Game-Labs Forum

Port battle BR balancing

With port bonuses some large nations have better position to build specialized ships for port battles. Those purpose build tanks have 15-20% better stats than regular ships, which makes them basically one class higher ranks, although their BR is still the same. It is than not matter of player skill, wind or better commander tactic to defeat such force if you cannot outnumber them. 

What if the BR of a ship is modified depending on amount bonuses?

I.e. if the final stats of the ship in terms of HP, Armor thickness, Speed and amount of crew is 15% better than base value, the BR will be also higher. Also maybe sinking higher BR ship can result in more points...

Edited by Armored_Sheep
  • Like 1

Imo, upgrades and all extra bonus should change the BR of a ship.

The reasoning behind this is easy to understand. I can equip and stack several thickness mods so a third rate would have same thickness as first rates. Also I can make a third rate even faster than an endymion. 

Dynamic BR would promote more fair battles as it is not the same fighting with a npc trinc than with a gold trinc of elite upgrades and S woods.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Armored_Sheep said:

What if the BR of a ship is modified depending on amount bonuses?

I.e. if the final stats of the ship in terms of HP, Armor thickness, Speed and amount of crew is 15% better than base value, the BR will be also higher...

The idea of dynamic BR was suggested many times before. Here for example:

Unfortunately  it seems that devs are more interested now in removing screening and adding 1st rate DLC

• Like 2

A very good thought, i claimed with others since long time ago. I saw this in a big screening action (as part of a port battle). The enemy forces, even when they count more than twice more ships, had a tremendous superiority in 1:1 broadside fightings. The most ships of our screening force were "normal" ships with a variety of  good quality components. But they had no chances against the seasoned wood ships from the enemy force. Battle was over in 10 minutes.

So it would be helpful to install such a regulation (as Malcolm and amoured sheep demands)  for PB and open water battles, when one of the oponent has a strong superiority in the technical side of the ships.

So we would get back more even battles and then tactical and sailing skills will get their importance back. To the devs: Pls think about that. For all players with no exclusive gate to the "Special goodies" is it now like fighting with a wooden stick against a real iron sword.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Montagnes said:

Imo, upgrades and all extra bonus should change the BR of a ship.

The reasoning behind this is easy to understand. I can equip and stack several thickness mods so a third rate would have same thickness as first rates. Also I can make a third rate even faster than an endymion. 

Dynamic BR would promote more fair battles as it is not the same fighting with a npc trinc than with a gold trinc of elite upgrades and S woods.

This is a good idea when you think about it.  Upgraded ships have more BR.  Captured ships considerably lower.  This would encourage screeners to use crafted ships and help correct one of Admin's problems.