Game-Labs Forum

Hull speed?

Ikahime

Right now, speed only seems to be determined by horsepower, but in real life the speed of a ship is limited by the shape of it's hull, with faster ships having to be longer and thinner. This means that some battle-cruisers can be longer than regular dreadnoughts, and can have a hard time turning.

Will this eventually be represented in game?

This is already implemented. Each Hull type (BB, BC, CL, etc.) requires different horsepower to achieve the same speed according to displacement.

Additionally,  the special "Hull Form" statistic provides certain ship keeping/maneuverability characteristics, further modified by "length to beam" ratio (Longer hulls lose less speed while turning and thus can have better acceleration).

Several other design aspects of the ship (inertia measurements, funnel efficiency etc.) affect ship speed and maneuverability, too many to mention here in this answer. Later we will include this information to a feature post in our web site.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ikahime said:

Right now, speed only seems to be determined by horsepower, but in real life the speed of a ship is limited by the shape of it's hull, with faster ships having to be longer and thinner. This means that some battle-cruisers can be longer than regular dreadnoughts, and can have a hard time turning.

This is only true for displacement ships, and even then only for those without power (aka Sails).  Otherwise, simply throwing more power at the problem will result in more speed, plowing through the "hull wave" is not much of a problem.  Now for Torpedo Boats and some destroyers, they can get up on plane, which results in even faster speeds since there is less hull in the water.  (Think surfing on your own wave).

Longer ships no longer mean larger turning radius anymore with thrusters a ship can turn 180 degrees within its own length, just not at full speed...

On 10/10/2019 at 5:31 AM, Ikahime said:

Wave making resistance depends dramatically on the general proportions and shape of the hull: many modern displacement designs can easily exceed their hull speed.
Bismarck i think slower than his theoretical hull speed. (800ft at waterline gives us 37 knots theoretical speed). 

Even if powered vessels can surpass their hull speed, shouldn't the shape of the hull will still have an effect on how much horsepower is required to reach specific speeds?

As for bow thusters, I don't think they existed in the dreadnought age, but if they did they would be an expensive upgrade option and not standard. Same for destroyers capable of planing, IIRC it requires it's own hull shape.

My point is I hope to see more sliders and hull options in the future.

17 hours ago, admin said:

Wave making resistance depends dramatically on the general proportions and shape of the hull: many modern displacement designs can easily exceed their hull speed.
Bismarck i think slower than his theoretical hull speed. (800ft at waterline gives us 37 knots theoretical speed). 

37.9 to be exact. 😉

Back to OP. The game already models this from what I’ve seen, more displacement requires more HP and thus weight to achieve same speed as lesser displacement. 

TB’s were the only WWI-WWII warships which were designed to plane, but there are accounts of frigates and destroyers planing as well.