Game-Labs Forum

Boarding redone?

Harsh_Winter

Question

To start with, I practised boarding a lot before wipe. Now something is not working right.
We all know that marines+ training+melee buffs + attack/counter attack while enemy use grenades will mean  your insta win. As you will slay 1/7 up to 1/4 of enemy's crew. He will get shock and lose next 2 rounds.

Hooray vicory and stuff. Tested this on brig vs brig. Working perfectly. 
But when I came to 5th rates everything changed. Like something went really wrong.

Look at the screenshots. Attack versus nades = my heavy losses. Same for Attack versus brace. I tried to use nades vs his attack. Extra heavy losses+ shock + defeat in next round. 

Tested it on different 5th rates. Let him pulled me and pulled him myself. Impossible. Yet Heavy losses.  

All the time. Like something really changed. I dont know what is wrong. It`s like my marines are not fighting at all. It seems to be a problem. Ofc charge without any infantry will mean losses. WHat do u think? 

I am out of ideas.

20171019211055_1.jpg

20171019211517_1.jpg

Edited by Harsh_Winter
  • Like 1

7 answers to this question

While the flow chart is handy it's not exactly perfect.  The probelm is that AI has all the board modes at like old green level and we don't.  What is killing the crap out of you is the Brace gets a hugh boost cause they have Barricades (increase firepower hurts).   You need to get the crew down.  The larger the crew a ship the more this is going to be effective for them.  Since you don't have barricades that is why he's doing so much damage to you while he attacks and you brace. I have barricades on my main char and I'll tell you I have gone in bordings with no other board mods and destroyed players players simply with that mod.   Toss in Marines and Muskets and I can pretty much finish even AI in 2-3 rounds.  The other thing is you need to get the moral down of the other guy to make such attacks effective.  That is why folks do the Attack than swtich to Muskets/Grendaes at the last moment on there defend.  It breaks the moral and of course effectively kills the crew.

Question you started that match with 10 less moral, Hammocks or crewspace build?   I fought a Wasa that was Bermuda/Crew Space the other day with marines vs my Board fit Moh/Teak Aggy and I thin the two things that harmed him even though he had well over 100 crew than me and more marines was his lower moral at start of the fight and two well I had Barricades.   Though that ship was complete board fit too so all my attacks would do more damage, but crewspace/hammocks isn't exactly a good thing in boarding if you start out with lower Moral than the other guy.

One thing they do need to do is tone down the chance of fire for Grendades.  No one carries the mods any more cause you light on fire faster than some one with open mag.   Though if you want to make a good fireship than load up Grenades, Open Mag, Fireship and to go over board the figerhead....I had no problem getting a Surprise to light up and boom with that set up in a port battle lol

eegsXYq.png

• Like 1

If you understand how boarding works you can win 99% of the time with no mods or prep against AI.  All of the mods mean nothing if you attack and his firepower is more than your melee. Or Visa versa if he is attacking. That chart is a good starter chart but you wont get a win with someone that 1/2 way knows how to board. You need to understand defend is not always the right move when being attacked.  How many Men you have means very little in boarding.  its all about moral and prep.  I have been know to let or take a hit just to slam someones prep to very low. So I can control next few moves or the the rest of the board that is the key.

You having 16 prep at end of fight tells me and Texas all we need to know.  If you have less than 30 prep we would eat you alive for next 2 or 3 moves.

I will be streaming NA-L this weekend come jump on Chan and I will board some for you and show you what I mean.

Edited by JobaSet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JobaSet said:

You having 16 prep at end of fight tells me and Texas all we need to know.  If you have less than 30 prep we would eat you alive for next 2 or 3 moves.

What does that mean, to us Noobs?  He started at preparation 98.  I don't even look at any of that stuff at top besides crew number since it doesn't mean much to me.

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Mr Texas attached same scheme I used making my youtube guide for Naval Action in my language(There is no guides for Naval Action in my language so I had to do some. Had.)

I am always used it now i Just know that nades vs attack will mean insta attack win. I cant find a barricades mod in admiralty. Why? Are you sure? Explain me in 1 simple sentence:
Why his nades attack 2 times better than my Melee charge with marines and Melee mods. 

Cuz this is what I do not get, so I asked you: Why "rock paper scissors" is not working anymore? Explain me like I am five. I dont think barricades super buff his nades attack. And I won earlier with 30 my morale vs 100 ai's morale, so it is definetely no a case. It was rock paper scissors for me all these moths. I missed somesthing. And I need to find our what. 

U see on the screenshot our first 5 rounds. What went wrong?
And yeah, AI had 78 vs 98 my prep. So It had to be easy win. Even though it is 3rd or 4th battle I lose without understanding of how????
Okay so barricades maybe be op. But what about his 34 nades kills? When I use nades vs attack I loose the fight. I need to know what mods ai have. 

20 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

What does that mean, to us Noobs?  He started at preparation 98.  I don't even look at any of that stuff at top besides crew number since it doesn't mean much to me.

Prep is easily gain even while defending.  Brace is your friend as long as no nades.  Once you go below 25 you can 't do anything at 6 sec left.  But I can do any thing i want to you and burn very little prep.  If you/I have any mods i will get a multiplier. 

11 hours ago, Harsh_Winter said:

So far I made a conclusion: AI's weak spot is musket fire. I should rework ship mods with muskets. I dont know how but ai is always short on muskets and he suffers big losses no matter what. 

Not true depends on Ships.  Some ships have better cannons, While other will have better Grenades, Even muskets. Size of the Ship will mean something shooting down on someone is easier than up at some one.  The only thing that matters in Boarding is Your firepower(melee when attacking) is greater than theirs. your fire power = 20 and theirs = 36 you are going to lose moral and a lot of men.  It changes as battle moves also.

The trick is to know what combo you need to always out firepower them with very little prep used. "Granted pirate on Pirate with and alt to test every possible combo has helped." One of the reasons I almost never run same setup for boarding for more than a few days.  I can look at your fire power (Muskets,Nades, Cannons) against my brace and know what I need to do when I see that again.   Even in PVP I have drooped below 40 prep and moral and then brace and then Laff  because I still won because they last sec Attack with only 60 prep against my brace and now they have no prep. Ask around no 1st rate wants me to board them in my 4th rate and they may have 2x crew than me. 1st I am prob not alone and can drag out a board forever getting help from my friend, and 2nd If when they make any kind of mistake I will take their ship.