Game-Labs Forum

I propose a slight change in how ammo is changed, simply that when another ammo type is selected It wont immediately reload but wait until the cannons have been fired and then reload with the selected ammo except when the button to select said ammo is held for about a second, changing ammo in the current way.

The reason I suggest this is simple, after firing a broadside or such as and then wanting to change ammo type you must start reloading again after already starting to reloading after firing. This will possibly add a few seconds extra until you have you cannons back and ready to fire, which could put you and your ship at an unfortunate tactical disadvantage.

• Like 4

No, you could use your shot as intended.  Sometimes I have ball shot loaded yet find myself within double shot range.  Rather than wasting the already loaded ammo and waiting to reload, I'll fire my single ball shot at the enemy and reload double right after.  Some damage is better than no damage.

Was changing ammunition without firing done at the time in the first place?  Removing wadding which has already been rammed home would present an interesting problem.  Moreover, what happens to the shot once the wadding is removed?  How about the powder?  

Well kaboki I don't think I made it as clear as I should have above, but I think holding the wanted ammo type for about a second or so should change ammo the way it is currently implemented in the game.

And Balck, I dont know about unloading a cannon. But wouldn't a captain telling his officers to load a different kind of ammo after a shot be realistic and commonplace.  

Well kaboki I don't think I made it as clear as I should have above, but I think holding the wanted ammo type for about a second or so should change ammo the way it is currently implemented in the game.

And Balck, I dont know about unloading a cannon. But wouldn't a captain telling his officers to load a different kind of ammo after a shot be realistic and commonplace.  

Changing after firing is only common sense.  I'm not sold on changing while loaded still.  This is a topic that has been debated in the past.  I believe the current system is for the sake of game play more than anything else.  Understandably.

Ah I see, I misunderstood a little. Not sure I need this feature as Im quite happy with the current system and always plan ahead. But, ey, why not :) , only I would prefer the new feature too be the "hold for a few seconds" and that a quick push on the "change ammo" buttons would be as it always has been..

In the game as it stands, having reload select the next type of ammo without unloading guns would be far, far more useful.  If limited ammo were added at some point, an option to unload current ammo might be needed, but selection for loading next round would be still be the most useful in action.

As already noted, pulling loaded (or loading) ammo was very unusual, and probably seldom done in action.

Loads immediately? I guess, unless you mean instant load.

Yes that could have been more clear.

Guns are loaded. You hit the button to load double, it queues so next time the guns go off, that's what's loaded. If you hit the button twice, it unloads the current load and loads the double immediately.

Speaking of double, I was surprised to read how many ships used treble-shot at Trafalgar.

I think this is becoming common knowledge

--------------------------------------------------------

Posted by ampaholic on December 28, 10:36 PM in General discussions

regarding ammo types - I have spotted a bit of unrealistic behavior:

When you have loaded a cannon (during a fight) the ONLY way to unload it is to "fire" it, the Captain prefers you fire it at the enemy. Unloading a black powder gun without firing it "is" possible - but would be reserved for very limited situations and at anchor - as when firing it would wake the Admiral!

It's not safe to unload a cannon at sea except to fire it.

---

In the Game when you change ammo the game takes the time to unload what you already have loaded - without it being fired - what?

It SHOULD be that while you have chain loaded and you pick double ball - the game waits till you shoot the chain and THEN loads the double ball.

We are missing an entire shot cycle

In the game as it stands, having reload select the next type of ammo without unloading guns would be far, far more useful.  If limited ammo were added at some point, an option to unload current ammo might be needed, but selection for loading next round would be still be the most useful in action.

As already noted, pulling loaded (or loading) ammo was very unusual, and probably seldom done in action.

It would NEVER be done in action!

Very unsafe