Game-Labs Forum

American cannons?

Sturm561

Playing the American campaign (first time through) and purchased a ship, however it came with no cannons and I have no clue on how I can get more cannons.  I think I may need to increase the admiralty available through experience points, but there is nothing there to say it's the correct way (I'm just guessing at this) and without a guide I am just hoping to get lucky somehow.  Is this a bug?  Or am I not doing something correctly?

2 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

If I'm remembering correctly you need to get past the battle of bunker hill before american cannons are available. Though if you choose the naval only option that is a bit of an issue. Might want to f11 report this just in case.

Thanks.  For the battle of Bunker Hill I actually only played the land battle and I believe I picked up some 6lbers there, and that was enough to put a few on a newly purchased ship, however it still left me waaaaay short.  I'm beginning to think that I need to put more points in the admiralty assortment bin.

7 minutes ago, WilliamTheIII said:

I thought you were required to get the basic cannon tech before you can actually have cannons. Perhaps I am experiencing the same bug he is and just assume it was a lack of tech.

At this point I have 3 experience points put into the admiralty assortment bin so I'm not sure if I need more or if I'm missing some tech I haven't researched yet. I'm still plugging along and maybe it'll come to me as I progress.  I do not have the basic cannon tech and I have no clue as to how to get there as it seems the techs offered are quite random and I don't know where a tech tree may be so I can make a better choice to move forward.

Edited by Sturm561
additional info

2 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Assortment would be the place to put points to increase the store amounts. I usually just capture ships, buy them with rep, and use whatever cannons come included instead of buying them directly with money.

I usually do too, however I wanted to get a larger ship to fight the Lenox and so I bought one.  Also I figure since this is early access (which I look at as Beta 2 testing) I try to explore all avenues and give things a try that I would normally never do to help out.  The Ultimate series are by far my favorite games and I will try my best to help them succeed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WilliamTheIII said:

I thought you were required to get the basic cannon tech before you can actually have cannons. Perhaps I am experiencing the same bug he is and just assume it was a lack of tech.

At one point they just showed up once you were far enough in the campaign. Might have changed, or I just bought all the research without noticing what they added.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CRASHS said:

that's kinda dumb when you can randomly not be able to buy cannons for the entire game

Yeah, I went though a whole American campaign and never once got the tech for cannons for my infantry.  As for guns for ships I did the Escape instead of Bunker Hill and had a few captures so I had ships I didn't have to buy a ship and put guns on it but I found more of a problem with money.  Sure the shop at this point has no guns for ships and even officers to man the ships I captured were zilch.

I did sell some ship guns to the shop so I had some in the shop and they eventually come as others have mentioned. The only nice thing is by doing the first two sea battles instead of Bunker is if you can capture a lot of ships you can do different things like get rep, own a ship, dismount the guns then sell the ship and you will have a few guns in your inventory so if you buy a ship which comes with no guns you will have some in your inventory early in the game. The only bad thing skipping Bunker Hill is I ended up with too many ships that I couldn't afford so I broke the bank and I missed out on developing two good infantry units.  

Sorry I may have went off topic a little but don't slam me for giving some info!

21 hours ago, CRASHS said:

that's kinda dumb when you can randomly not be able to buy cannons for the entire game

I think its almost impossible for this to happen as its normally one of the first techs your will see (at least for ships). I have no idea if there are weights on the tech or not and hopefully you are guaranteed to see the tech.

I’m on 3.4 in the US campaign, with the battle of Yarmouth as the major battle for that stage, and have yet to see a common in the store or the industry tech. Also, the best ship I can buy from the store is a 7th rate and that hasn’t refreshed in two stages. Is this how the mechanic is supposed to be? Or have I run into a problem?