroyers still bind my submarines and generate battles.

I am also a bit dissapointed that formations are still...suboptimal. Ships are intermixed (fast and slow of one type in a group and taking a while to sort out formations, mostly not before the enemy is enaged). Ships getting stuck is also still there, but by far the most annoying thing of this patch are the frequent crashes, mostly when submarines are involved. I can play two rounds, than the auto-resolve doesn't resolve anything and I have to return to the main menu to continue the campaign.

Pure PAIN here.

But I want to ask you something. Do your damaged ships get additional damage after the battle is over? For example, in the first battle in which the enemy fled, the ship had 20% damage. In battle on the next turn, she has 30% damage (and she did not receive any damage in battle).

• Like 2

Nope, the BB did not receive further damage, but other ships did until I tried to resolve all of the battles manually. She did not receive any more damage, but being reduced to 9% structure (a 104000 ton BB, no less) that was enough. In the most recent battle, I doggedly pursued the enemy even to the edge of the graphic horizon and followed him into the grey, so I could at least sink a previously damaged destroyer, so finally broke the hold.
The VPs are secondary, at this point I have enough,I guess. But the mechanic is broken. The enemy can generate battles at leisure, the player can not, regardless of size or capabilities of the ships involved. The enemy flees. Yep, that happens when it has faster vessels. But that is enough to hold the player's group at place for months at a time until a solution is found by either sinking them or be sunk, no retreat or maneuver possible.
Same for submarines.

https://imgur.com/a/fIdAkuh
Following them over the edge of the world.

Think of it in real life: A battlegroup consisting of battleships, cruisers, destroyers is staying put for months at a time. They are now reduced to eating their shoes and trying to drink seawater because the enemy sometimes appears as a blip on the radar oscillator screen.

Or :
"Captain, the enemy destroyers are still above us. They are closing in for a depths charge attack."
"Oh, well...I have lost count...how many...?"
"The twentyfourth this month. 32 last month, 28 the month before and 16 the month before that.">
"Ah...supply situation?"
"Quite good. Torpedoes are plenty, we still have mines and food and water for two more years."
"Well, we just have to wait then, I think. What about OUR surface group?"
"Should be in the vicinity, one moment. Sonar?"
"Sonar reporting. Yes, Captain. Two of our large battleships, four battlecruisers, four light cruisers and ten to twelve destroyers are directly above us...but..."
"But? C'mon, man."
"They are zig-zagging and are seemingly not able to find the enemy destroyers."
"What? They got radar and the weather is clear."
"Perhaps the admiral is incompetent, sir."
"Well, that is to be expected..."

Edited by Darth Khyron
  • Like 2

PS. After the next battle (My hope of finally escaping was for nought), my flagships was not farther damaged. Another BB (an older one) was now much more damaged than before, despite receiving no damage in the above mentioned fight. Odd.

Another thing : Wars just...end.
I was at war with japan and the US and urged my government to prolong the war to take them our once and for all. But, twice now, the wars just...ended. No negotiations, no reparations, no ships to get. Their ships went from red to white and that's it.

• Like 2

Well, I'm not the only one getting this RNG damage. There's not a lot of talk about it, I guess, because TF often return to port after a battle. And in death spiral-type battles, when you've been chasing one destroyer for years, many use auto-resolve.

I can say with confidence that these are not mines. I took this RNG damage in many early campaigns when there were no mines yet.

Practically, this makes it impossible to use TF for a long time. Once one ship gets a scratch, it will eventually consume the entire ship. 

This bug is just incredibly old. Its fraternal bug with broken engines was cured.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eirchirfir said:

Always my first thought...what did I do wrong? In the case of my last Japan campaign I did the same thing, with the same result. Is my fleet 'in being'? 'Should I sortie'?

Nothing changed. I remained under blockade.

Same with this French campaign. A year under blockade, my fleet divided equally between just outside of Brest, and the Western Med. There was even a point where my fleet were the only ships occupying the Western Med.

Yet I remained under blockade with 0 power projection and no interceptions.

Like I said, it was like my fleet didn't even exist.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

I hereby formally request a scout cruiser and faster destroyer hull for Germany and Austria/Hungary. The AI now builds heavy cruisers with 38 knots, light cruisers with 40 knots and destroyers with 41 knots of speed. All are armed with oxygen torpedoes and germany simply cannot build ships that fast. Yes, I got a BC design with 40 knots of speed, designed specially for such occassions, but they never fight because reasons.

When I chose to fight, the AI ALWAYS runs away. They have six light cruisers and three destroyers against one of my heavy cruisers...they run away. I have one destroyer against three destroyers, they run away.
When I auto-resolve (one of my large battlegroups against three destroyers or light cruisers)...BAM!!! They sink four destroyers and a light cruiser and are themselves minimally damaged.
Not one. Always.

I am beginning to think that this is not a bug, but a feature. It is so frustrating that a game I basically love is so down-turning.
Please, please, please fix this.

• Like 3