Game-Labs Forum

Number of Corps

Draluigi

Hey everyone,

So I was here in another thread cocking around being proud of having 5 corps in my CSA campaign. But after fredericksburg it doesn't seem like I can use them that much. Worse is that all the extra brigades that I don't use during a battle limited at 2 or 3 corps have the union numbers scale up.
So my question is : after fredericksburg, are all battles limited to 3 corps? Will I ever be able to use more than 24*3 = 72 brigades, or should I disband everything above that.

Alright thanks. I guess I'll keep my extra brigades, but I won't be creating anymore. WIth all the casualties they took at fredericksburg, I can single out enough very weak brigades so that my two last unusable corps for stone river only have 3500 men between them. But still I find it a bit frustrating to be able to create so many brigades and use them for one battle, and then having the rest of battles capped to 50-75 brigades.

Edited by Draluigi

Well otherwise all battles would become "all you can bring" slugfests. Part of the fun and replayability of the game is to make you play very different situations, ie the big and small and medium battles. you can always shuffle your brigades around anyway.

6 minutes ago, veji1 said:

Well otherwise all battles would become "all you can bring" slugfests. Part of the fun and replayability of the game is to make you play very different situations, ie the big and small and medium battles. you can always shuffle your brigades around anyway.

I would agree were it not for the fact that the enemy army scales up according to your whole force, not just what's deployed. I did shuffle my brigades but still have 3500 men I can't use for the battle, but that are accounted for in the calculation of enemy numbers.

Edited by Draluigi

Eh ? I don't the game scales small battles based on the fact that you have 60 000 men in your camp, meaning that suddenly a small battle where you are limited to 12 deployable brigades will see the AI bring 80 000 guys to the fray...

Well I heard it always scales up to your own numbers. But it is a smart scale so for side missions it knows you will only bring a third or so of your army. I actually dont really know i don't spend points in recon ^^. But I definately read that your entire army is taken into account

They changed the scaling in small battles. I have had problems with a side mission where you have a limited number of units and my Main army was too big. Before last patch the enemy scaled up to 2,5k each(3 star). In every replay i could find on you tube it was only 1,6k. After the patch i retried the same mission and enemy unit size decresead to also around 1600. At least it was possible now to reach victory 

Entire army is taken into account; just the multiplier that is calculated for the small battles is now different than the multiplier for the major battles. Meaning you will still be punished if you bring a 10 brigade corps whereas the small battle was expecting 15-20, because you have another 15-20 brigade corp that you could have brought.

The main reason the scaling is done this way, from what I can gather, is more technical than anything else; the game pre-loads all your unit data to avoid having to re-initialize the battlefield every time you change the corps you want to deploy (i.e. long load times). This is done for the sake of the low-performance computers.

10 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Entire army is taken into account; just the multiplier that is calculated for the small battles is now different than the multiplier for the major battles. Meaning you will still be punished if you bring a 10 brigade corps whereas the small battle was expecting 15-20, because you have another 15-20 brigade corp that you could have brought.

The main reason the scaling is done this way, from what I can gather, is more technical than anything else; the game pre-loads all your unit data to avoid having to re-initialize the battlefield every time you change the corps you want to deploy (i.e. long load times). This is done for the sake of the low-performance computers.

Far as I can tell and what I gathered from Koro, the previous patches had uncapped enemy brigade sizes due to a bug.  Now, once your army reaches a certain size, and depending on the battle, the enemy will stop growing in strength.  Which is nice - Crampton's Gap was quite hard facing nine, 2950-strong Vet 3 Infantry brigades, a pair of Vet 3 Skirmishers, and a pair of Vet 3 Artillery entrenched in heavy forest. : P

But yea, if you don't bring the maximum number of brigades to a battle, you're just nerfing yourself.

Edited by The Soldier

12 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Is it based on total manpower, or total number of extant brigades, or a combination of the two? How is it actually calculated? 

Short answer: both of those are inputs to the scaling function. Long answer: much more complicated than that. Those that are curious can look for the log files that are printing out debug information for the unit statistics that are loading into the game.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Soldier said:

Far as I can tell and what I gathered from Koro, the previous patches had uncapped enemy brigade sizes due to a bug.  Now, once your army reaches a certain size, and depending on the battle, the enemy will stop growing in strength.  Which is nice - Crampton's Gap was quite hard facing nine, 2950-strong Vet 3 Infantry brigades, a pair of Vet 3 Skirmishers, and a pair of Vet 3 Artillery entrenched in heavy forest. : P

But yea, if you don't bring the maximum number of brigades to a battle, you're just nerfing yourself.

This is accurate. There should be a cap on enemy size in the minor battles. 

On 3/8/2017 at 1:43 PM, Wandering1 said:

I imagine that they could scale it according to the largest amount of men you could possibly bring to an engagement. For example, if you have a 20 000 Corp and a 15 000 Corp, and the battle only allows you to bring 1 Corp, it would only scale according to the 20 000 man Corp. This way it wouldn't have to recalculate once you are in the battle screen.

Edited by CaptainKanundrum

2 hours ago, CaptainKanundrum said:

I imagine that they could scale it according to the largest amount of men you could possibly bring to an engagement. For example, if you have a 20 000 Corp and a 15 000 Corp, and the battle only allows you to bring 1 Corp, it would only scale according to the 20 000 man Corp. This way it wouldn't have to recalculate once you are in the battle screen.

Currently, the new maximums (which used to be 2950) get basically the same result now. So it's a bit of a moot point; it won't matter if you have a 15k Corp or a 20k Corp, if you hit the maximums, you can bring 'thicker' brigades to make the job easier. We'll just have to see if the new maximums make the minor battles too easy when you're throwing 2500 men brigades at 1600s.