Game-Labs Forum

Designability

Yesterday I was relating to what seemed like slight balance issues with one of the missions, in which I was able to mount 18in guns against dreadnoughts' 14-15in guns. I also mentioned that I filled in what mounts that could not be occupied by 18in with 15in, 16in, 17in guns.

The first person to respond pointed out that my design derailed completely from the original idea of the all-big-gun battleship, which was most notable for simply having all its main battery of the same calibre.

I had a think about that, and noted that in the Shipyard you don't actually have the ability to place Main / Secondary towers wherever you want on a ship, which leads to not as many places to put funnels, main battery turrets, secondaries, torpedo launchers, etc.

This lack of placement makes sense in a lot of the earlier ships, but starts just getting silly when you get to those BB's that have entirely flat decks.

I'm not asking for placement anywhere - I just think that the range of designs possible could be drastically expanded by simply making attachment nodes in a line down the entire deck.

I can't think of really any reason not to add in these things...

But that's what a forum's for, after all.

Thoughts?

Edited by Kommandant Flauschige

Its been said like a thousand times that better placement for towers, funnels, barbettes, and secondary guns is needed. They've added some but I also think at times they've stated that restrictions on our ability to design is because the AI can't properly design ships without heavy restrictions. Which is lame imo but I'm not a game dev so what do I know about coding and all that. That might not be related to the towers and barbettes and whatnot but maybe it is.