Game-Labs Forum

Maxed out Lieutenant Generals

Wright29

When a Lieutenant General's bar is maxed out, does it stop growing? I have Lee after Antietam and his bar starts completely full. Is there any purpose in developing him anymore like a higher rank or further benefits? What's the future plan for the game for generals who achieve the rank of Lieutenant General? Any feedback would be appreciated. 

While we're on the subject, I would love a full blown explanation of how the generals work, how they accumulate experience, and the best way to promote them. 

My brigade officers stripe up fast enough, but my Corps leaders gain XP at an attrociously slow rate. I'm thinking of putting my 'personal' general in charge of an elite brigade and keep him in the front line till he hits the third tier. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

27 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

My brigade officers stripe up fast enough, but my Corps leaders gain XP at an attrociously slow rate. I'm thinking of putting my 'personal' general in charge of an elite brigade and keep him in the front line till he hits the third tier. 

Yeah, tried that, they're bullet magnets for getting wounded, even when in charge of a Division. ;P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Yeah, tried that, they're bullet magnets for getting wounded, even when in charge of a Division. ;P

Suggestions? I try and keep him as close to the action as I can, but there's a lot going on and he's not always my biggest priority unless I need him to run down a broken brigade or there's a major hot spot on the line where I need him. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

Just now, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Suggestions? I try and keep him as close to the action as I can, but there's a lot going on and he's not always my biggest priority unless I have a brigade break or there's a major hot spot on the line where I need him. 

It's random, I'm just snarking that it seems like if you try to do things like that they seriously do always get wounded. I've never had a Corps commander get wounded, though, so that's at least a safe choice even if the XP gain isn't strictly the fastest.

• Like 1

Just now, Hitorishizuka said:

It's random, I'm just snarking that it seems like if you try to do things like that they seriously do always get wounded. I've never had a Corps commander get wounded, though, so that's at least a safe choice even if the XP gain isn't strictly the fastest.

Question, what happens when your 'pesonal' general dies? Does the game end? 

Just now, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Question, what happens when your 'pesonal' general dies? Does the game end? 

No idea. All indications are that you're just another general, though, so...

That actually might be interesting and quick to try. Swap your general into a tiny unit and on purpose get them shattered.

• Like 1

Yep, I've lost my General unit several times - it currently has no effect, other than losing his abilities on the battlefield. It usually happens when he and I are engaged in a battle of wills - my will to keep him close enough to the fight to do some good and his will to run away from any fight inside his command radius. :) Sometimes he runs the wrong way and gets gunned down. I've also had him get overrun by skirmishers and cavalry.

• Like 1

Just now, Aetius said:

Yep, I've lost my General unit several times - it currently has no effect, other than losing his abilities on the battlefield. It usually happens when he and I are engaged in a battle of wills - my will to keep him close enough to the fight to do some good and his will to run away from any fight inside his command radius. :) Sometimes he runs the wrong way and gets gunned down. I've also had him get overrun by skirmishers and cavalry.

Oh good, so it's not just my guy that behaves in strange and peculiar ways. Good to know!

2 hours ago, Koro said:

I don't think corps commanders can be killed BTW. They have sort of a hp bar and when it runs out, they'll disappear from the field but will still be there for the next battle. 

I'm curious about that - I know the game is still beta/early access and all that but it seems like there's something missing there? Is that something the devs haven't finished yet that should be triggering on when your General dies? There already is a wounded list for the other officers (and that can be a hilariously depressing read sometimes) but your created character never seems to appear on it. 

Sorry I should mention that I'm new here so I'm not really up on what's going and not going to be put in the final finished version? I know more battles are promised but not about any of the intended character developing parts or campaign mechanics.

I read somewhere from the devs that when your corps commanders unit gets wiped out your general is wounded but cannot be killed and returns to fitness for the next battle. I guess they did it this way to avoid the frustration of losing the game because your general got overrun by some skirmishers.

I would also like to know how they accumulate xp, currently my brigades rank up to major General so quickly but my div commanders do not gain xp nearly as fast.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

While we're on the subject, I would love a full blown explanation of how the generals work, how they accumulate experience, and the best way to promote them. 

This is the best way to level your personal general.

Brigades, with Corps commanders that  give +10% exp, gain experience way faster that the Corps commanders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clench said:

This is the best way to level your personal general.

Brigades, with Corps commanders that  give +10% exp, gain experience way faster that the Corps commanders. 

Hito was saying there is an abnormally high death rate among personal commanders fighting at Brigade and Division level. Have you found this to be true/ 

2 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Hito was saying there is an abnormally high death rate among personal commanders fighting at Brigade and Division level. Have you found this to be true/ 

Haha, no, sorry for any misunderstanding. I was saying at a meta level, it feels like they are bullet magnets, doing it is just asking for the game to start handing wounds out, but you don't notice as much if a non-notable general was the one who was wounded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koro said:

Not sure if you mean in game or not now. In game no, Irl? Pretty sure they died like flies. 

When someone earlier said a Corps commander never died, all I can see in my mind is the tree at Shiloh where Albert Sidney Johnson died. 

23 minutes ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Haha, no, sorry for any misunderstanding. I was saying at a meta level, it feels like they are bullet magnets, doing it is just asking for the game to start handing wounds out, but you don't notice as much if a non-notable general was the one who was wounded.

Ah, no. I thought you meant they WERE bullet magnets. 

And it wouldn't be the first time I restarted a battle because of a result I didn't like. <_<

2 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

There is just a really high chance for any brigade commander to get hit especially if you're rough with your men and they take lots of casualties.

It seems really random and a really high chance as well... seems like you'll have 1-3 wounded officers per minor engagement and probably double in the major engagements plus one or two deaths.

In the war, officers - particularly at the regimental level - had a much higher statistical chance of death.

And, there were numerous corps commanders who were killed in action or seriously wounded (Reno, Mansfield, Reynolds, Sedgewick come to mind on the Union side. Jackson, Polk, Hill, Stuart on the confederate though I am sure there are others I am forgetting). I believe Johnston and McPherson were the only army commanders to be killed though.