Game-Labs Forum

CSA army size after Chickamauga

Well the total army size doesn't really matter, it's the number of troops you can bring in the 24-24-15 corps at Cold  Harbor that matter. 

Having extra troops that you don't deploy for big battles is quite bad for you since the AI autoscales to match your total troop numbers. 

And this is why it's better to have manpower reserves in the piggy bank then to have built up troops not being deployed... The way I understand the game and scaling now (but I might be wrong) and playing mainly as the CSA, I try to build up a manpower reserve during the campaign an limit my army size to some extent. I once had a massive 60k army for Antietam and it was horrible to play and a meatgrinder of horrendous proportions. A lot better to have a 40k army and 15 or 20k manpower in the piggy bank to build back your army later on. I haven't reached Chancellorsvill yet, but basically the way I see it I should try never to exceed historical size or my army will eat itself trying to keep up in the face of massive autoscaled ennemy numbers.

At Saunder's Farm I had 59.000 deployed, my entire army. The battle after Chick. 

At Cold Harbor my army was 48.000. Do note that the deployment screen somehow counts your troops wrong. It says I have 53.000 but both the end results and a counting of the troops in my corps add up to 48.000.

On 4/4/2017 at 6:40 AM, Koro said:

At Cold Harbor my army was 48.000. Do note that the deployment screen somehow counts your troops wrong. It says I have 53.000 but both the end results and a counting of the troops in my corps add up to 48.000.

Yeah my CSA army was 48K as well.  However, I've cracked a way to get a Day 1 Victory on Cold Harbour Colonel Difficulty, so I only lost 4994 men.  XD

Basically you take all of your elite brigades and replenish them to 2000-2500 you deploy them all, you take the point (I found using the forest and then cutting through the middle of the Union formation) take the point, set up a cordon, and delay the Union as long as possible until you win. :D.

Note, it's key to get larger brigades with very good morale or else this strategy doesn't work. 

As for Union My army total was about 85K ish. I won with about half my men deployed

Edited by vren55

8 hours ago, Acika011 said:

I do think that the scalling is dumb. I wish there was a option that would make enemy armies have the same numbers they did IRL, so that you don't end up fighting against 120000 (50% more that there actually were) Union troops at Antietam.

Isn't that sort of what the fixed enemy option is?

Or do you mean on the harder levels too?