Game-Labs Forum

Any love for the only Dreadnought still in existance?

cj95

18 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Why is she not in drydock?

That's an ongoing process. Most warship museums in the US are privately funded with the consequence that money is never certain, so maintenance is naturally a constant priority over permanent preservation. Texas is currently scheduled for some hull restoration, and then she's supposed to get the Mikasa treatment sometime in the future.

The one in worse shape than all the others is North Carolina. The hull beneath the waterline has rusted so badly that in some places it's almost paper-thin.

As they're important and physical pieces of history, I tend to donate small amounts to the various warship museum foundations when I can.

28 minutes ago, killjoy1941 said:

That's an ongoing process. Most warship museums in the US are privately funded with the consequence that money is never certain, so maintenance is naturally a constant priority over permanent preservation. Texas is currently scheduled for some hull restoration, and then she's supposed to get the Mikasa treatment sometime in the future.

The one in worse shape than all the others is North Carolina. The hull beneath the waterline has rusted so badly that in some places it's almost paper-thin.

As they're important and physical pieces of history, I tend to donate small amounts to the various warship museum foundations when I can.

Yeah, they need to be put into drydocks asap, not sure what mental sod thought putting old arse iron ships in salty water for god knows how long was a good idea but should be sacked and then put onto land so they don't fork out their soul while trying to maintain them (also reduces costs drastically, but good luck to them trying to get suits to try to actually use their brains half the time).

Oh well, if they don't leave the waters soon these ships will be scrapped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Lots of Sacrificial anodes.  We just put HMCS Sackville (WWII) back in the water with hundreds of these.  Quite right though...they need to be dry. 

anode.png

I mean don't get me wrong, i love seeing them in the waters, but sadly the only way we can properly maintain these beasts is to put them on land or in dry docks. Shame a few billionaires couldn't help with that. Otherwise i don't see a long future for them (wish britain was able to save one KGV BB or even bloody warspite).

Shame they couldn't make fakes or something using modern techniques and offer little rides lol.

15 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

(also reduces costs drastically, but good luck to them trying to get suits to try to actually use their brains half the time).

In a nutshell.

They're slowly being transferred over to the National Park Service, but those fights are lengthy and Congress doesn't even view the Park Service as a national asset, to say nothing of adding warships to its inventory of national treasures. Meanwhile, it's basically up to ordinary citizens to privately fund ship maintenance so they don't sink.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, killjoy1941 said:

In a nutshell.

They're slowly being transferred over to the National Park Service, but those fights are lengthy and Congress doesn't even view the Park Service as a national asset, to say nothing of adding warships to its inventory of national treasures. Meanwhile, it's basically up to ordinary citizens to privately fund ship maintenance so they don't sink.

Sad really, but at least texas still exists, wish we still had miss warspite. Also another reason why having these ships around is important is to physically show people that these events actually took place and show them the actual weapons used and made at the time (litterally as well).

Not sure if we will still be around in 300 years time but i could see people saying something along the lines of 'well i dont believe ww2 ever took place or no such thing existed then!' etc.

Makes me wonder which ships from which fictional universe would exist or closely resemble those if we go into the stars by then.

• Like 1

Just now, Cptbarney said:

Sad really, but at least texas still exists, wish we still had miss warspite. Also another reason why having these ships around is important is to physically show people that these events actually took place and show them the actual weapons used and made at the time (literally as well).

Absolutely. Enterprise was scrapped too.

1 minute ago, Cptbarney said:

Not sure if we will still be around in 300 years time but i could see people saying something along the lines of 'well i dont believe ww2 ever took place or no such thing existed then!' etc.

Makes me wonder which ships from which fictional universe would exist or closely resemble those if we go into the stars by then.

They'd almost certainly look the ones from The Expanse literary series, though with a lot more AI-controlled, automated systems.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DougToss said:

Does anyone know why Warspite and Enterprise were not turned into museums? 

No money, europe was basically bankrupt by then, for enty i have no clue.

could of just stuck warspite into a dock until much later on.

1 hour ago, DougToss said:

Does anyone know why Warspite and Enterprise were not turned into museums? 

After the war, Americans mostly wanted to move past it. For Enterprise, there was an effort by her former crew to raise money for her preservation, but it was mostly met with indifference by the public at large. The effort failed and she was broken up for scrap. It was only three to four decades later when interest in preserving the memory of the war, particularly in the form of veteran testimony and physical objects/vehicles, that the loss of the most storied warship in US history was truly realized.

Money is the answer to all these questions.   USS Olympia, the oldest steel warship still in existence is barely hanging on as well.

Another issue is that scrapping them, because of environmental remediation, costs about has much as preserving them.  A constant state of limbo, sadly.  I have been aboard North Carolina and USS Alabama.  Worth doing.