Game-Labs Forum

A way to reward the loser.

There have been numerous suggestions to help players deal with and recover from loss. Me losing a ship with mods is annoying. The same thing happening to a new player can be devastating. When you face huge odds in a battle there is nothing to be gained by fighting except the “thrill” of the battle which can admittedly sometimes be fun but is often obviously futile and just plain annoying. Players avoid fights or run when they don’t think they can win. The XP from a battle you lose is negligible even to non Admirals who actually need rank XP. This small gain is negligible to the loss of a ship. It discourages risk taking.

Proposal to reward the valiant fighter:

If the loser deals more damage than the actual ship he is sailing, then grant a reward. Obviously this would be significantly less reward than what the victor gets. Is there a single number we can equate with a ship? For example, let’s say I’m in a Trinc. I fight valiantly against an enemy player fleet. I deal 1.5x a Trinc’s worth of damage to enemies but ultimately sink without any enemy players heading to the bottom. The multiple of damage required could be negotaiated but hopefully the idea is clear. Reward this effort.

I realize rewarding a Captain for a battle he loses is not historical, but does it matter if that realism hurts the game?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Farrago said:

There have been numerous suggestions to help players deal with and recover from loss. Me losing a ship with mods is annoying. The same thing happening to a new player can be devastating. When you face huge odds in a battle there is nothing to be gained by fighting except the “thrill” of the battle which can admittedly sometimes be fun but is often obviously futile and just plain annoying. Players avoid fights or run when they don’t think they can win. The XP from a battle you lose is negligible even to non Admirals who actually need rank XP. This small gain is negligible to the loss of a ship. It discourages risk taking.

Proposal to reward the valiant fighter:

If the loser deals more damage than the actual ship he is sailing, then grant a reward. Obviously this would be significantly less reward than what the victor gets. Is there a single number we can equate with a ship? For example, let’s say I’m in a Trinc. I fight valiantly against an enemy player fleet. I deal 1.5x a Trinc’s worth of damage to enemies but ultimately sink without any enemy players heading to the bottom. The multiple of damage required could be negotaiated but hopefully the idea is clear. Reward this effort.

I realize rewarding a Captain for a battle he loses is not historical, but does it matter if that realism hurts the game?

As far as I am aware, xp from battle already has damaged factored into it. If no one dies, but you do damage, you still get xp and some reals (I think.) My recommendation is don't use it if you can't lose it. Also, "don't suck." - KoC

Edited by Galt

6 minutes ago, Galt said:

As far as I am aware, xp from battle already has damaged factored into it. If no one dies, but you do damage, you still get xp and some reals (I think.) My recommendation is don't use it if you can't lose it. Also, "don't suck." - KoC

Your recommendation makes his case look even stronger though. 'It discourages risk taking'

4 minutes ago, Galt said:

I get what you’re saying but I’m pretty sure you only get XP, no reals.

Also, KoC’s philosophy is perhaps not the best for getting and keeping new players in the game. Long ago an alt of mine sailed with him and his gang for a few patrols. I witnessed him in his Trinc and 6 or 7 others giggling all the way in TeamSpeak to sinking a single low ranking player who was in a Snow.

I don't like where this will lead us to be honest. I want new players to enjoy the game as much as possible but at the same time there has to be some meaning to economy and ship value / loss. We also already have DLC ships and ship ensurance now and you get XP for damage aswell, even if you are sinking. If we go further we might aswell remove crafting and ship cost and make all ships redeemable with a cooldown.

• Like 1