Game-Labs Forum

Regional Bonuses Need a Rework:

Instead of needing to be at a specific port to craft a ship with a regional bonus, you need a specific craftable material which can only be crafted in specific regions.  For example:

Pirate Refit:  100 pirate dabloons

Spanish Refit:  100 Spanish Escudo

British Refit:  100 pound Sterling

French Refit:  100 French Livre

Strong Hull:  100 Live Oak Planking parts

Same goes for all other materials for regional bonuses.  

This would make materials needed for crafting ships with specific regional bonuses tradeable and you would not need to have an outpost at a specific port to get a regional bonus.  Trade is good for the economy of the game.  

Also, some of these regional bonuses could use some rebalancing, and stacking of specific bonuses should not be allowed.  For example, you cannot have speed with pirate refit or regional speed, and you cannot have stiffness or build strength with regional strong hull.

I would really like to see more build diversity in ships rather than the same cookie cutter build strength regional strong hull for port battle ships and double stacking speed with pirate refit or regional speed.  

Also, whats up with the useless regional bonuses like regional explorer, regional reload, regional pump, regional build strength, regional accuracy.  They all have counter options which are strictly better, so no one is ever going to use these regional bonuses.  

Edited by Yar Matey
  • Like 7

To many alts and such so it would just end up being just like the fine woods.   I like the current refit thing myself, but maybe since people complain about the capitals all capitals shoud give the natiosn regiona bonus.  Not sure what the Sedes and others would be, maybe the Northern Carpenter for the Dutch/Danes?     Some of thoe aren't useless when you only have those regions to use and not one of the better ones.  The ones you added should all be major regions people will fight over.  now the ones I think are uselss are the ones with no bonus at all.  Thouse should really be made netural regions every one can use. or something.  That way it gives low pop nations a region to buid in other than there capital.

PS lets wait until the next big patch as I think the ship crafting changes will pretty much help with some of these things your talkign about.

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

To many alts and such so it would just end up being like fine woods.

People with Alts are always going to have an advantage.  If you have an alt, you already can build ships 2x faster than someone without an alt and you can build ships in enemy ports and then give the ship to yourself on your main account.  Fine woods sucked because 1) rng to get the wood, and 2). Too much traveling around the world to get it.

I would argue that my suggested method is better for people without alts because as a Swedish player on PvP1 or an American player on PvP2 I cannot ever build a ship with pirate refit right now, but people with Alts can.  With my suggested method, I could maybe sneak into Mortimer town and buy some dabloons so I can craft myself a pirate refit, or maybe trade with a pirate at a free town for some meterial he may want for a trim on his ship.  Overal, the more trade going on in the game, the better the economy and gameplay experience is for everyone.  

• 1 month later...

Giving this a bump, because I am starting to realize that owning a Region simply to get a regional bonus is causing Regions to be way too important in the game.  Lose the Region where you craft your ships, and you and your nation are crippled, especially if you lose your strong hull region.  You will be playing with inferior ships until you capture the region back.

Recently the Danes lost their Strong hull Region to the Americans, now they cant build strong hull ships for a while or they need to spend weeks moving resources from where they are setup to build ships to a new strong hull region.  

Please consider my OP proposal.  

Edited by Yar Matey