Game-Labs Forum

Overall Morale Feature during battle

At this moment 'Morale' is used only in 'Boarding', but as the game is focusing to be more and more realistic (to some extent) it would be wise to apply 'Morale" during battle itself, while exchanging cannon fire, this is how i would see it:

1. 'Overall Morale' bar for each ship (simmiliar to armor), standard Upgrades and Ships grade/features affecting how high it is (the same as in boarding) - maximum level.
2. Morale drops (current value) slightly as soon as ship receives damage, crew damage or catches fire. The more damage is applied in very short period of time - few ships focusing broadsides at one target - the more morale drops.
3. 'Shock' effects provide instant decrease of current 'Overall Morale' by larger ammount.
4. Morale replenishes over time to starting/maximum level. Severe ship/crew damage, actions of enemy ships like capturing (boarding), sinking, escaping of allied ships lower the maximum level. Actions of allied ships in battle like capturing (boarding), sinking, escaping of enemy ships provide some restoration of current morale. Allied/Enemy 'Battle Rating' ratio might be considered into calculation.
5. If current 'Overall Morale' drops to zero ship automatically surrenders.
6. 'Brace' button provides instant boost to current 'Overall Morale'.
7. Optional: If morale gets very low, crew response is slower on all actions (cannons reload, yard turning, sails, etc..)

You can't fight being alone against many ships and expect that you crew will not mutiny or abandon ship under heavy fire, especially when they see allied ships sunk, captured or fleeing battle.

Edited by Darayavahus
  • Like 7

Morale should also increase for each "shock" dealed to an ennemy: demast, crew shock, kill, assist. 

I think your suggestion would help the game in a sense that atm, nearly no one surrender before sunk or captured except when you are fully demasted or turned into a ghost ship. This would reduce the useless never-ending battles with the opponent fight till the last, then complain about crew cost.

• Like 1

It's just an Suggestion. Basicly right now it is possible for

Just now, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

.....nearly no one surrender before sunk or captured except when you are fully demasted or turned into a ghost ship....

Exactly that's the point of my suggestion. Some battles (massacres) are just pointless when someone does not want to surrender. It's illogical and not historically accurate.

I've always thought this was a surprising omission from NA. A captain should always be aware of the morale of his crew during battle. It defies human nature to be able to order your last 2 crewmen to ignore the carnage around them and keep trimming sail and loading cannon. Very arcade feeling.

I agree that it should definitely be a two-way street with morale rising and falling depending on events in the battle.

Late in the game but I hope it can be considered before release.

Also Morale should be dependant on the allies you have around you, even tho your ship may have sustained quite alot of damage(lowered morale) it may have several undamaged or light damaged allied ships close by that would boost your crews morale, reverse effect if your left alone and no allied ship is near enough to help you against overwhelming enemy ships damaging broadsides (lowering your ships morale) ofc.

Also, It should be implemented that any surrendered ship may see fit to undo its surrender if left alone and the enemy loses/or withdraws from the battle.

I would be inclined to surrender my ship to save crew and possible durability if there was a chance for allied ships to win the battle and my ship would be allowed to hoist my flag again. Does not make sense to lose a Durability if your ship is recaptured and returned to you by your allies or just left there to be a ghost ship until the battle ends and your allies prevails.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Niagara said:

Also Morale should be dependant on the allies you have around you....

Simply BR calculation included into maximum Morale level, plus some variance based on ships sunk/escaped/captured (boarded)/surrendered.

I have updated my OP with little bit more detail and your suggestions.

Edited by Darayavahus
  • Like 1