Game-Labs Forum

Removing guns to help speed ship handling

I was just reading about the HMS Java 50 gun frigate. She had a gun deck and a waist deck that had guns as well. The waist guns were removed due to experience showing they got in the way of the men handling the ship in a combat situation. Preventing them moving back and forth.

I wonder whether anybody would remove guns to save weight and get some crew back for the handling of the ship.

Most if those things as far as i know most where replaceble for like gargo and things. Taking guns away is more potbs like dumb guns if you run but they should not be able to be replaced in port.

Are you two talking about the same thing here?

Historically, many ships changed their gun sizes and layouts based on a perceived performance deficit.  In some cases, carronades on the quarterdeck/forecastle might be struck into the hold while at sea to increase the ship's weatherliness, or in response to a different threat profile for the area.  Would you strike an entire gun deck of 9-pounders while at sea?  Probably not.  There should be a performance difference when you choose different armaments for your vessel.  Going down in cannon size, or deciding not to put guns on a main deck that also served as a working area for the ship is a good idea (when done in port, or in the case of smaller guns on a quarterdeck/forecastle, when done while at sea and not in battle) and should have good/bad performance implications.  For example, I decided to put all 9'lb guns on my Surprise, when the default is 9s and 6s.  The increase in weight should have an impact on my performance, and I should have to make the choice between better broadside weight or better performance.  My understanding was that Captains made choices like that historically, so long as the victualling yard could be convinced to trade their guns out.

Additionally, one of the last things done when one was being chased by a superior foe and the foe was gaining on them was to dump the water and cannon overboard to lighten the ship and increase speed.  Whyever do you think you wouldn't be able to replace those guns once you got to port?  If you got away, and saved your ship from being destroyed or taken for certain, the Admiralty is going to thank you and replace your guns.  If you're a Privateer, you can shell out gold and replace them, same for a merchant.  Replacement of those guns and stores is going to be far less expensive to your wallet and/or reputation than losing an entire ship and having to ransom your crew.