Game-Labs Forum

[CO-OP] Noob Zone, sort of

I understand that NA bleeds players, and that the majority of new players believes that you made starting out in NA as a lvl one simply waay too hard! I also hear a lot of people talking about EvE and those 'high sec/low sec' sectors. So why shouldn't we try to turn every nation's capital region into a sort of high security sector where new players have an easier time doing their grind missions? I mean, it is obvious to me, at this point, that new players assume that because they spawn at the capital, they're also supposed to stay there to do their missions.. I even read that in nation chat and in steam reviews several times by now, so perhaps we should start to accept this fact of life rather than to simply try to ridicule new players and call them noobs for that?

In order to make the captial region more 'high sec-like', we could, for example, try to increase the 'join timers' for the owners of the capital region, so that people have more time to come to each other's defense? 

However, another thing that I find severely irritating is that it is very hard for someone in the OW to find out if an ongoing battle was PvP or not! Furthermore, many people will even become upset with other players when they jump into their battle instances out of fear that they might steal their reward! This makes trying to help each other even more difficult! I believe the game should make it more obvious if a battle was pvp or not. Maybe make it even so that, besides adding a PvP marker when you click on a battle in the OW, players inside a battle instance can call for HELP what would be indicated when you click on a battle in the OW?

NA is still in early access and many player convenience features aren't even remotely touched yet by the devs (item descriptions etc.), but at this point, I believe, NA really starts to bleed players and exponentially accumulates negative steam reviews due to player inconveniences such as the situation described in this thread. 

Personally, I don't really care, I don't even own an outpost in my captial, but I heard from a lot of new players that they have no chance to start in NA due to grinds and ganks. I think you should really encourage 'group grinding' ('fleeting' in potbs language). Due to the vast amounts of grinds, necessary to lvl up, buy cannons et cetera in NA, new people should ask in nation chat all the time for that, but somehow I rarely ever see it.. You seem to lock every player in his own 'lone wolf' battle instance and even make players angry when other players join their battle! 

Devs, I hope you start to understand where I am going with this.. 

Edited by HarryButpain

The problem with zones as you suggest is that they end up being used by experienced players to grind PvE missions rather than heading out into OW. This leads to less people in OW and thus kills PvP in the game.

I learnt very early on in the game to move away from the capital region, I think I read it in one of the guides. At the time the biggest risk in the starting areas was not the risk of being jumped by enemies but being robbed by your own side, or having to compete against others for targets. Moving away from the capital was the best thing I did early on and I would recommend it to any new player, not only does it get you away from the ganks around the capital region but it gets you out to explore the world and that is best when you are still in a basic cutter when getting sunk costs you nothing.

Bringing in mechanics that encourages new players to hug the capital region is bad as those players then become too complacent and it is a shock to them when they do leave that zone later on in probably a more expensive ship. What the game needs is better guides and player support for new players to help them through the initial learning curve. I played Eve and to tell the truth I ended up being a player that really only played in Hi-Sec as when given a choice I always went for the safer option.

Ye, there are many older players trying to explain to them in nat chat that they should leave their capital when they start with their newbie rants, but for whatever reason they still seem to stubbornly refuse to listen and rather write angry steam reviews. I couldn't figure out yet why that is exactly. Maybe because they don't wanna afk sail in their cutter for too long? 

I saw in many steam reviews the anger about the lack of a tutorial. That might be indeed very helpful! I think the devs of planetside 2 use integrated youtube videos as tutorials in their game. Maybe devs wanna approach someone on youtube about the creation of tutorial videos or something?

Edited by HarryButpain