Game-Labs Forum

New players and trading / shop ships

I think it should be considered to add the trader snow as default NPC shop ship for new players. It would allow new players to get into trading without having to find and capture a trader far away from their capital or depend on other players to get one. Also nobody has any reason to craft a trader snow or trader cutter when there are trader lynx and brig. I would think it makes sense to add these otherwise obsolete and inferior traders as bottom line ( traders cutter maybe even free and trader snow cheap ). It would also help to have it available when you are in need of a small transport but no player sold traders are available and no AI trader in OW is in sight.  The worst side effect of this could be too many traders in the OW?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

These are also one of the easiest ships to craft... new players likely will have the capacity to craft their own even as part of going through the tutorial... so I guess I'm not sure this is a problem needing solving? I mean the whole point of the new interacting systems is to convince players that it's worth their time to leave the reinforcement zones...

Fair point but it is more like I envision some new player joining the game and wanting to make some cash with trading. Now he has to beg for a trader first, buy an overpriced one from market or go through the whole process of building a production chain and shipyard to build one themselves... I don't really see the point of warships being available from NPC but traders not.

49 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

I was given a few T Lynx and cash, by helpful players, and I have done the same for others starting out. 

Friendly interactions create a good atmosphere.

I am well aware of that and NA has a great community ( for the majority anyways ) but why should new players completely depend on that instead of having a basic trader readily available but still the chance of being gifted a better one with speed mods etc. ...?

1 minute ago, Sovereign said:

but why should new players completely depend on that instead of having a basic trader readily available but still the chance of being gifted a better one with speed mods etc. ...?

I'm not sure why players should be completely dependent on gifts instead of having free basic traders.  Interesting question.

What is the cost and availability of a basic trader lynx?  They used to be very affordable. 

2 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

What is the cost and availability of a basic trader lynx?  They used to be very affordable. 

I don't generally see them on the market. Given labor hours are the highest-value currency and shipbuilding for sale simply turns doubloons into reals, the ship market has suffered.

Edited by TheHaney

Just spotted a Admiralty T Brig in KPR for 5k reals.  It has Copper Plating, and Gazelle Bow Figure.  13.98 + 2.03 knots.  Nice ship,  I could outrun Requins in it.  I can trade 100 tons of Shop Goods for 2500 Reals.  So I could pay for it with two trade runs in a basic cutter.

There is a Trader Snow (Player built) for 8k Reals.   12.04 + 1.09 knots

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macjimm said:

People used to craft a bunch of them to start their crafting levels, since it was one of the few low Rate ships that would have a chance of selling.  Some people would ask other players to take them for free, but it's faster to drop them on the ship market.  Few people bother building ships to sell, otherwise.  Everyone's buildings closed down, teleports are expensive, new mechanics to try, new economy uncertainty, new risks, etc...  Starting on shipbuilding crafting levels isn't high on many minds at the moment.

Edited by Barbancourt
  • Like 1

On the pve server once in a while I used to go out and capture a bunch in a row and put them up cheap for sale in the capital.  No matter how many they always sold within 24 hrs or less.  I think that new players with low crew capacity like to have them.  It's not a bad suggestion for that reason.

• Like 3