Game-Labs Forum

too hard for new players

I started this game 3 weeks ago played like 150 hours(absolutely love it) but if i did not join a clan willing to help me at every turn(KOTO) right away this game is impossible. The lower level missions put you up against multiple ships of your tier or  a single ship of a higher tier.  And then you get into a inde and your missions now pay nothing because they haven't changed since the beginning.  You cant run 4th rate missions because you dont have enough crew to use a 4th rate till the third to top rank(makes no sense why there is virtually 3 5th ranks) and then once your at 3rd rate with a decent ship grinding is in the right place.  But as a new player its hard to get to that point you know.

TLDR early missions too hard, no rank for 4th rate, then leveling gets easier.

Thanks and sail safe,

Squeekydoor

• Like 5

Well, i am a newcomer as you as well. The game is indeed difficult but not impossible: you can ménage the combat missions even vs three NPC but it tooks time and a little bit tactics. 

My humble suggestion is: don't go too wider, stay on your "safe zone" more often, and for "safe zone" I don't mean "green zone" but in that comfortable situation in which you feel yourself good and gradually, rise it. I, according to my rank, could sail up 4th rate ship but I sail a 6th rate ones and very often a basic cutter to save money and those stuffs you can obtain sinking NPCs. I don't mean you cannot PvP, just both and when you have good money and stuffs in "bank", start to make just PvP, if you want to play alone, without a clan.

As @rediii wisely told me, try to learn from your mistakes: if someone, for example, snipes you from distance, that means you can, with time and the right perks perhaps, do it too. Same opportunity for all, the only difference is that they use them at best and you not. 

The game is hard but not impossible to play: keep in mind that the Monster Players you can meet today, "yesturday" they were noobs. And if they succeeded, you can do it, too.

Edited by blubasso

i did join a clan long after i build my first teak/wo essex wich i did solo fleet missions tried even pvp   after that even joining a clan i mostly gotten my own materials for ships      

the game has a steep learning curve and it wasnt easy at first but if you actualy give it time its alot of fun the part of getting better at the game is actualy lissening and learning from other people wich seems very hard for people to do because i see still people outside safety zone doing missions etc

I know I tried starting “fresh” alone. The first mission in a basic cutter puts you against a rookie brig. It’s not easy by any means, but it’s doable. That very next level mission, the first non-cutter level, I had a Navy brig and was put up against 3 snows... again, doable, but just barely... said screw it at that point, and left off solo missions. 

Who said this game is easy? It doesn't forgive you if you do mistakes, teaches you to be patient using a little tactics.

I had two 6the rate battles against three enemy ships: i barley escaped the first and i won the second after 45 minutes of fight. I survived with a fistful of sailors and 3/4 of my ship destroyed. 

I had fun. 

Joining a clan like KOTO will lead you to believe that you need to run missions to progress through the game. This is simply not true. Yes it is useful for the first few ranks, but you can earn much more money and get the same amount of experience from PvP. Don't let players trick you into thinking you need expensive ships and upgrades to PvP. For every skilled captain in an expensive ship, there are 20 players in fir/fir trash ships waiting to be sunk. Not to mention, it's the only true way to get better at combat in the game. 

It all depends on your priorities, just pointing out there are other options than the current course you are on ;)

40 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

Joining a clan like KOTO will lead you to believe that you need to run missions to progress through the game. This is simply not true. Yes it is useful for the first few ranks, but you can earn much more money and get the same amount of experience from PvP. Don't let players trick you into thinking you need expensive ships and upgrades to PvP. For every skilled captain in an expensive ship, there are 20 players in fir/fir trash ships waiting to be sunk. Not to mention, it's the only true way to get better at combat in the game. 

It all depends on your priorities, just pointing out there are other options than the current course you are on ;)

In regards to hours spent on PvP grinding and PvE grinding - if the objective is to increase in rank then the PvE grind is by far the most cost effective.

like ive progressed really well im 20k xp from the top level (curse) but the issue still stands that the beginning missions are too difficult to do when you first walk into the game.  The 1st 2nd 3rd 4th rank missions are easy.  But the beginner missions are actually kinda hard especially comparatively.

Thanks and sail safe,

Squeekydoor

• Like 1

Missions against multiple ships is easier if you can separate them.  Try a significant sail damage first on one ship and then run with the next ship to separate them, getting yourself more effectively a 1-on-1.  Then come back for the other ship after you sink the first.  Three ships is harder but same concept.

On ‎13‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 1:20 PM, blubasso said:

don't go too wider, stay on your "safe zone" more often, and for "safe zone" I don't mean "green zone" but in that comfortable situation in which you feel yourself good and gradually, rise it. I, according to my rank, could sail up 4th rate ship but I sail a 6th rate ones and very often a basic cutter to save money and those stuffs you can obtain sinking NPCs. I don't mean you cannot PvP, just both and when you have good money and stuffs in "bank", start to make just PvP, if you want to play alone, without a clan.

As @rediii wisely told me, try to learn from your mistakes: if someone, for example, snipes you from distance, that means you can, with time and the right perks perhaps, do it too. Same opportunity for all, the only difference is that they use them at best and you not. 

The game is hard but not impossible to play: keep in mind that the Monster Players you can meet today, "yesturday" they were noobs. And if they succeeded, you can do it, too.

This. I'm a noob in PVP too and try to learn every time i sail out :) 

Like its not hard once youve figured out how to play. The point of this post is it is very difficult until youve started to manually sail angle aim such things but your first mission agaisnt a brig or snow is hard, almost prohibitive for new bros.

Im just saying thief missions should be against a single rank 7 not vrs 2 or vrs rank 6.

And the 4th to top rank should have 470 crew while the previous one should be 350 and the one before that 250. The progression doesnt make sense otherwise.

Thanks and sail safe,

Squeekydoor