Game-Labs Forum

union problem

dougbiv29

It is a little hard if you only use green troops, you will have to use a couple of brigades of veterans to back up the green ones. You also try to give them the best division and brigade commanders you can.(majors just make your green troops bullet magnets and not very good at even that) Try keeping the worst brigades out of the way, they will get experience just being on the field   If using green troops, don't stick them alone try using in 3's so both flanks of group are covered. It can help if you can upgrade rifles once the brigade commanders command stat has gotten over 35 or 40. Even Palmetto's are a better gun than what is originally issued.

Well, you know at camp when you create them,whether they are green or veterans, ....maybe you are still trying the opening battle with the train station. If that is the case you will just have to slow down until you understand the mechanics and consequences of troop movement. watch all the youtube videos you can stand. 

Also, are you fighting from cover? Try to never engage in the open as your no star rookies will be chopped to ribbons in the open. Try to always be fighting from trees - even a mere 40% cover bonus will massively improve your moral survivability. Keep your general close to provide a moral buff and use close range shell and canister fire from your cannons to trash the enemy first.

A sensible tactic is to have one unit in some sort of cover slightly forwards of it's supporting units. The AI will engage this one first and then you can move forwards your other units who are not in cover and they can fire at the engage enemy without suffering return fire.

You might also try detaching skirmishers to run around and put flanking / rear fire into your enemy's units or use shock cavalry to feint flank charges in an effort to make the enemy units rotate or reverse direction - thus exposing their flanks.

Also use the retreat button rather than issuing a move order or letting them break. They will take far FAR fewer casualties and moral damage from retreating, even across open ground. If you are going to retreat tell them to run so that they can get out of dodge as fast as possible.

And if you are going to retreat you might want to pop skirmishers to help shield your retreating unit from fire.

Good Luck General.

• Like 1

I just posted about this problem, my 2 and 3 star brigades were routed so quickly that I had no chance to rally them. I was playing 2nd Winchester and was using fortifications and woods for my brigades cover. I was able to see the CSA brigades moving into position but  before I could react I was being blitzed from all sides. My brigades routed and wouldn't respond to my general because the fire was so intense they started to run for the map edge. I tried to play a couple more times but the same thing happens over and over, quick blitz attacks my units run from.

Is this something that is only happening when you play from last save after Chancellorsville or will it happen with a new campaign? 

1 hour ago, dougbiv29 said:

im missing something. they still run. the ai is too good for me even on easy. thanks again though for the pointers. looks like im letting it go for now. too frustrating

Don't give entirely up .  Try the confederate side ... :)      (We have Chocolate on the dark side!)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

Don't give entirely up .  Try the confederate side ... :)      (We have Chocolate on the dark side!)

I'm currently in a CSA campaign where I tried to replicate the historical army (veteran style at least) with smaller brigades and elite troops. It's fairly hard to keep usable two star troops-- around 55k by Gettysburg. This is of course winning all major battles except drawing Chancellorsville to conserve manpower. Conclusion: casualties still need to be lowered a bit. Exp seems about right though 

Try watching videos of other players and follow what they're doing. The main thing is that troops should not be sitting in the open. If they're in cover they will take a lot less damage and not rout instantly.

As for dealing with flanking, you want nice clean lines of approach where you attack salients or enemy flanks, you don't generally want to dive into the middle of the enemy.

When your first corps comes on the map take at least one division to the far right, (their right, your left,) hold the attention of Porter's troops with the balance of your force without driving attacks. When Porter's troops are occupied, bring your division you sent to the right/left, down on their right fortifications, (make sure that division extends beyond their rear,) ultimately, the side your second corps will come in to reinforce.  When your third corps or the balance of your army comes in from the left drive them to reinforce your first corps. 

You should be able to roll up their flank, and keep driving down their trenches. Keep an eye out to the bottom right of the screen. 

Edited by A. P. Hill

On 17/02/2017 at 5:11 PM, A. P. Hill said:

On 17/02/2017 at 3:31 PM, dougbiv29 said:

im missing something. they still run. the ai is too good for me even on easy. thanks again though for the pointers. looks like im letting it go for now. too frustrating

Wait! Hold on! We have cake and ice cream for our side! Stick with the Union!! :P 

• Like 2