Game-Labs Forum

Battle line AI improvement.

Alias72

To more accurately represent battle line formations I propose the following:

Accuracy penalty when under fire. This represents increased stress under combat conditions. This incentivises the targeting of every ship in a battle line. The targeting of every ship in a line is historical.

Ships in a battle line will target the closest un-engaged ship first. Perhaps there could be the potential that the wrong ship is targeted based upon captains skill and luck.

The above have precedent in the battle of Jutland.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alias72 said:

Accuracy penalty when under fire. This represents increased stress under combat conditions. This incentivises the targeting of every ship in a battle line. The targeting of every ship in a line is historical.

Ships in a battle line will target the closest un-engaged ship first. Perhaps there could be the potential that the wrong ship is targeted based upon captains skill and luck.

The above have precedent in the battle of Jutland.

I've been seeing tons of posts about formations lately and how we could improve / add more.

Devs should probably take this into account.

Ships pretty much fought exclusively in line abreast, though there were of course variations for scouts, screens and ships supporting the line of battle. The issue is that the AI cannot manoeuvre to save its life, and without a map, the player's skills as a battlefield manager quickly deteriorate. 

Edited by DougToss
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:42 PM, Alias72 said:

Very good point. It's not just stress, but I would think lots of shell splashes around your ship would impact the rangefinders and spotters for your own guns. Currently we have a penalty for damage taken which is fine, just need to add this one provide a smaller hit to accuracy. 

Edited by madham82