Game-Labs Forum

Loki rune and griefing

This is mostly a question to the mechanics of the loki rune, so for the case in point I have no real interest in handing over any punishments to anyone. 

I'd like to ask wether or not griefing is allowed with the use of the loki rune? I.e. joining a battle with no other intent than running to waste time for the player in battle. I haven't experienced it myself since  I don't do PvE, but I would like some clarification to the question of wether it's allowed?

https://imgur.com/a/NJo3bTk

For some reason I can't upload the .jpeg but in the ss provided a player clearly states the intention to run and not to fight. As I see it it's poor sportsmanship, if he has joined a losing battle he can always surrender and thus cease to waste the opponents time in the battle.

To summarize:

Is it an offence of the griefing rule to use a loki rune to waste another players time in a battle?

On more than one occasion I jumped into a battle and was placed in command of a rather beat to crap LGV. Since there is no option to chose which ship you wind up in there probably will not be any clear cut rules that forces someone who uses a loki rune to actually fight. The whole idea behind Loki runes is that they are to cause mayhem and force pvp upon players that would normally avoid it. This was part of the issue when it was forced onto the PVE server. 

As for the idea of griefing, taking the target away from the other player is always an option because it denies them the xp and loot.

Most of the time, it will drop you into a ship that is already shot to pieces, I say this because one night I had to join and return to port 4 times before actually entering a battle (took about 4 min) and in that battle I was in an LGV that was already down to 40% sails vs a frigate. 

When a Loki Rune join hostility missions it can be extremely counter productive when they decide to just sail away. IMO that is grefing! I experienced this in a hostility mission the other day, right befor we encountered you leaving after doing a hostility mission your self. That is PvE btw so your OP is not correct ;) 

I ussually try to open communications with the other player when i'm a loki.

On some occasions I made an agreement not to sink the other player (should he end up losing). I've gotten quite a few compliments from players that weren't really wanting to fight me (another player) afterwards. I have even had one player who didn't want to use his reps (until he actually hadto to survive), because he knew he was fighting a loki. When ending up against an obvious new player, I sometimes only fire one gun instead of the whole broadside, or I push them in the wind (like a boarder would do) and then escape from the boarding and let them try again ... no point in murdering a new guy, is there?

But yeah, I don't get why anybody that uses a rune, would then try to run away in the battle ... Why did you even use the rune for in the first place? You know you will be in an inferior ship (makes no differene to me, I sail crap in open world all the time) and not likely or supposed to win. You also know that you won't get any xp or gold, so not playing as a loki can only be griefing?

I have had players that run away as soon as they see it's a loki they are fighting ... I hunt them down as long as i can then (easy to be denied as they only have to chain me once) ... one could say that the player is griefing the loki-player? People have ran away while they were full health and the ship I got was already down to half structure and only half a flank of armour on one side left ... all they had to do was fire one more broadside to make me immobile, but they choose to run away ... I'd say that is griefing  ( 😉 )  I demand to get sunk in every battle!!!

Two situations come to mind:

Once I Lokied into a 6th rate, Mercury if I recall, and I was facing a guy in a 4th rate. I PM’d the guy to ask if he was trying to capture it for future use. I got no answer so I did a bit of battle and then ran and escaped. I would have let him capture but he was apparently (as he was trying to sink me) just farming.

Another, I Lokied into a healthy Pickle and the player was in a Privateer. He was obviously inexperienced. I gave him a fight for over an hour. During that time I PM’d him some feedback on things he could have done differently to be victorious. Eventually he demasted me and I surrendered but I would not have sunk him if we had gotten to that point. I had fun trying out a ship that I have rarely sailed and I hope he had fun with the challenge.

One might say that I was forcing others to play my game but as long as Loki is a thing, everyone on the PVP server must assume that if you attack an AI, it may not stay AI. The PVE server offers unlimited “safe” AI combat. The PVP server means at anytime, any of us may find ourselves competing with another player. I like that. 

Maybe its time that the player who gets Lokied is also anonymous. Some people do not like random people messaging them telling them what they should be doing or trolling them if they have played badly. The player who uses the Loki is anonymous, so maybe the Lokied player should just appear as "enemy Player".

Or better still just remove Loki Runes from the game.