Game-Labs Forum

HMS Barfleur class (2nd rate)

To begin with I must say that I really appreciate this game and all the work that has been done on the accurate representation of the ships of the time ! I'm now well into the US campaign and I've met those 2nd rate British SOL a few times.

It seems that this ship in game model & picture is wrong. I think you used another 2nd rate : the french Tonnant/Bucentaure class. This french 2nd rate was a long 2 decker while the real Barfleur class was a fully fledged 3 decker (picture). Is it a placeholder or a bug ?

Thank you for this very exciting game !

Best,

Epaminondas

Rfyu37g (1).jpg

• Like 2

I've been doing a few research on the Battle of the Chesapeake. The model used to represent the HMS Barfleur and the HMS London should actually be on the other side of the battlefield! 

Indeed, during this battle, the French fleet of the Comte de Grasse included three ships of 80 guns : 

• the Languedoc, 80, Duplessix-Pascaut (Count of Monteil)
  • the Saint Esprit, 80, Marquis de Chabert
  • l'Auguste, 80, de Casteltau (from Bougainville)

Vaisseau_de_80_canons_vu_par_Nicolas_Ozanne_en_1764.jpg

@sterner

Do you intend to bring the Barfleuer into the game as it was - see the posted pics above?

That would be awesome!

But If not - because of causing too much extra work for instance:

What about using the classic Victory or the Christian model from NA as Barfleur class than?

Imo that would be better than staying with the Bucentaure model, because they represent a closer match (3 decker instead of a 2 decker).

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:13 AM, Navalus Magnus said:

@sterner

Do you intend to bring the Barfleuer into the game as it was - see the posted pics above?

That would be awesome!

But If not - because of causing too much extra work for instance:

What about using the classic Victory or the Christian model from NA as Barfleur class than?

Imo that would be better than staying with the Bucentaure model, because they represent a closer match (3 decker instead of a 2 decker).

+1

Btw, i didn't played to the end of the British campaign but how are the 2nd rate ship handled at the Trafalgar battle ? Didn't they provide a model to represent the following ships :

HMS Temeraire 98 guns

HMS Neptune 98 guns

HMS Dreadnought 98 guns

HMS Prince 98 guns

If not i think the easiest way should be to start from the Victory model and to remove the quarterdeck & forecastle guns.

Edited by Epaminondas