Game-Labs Forum

New german quad turrets

Stormnet

So, they finnaly added new turrets for the Russians and Italians, after 7 months of asking and bumping a thread
But this is only the tip of the iceberg, there are still several nations that need some turret designs. One of these is Germany.

Germany as of now lacks any quad turret, and must therefore resort to using BRITISH ones, so I want to give some designs (provided by @Shiki) the devs could use to make new ones.

The first one is best described as "2 Bismark turrets glued togheder"

The second one is more standardised and... less weird
unknown.png?width=534&height=609

And the last one goes for a more Richelieu look, with a slight gap between each cannon pair (where likely is an armored bulkhead).
unknown.png?width=581&height=609

Soo... I guess model them and put in the game? And this time, dont take 7 months to do so please?

Edited by Stormnet
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stormnet said:

So, they finnaly added new turrets for the Russians and Italians, after 7 months of asking and bumping a thread
But this is only the tip of the iceberg, there are still several nations that need some turret designs. One of these is Germany.

Germany as of now lacks any quad turret, and must therefore resort to using BRITISH ones, so I want to give some designs (provided by @Shiki) the devs could use to make new ones.

The first one is best described as "2 Bismark turrets glued togheder"

The second one is more standardised and... less weird
unknown.png?width=534&height=609

And the last one goes for a more Richelieu look, with a slight gap between each cannon pair (where likely is an armored bulkhead).
unknown.png?width=581&height=609

Soo... I guess model them and put in the game? And this time, dont take 7 months to do so please?

What I would like to see before this is that hey make all the German guns fit on the super-structure barbettes. Then I'll be comfortable using quads on German ships. Also am I the only one who wants German triple guns from 15inch to 20inch to look like this.

Großer Kurfürst - Global wiki. Wargaming.net

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 4:07 PM, CapnAvont1015 said:

What I would like to see before this is that hey make all the German guns fit on the super-structure barbettes. Then I'll be comfortable using quads on German ships. Also am I the only one who wants German triple guns from 15inch to 20inch to look like this.

Großer Kurfürst - Global wiki. Wargaming.net

Given that the main reason the Kriegsmarine didn't adopt triple turrets historically was an accuracy issue due to having the barrels too close together, this turret design makes much more sense for them. So if they wanted to upgrade the turrets Bismarck had, instead of shoving a third gun between the two existing guns, they would have probably widened the turret to accommodate the third gun, with the distance between each barrel on the turret being unchanged, despite the upgrade from twin 380's to triple.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SodaBit said:

Given that the main reason the Kriegsmarine didn't adopt triple turrets historically was an accuracy issue due to having the barrels too close together, this turret design makes much more sense for them. So if they wanted to upgrade the turrets Bismarck had, instead of shoving a third gun between the two existing guns, they would have probably widened the turret to accommodate the third gun, with the distance between each barrel on the turret being unchanged, despite the upgrade from twin 380's to triple.

I was going to ask about the dispersion of the first quad turret drawing. Beyond that, I can’t say I know enough about German gunhouses to say how their layout would have to change. Did their breechblocks open vertically or horizontally? The working space needed is probably not as clean as simply multiplying it by 2.

1 hour ago, DougToss said:

I was going to ask about the dispersion of the first quad turret drawing. Beyond that, I can’t say I know enough about German gunhouses to say how their layout would have to change. Did their breechblocks open vertically or horizontally? The working space needed is probably not as clean as simply multiplying it by 2.

I'm not entirely sure, but what I do know is that the current triple turret for the Kriegsmarine BB's must be a real pain in the *** to operate. Having guns that close together may be fine on a smaller caliber gun, but on something the size of a 15" shell, it must be an absolute nightmare to load the middle gun, there simply isn't enough room.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

I'm not entirely sure, but what I do know is that the current triple turret for the Kriegsmarine BB's must be a real pain in the *** to operate. Having guns that close together may be fine on a smaller caliber gun, but on something the size of a 15" shell, it must be an absolute nightmare to load the middle gun, there simply isn't enough room.

Also they look incredibly stupid how close the barrels are to each other in game which makes me think that they would never work in real life. I think I used the German triple guns once and that's when I made a Pommern replica.....and I hated it.

• Like 2

Brown’s books, and Friedman in Naval Weapons Of World War One talk about the gunhouses and turret layouts of British ships, (Friedman does the other nations as well), and cramped gunhouses and barbettes were a recurring problem for them. Without a space or bulkhead between breaches there were all kinds of accidents and hazards. I think they did have to create quite a large buffer eventually because occasionally flash would enter the gunhouse from one gun and threaten to ignite propellant getting readied for the next.

e: I was field artillery, so this was not a problem we had, but the gist of it was occasionally unburnt propellant would vent and ignite into the gunhouse when the breachblock was opened. The 120mm guns on Leopards have fume extractors for a similar reason - even without the flash, you don’t want fumes venting back into the crew compartment.  

Edited by DougToss
  • Like 2