Game-Labs Forum

Would be nice to see the USS Pennsylvania in game.  Laid down in 1837, It was the largest sailing warship ever built for the United States, she had three complete gun decks and a flush spar-deck and her hull was pierced for 138 guns.

USS Pennsylvania #1.jpg

USS Pennsylvania #2.jpg

USS Pennsylvania #3.jpg

USS Pennsylvania #4.jpg

USS Pennsylvania #5.jpg

Edited by Lord Markus
  • Lord Markus changed the title to USS Pennsylvania
On 1/10/2021 at 12:17 PM, Lord Markus said:

Would be nice to see the USS Pennsylvania in game.  Laid down in 1837, It was the largest sailing warship ever built for the United States, she had three complete gun decks and a flush spar-deck and her hull was pierced for 138 guns.

Impressive!

But too late imo to be included in a game that covers something like the golden age of (wooden) fighting sail.

In 1837 the days of wooden warships were (almost) over.

It might just be my personal view, but I’d rather have those warships in the game, that had thier share in important battles of the age of sail (e.g. HMS Captain, HMS Vanguard, HMS Victory, Redoutable, Buccentaure, l‘Orient, ... Santissima Trinidad).

Edited by Navalus Magnus

The USS Pennsylvania was built during the great age of sail before ironclads and steam power came around and it is my understanding that she was made of wood with copper sheathing on her hull which was common practice during the age of sail for some time and personally I don't think it would be a bad idea to include her when the alternative is adding in generic ships that never existed which has happened quite often in games over the years. 

Edited by Lord Markus

Don‘t get me wrong, I don’t want to have fancy fantasy pirate ships or something like that!

I also want the „real stuff“ to get into the game, but I think there are better choices than USS Pensylvania, because of the following reasons:

That‘s what I found on wiki about the USS Pensylvania: „Launched in 1837, her only cruise was a single trip from Delaware Bay through Chesapeake Bay to the Norfolk Navy Yard. The ship became a receiving ship“.

That seems a rather unimpressive record!

I would rather have (more famous) ships of the age of sail implemented into the game. Ships that actually saw some action (and were from the dominating naval powers of that period).

The USS Pensylvania saw neither action nor was the US a dominating naval power back in these days. The US were famous for thier super frigates (which definately saw action), but not for ship of the line.

So I’d rather vote for implementing USS Consitution and her sister ships, while filling the slots for ship of the line with those of the fleets of GB, France, Spain and Netherlands maybe.

Edited by Navalus Magnus