Game-Labs Forum

What would you be willing to pay for Naval Action MMO?

Community Payment Preferences  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Core payment model

• Free to play
    • Buy once, Play forever
    • Buy per Expansion
    • Buy game + montly subscription to play
    • Montly Subscription only
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. Amount I'm willing to pay (€ or $)

• I do not want to pay
    • Buy: $ 10.00 - $ 15.00
    • Buy: $ 16.00 - $ 25.00
    • Buy: $ 36.00 - $ 45.00
    • Buy: $ 46.00 - $ 55.00
    • Buy: $ 56.00 - $ 65.00
    • Buy: $ 66.00 or more
    • Monthly: $ 1.00 - $ 3.00
    • Monthly: $ 4.00 - $ 8.00
    • Monthly: $ 9.00 - $ 15.00
    • Monthly: $ 16.00 - $ 24.00
    • Monthly: $ 25.00 or more
  3. 3. Paid extras ('micro'-transactions)

• No premium content, at all
    • Only cosmetic changes (no effect on gameplay whatsoever, but looks cool)
    • Progression improvements (pay-for-advantage)
    • Performance boost (pay-to-win)
    • Premium ships (pay-to-win, gold plated)
    • Premium ships (balanced, not necessarily better than non-premium ships)

Let me explain some other issue with 'micro'-transactions for cosmetic stuff.

Generally, the most effort goes into where the most money comes from, it is an inherent part of our capitalist market model. So, if the game is (in part) paid for by the 'micro'-transactions for cosmetic stuff and vanity items, it is only logical that a good deal of the development resources are used to make sure there is a fair selection of these items and that new items are introduced regularly enough to ensure a steady cash-flow. After all, it is this cash-flow which makes sure you stay in business.

If on the other hand, the game is paid for either in the Buy once, Play forever, or in the Monthly subscription payment models, the money comes from the customers being happy enough with the core gameplay to continue buying the game/pay their monthly subscription fee. So, contrary to the 'micro'-transactions payment model, the development effort is far more likely to go into improving the core gameplay, instead of cosmetic changes.

I for one would love the development effort to be focused on making the actual game as great as possible, and I will gladly miss out on a different paint scheme for my ships if that is what is required to keep the developers focused on improving the main game.

~Brigand

^^Same thoughts Brigand.

This is why I think there should be paid expansions.  The world outside the Caribbean could be one.  New and different ships another, etc etc.

I haven't played guild wars so I don't know how that worked out.  But I know the devs need money to continue to support the game and develop new content.  Hopefully Steam will help tremendously and tons and tons of people will buy the game.

• Like 1

I would have no problem at all paying a monthly subscription for this game.  This would give the devs a continuous stream of revenue to continue content development.  I'd also be willing to crack my wallet open if there were cool vanity items, within reason of course. 

Love your profile pic! PS I don't think they take berries...

I don't know how much I will spend, its too early to tell, premium ships generally aren't better then non-premium ones, cosmetic might be a good option, many players buy those things, especially if it makes your own ship stand out of the rest.

I would buy the game and pay a monthly fee, thos game deserves some of my money, I got my wallet ready.

I am a bit fan of a paid subscription model but without having to buy the box.   Download game free, get to play for 30 days, then if you get hooked, $15 a month for access to all content.  One of the reasons for this is for a game to really improve, there has to be a source of revenue and unfortunately free-to-play game usually get out of hand with the cash shop and it ends up costing outrageous amounts to play.   Rather just pay monthly and not worry about having to buy bank slots, inventory space, ship bays and all that crap.

I am also not opposed to things like premium ships and cosmetics if done right.  For example, maybe a premium 32 gun frigate that performs exactly like another 32 gun frigate accessible in game but with fancy decorations and sails that sells for like $10 would be nice.  

The models I have seen that make sence:

- Pay low price for the game and monthly fee but new content added for free (monthly fee is payment for game updates, new content.)

- Don't pay anything for the game, no monthly fees but pay for everything but standard equipment in the game.

- Pay premium price for the game, no subscription fee but pay for expansions (don't think this would really apply here as the globe is the limit of expansions unless it is some other form of gameplay expansions)

Personally I hate the idea of pay to win and only agree with vanity items to be purchased in game with out-of-game money. For me I have liked the pay as you go option...say $15 for the game and a month free to start which gives you an idea of if you want to play and pay as you go...basically an "is it worth it" test. From there you pay maybe $15 a month subscription fee but the game is constantly being developed and new content added every few months. For me this says the developers have faith in thier product...the more you have to invest to start playing a game, in my opinion, the more it looks like a money grab rather than "we have a really awesome product here and we are confident it will continue to grow".

If you look at even the lower end MMO's that have roughly say 200,000 subs, that's roughly $3M a month. Top tier MMO's like WOW have over 10 million subs at the same monthly fee making roughly $150M each month. I would imagine Game-Labs would have done the market research to get an idea of how many subs they would have for this sort of game...200,000 maybe not but I have no idea. Either way, charging a premium game purchase fee plus a subscription plus pay for premium content would be enough to deter most from participating. Any game developer needs to realize that for an MMO to be sucessful you need the subs for success of the player experience and financial success. The financial success needs to be an offshoot of the player experience success eather than trying to cash in right away. The more road blocks and deterents you throw in the way of gaining those subs the more you are shooting yourself in the foot. This is why some newer MMO's have been taking on the free-to-play model with the need to purchase most of the gear in game as the free-to-play aspect gets more people in to play thus filling the "world" in which everyone plays. That being said I don't think I'm saying anything that most of you don't already know.

• 11 months later...

I would suggest you guys offer some form of trials sometime so people can test it for a bit, maybe 7 or 15 days before they buy. The only reason I would advise against the free to play model is alts and because that would surely ruin the economy.