Game-Labs Forum

While we wait for Fredericksburg

Koro

2 hours ago, Koro said:

If you choose to go for prospect Hill, you can send 6-7 brigades as a distracting corps to the very edge of the map at the south and draw the AI forces there. Keep everyone else in reserve. Then once the engagement start close to the vp, you can gate crash the center and go for the small clearing and get behind them at the Vp. 

That's so much mess...Prospect Hill is really easy to take. Just walk through the woods on the east and you can push straight through Stuart's cavalry and force them off the map. Then do a clockwise wheel until your forces are aligned N-S and push straight west until the woodline and the VP. It's easy to outshoot half of the Confederate brigades since they'll all be in the open, then you can keep wheeling and use brigades in forest on the northern part to attract fire as you keep rolling around and focusing and pushing back the new corners. You'll run out of time by then but the VP will be secure. You only need maybe 10-15 brigades for this, the rest you can leave up north anyway and have them join the next map.

3 hours ago, Koro said:

Maryes Heights can be taken 1 entrenchment at a time, storm in to melee with as many brigades as possible.

Same thing, so messy...just leave a few decoy brigades in the city and run everyone to the far north. You can push through the two brigades in the tree barricades since you're just close enough to use building cover and then start walking straight down the Confederate line N-S. Eventually you can threaten to pocket them. Once phase 2 starts, just rush a couple mid sized brigades south to the river to catch reinforcements shifting from Telegraph right when they're crossing and easy pickings while you're finishing the collapse of the rest of the northern Confederates.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to playing Fredericksburg as Union.  Actually was able to win on my first attempt.  Normal difficulty. 

I totally ignored the extreme south / phase one, instead moving two corps up to the top of that first map.  Rolled up Maryes Heights starting on the Confederate right (union left), charged the first earthworks and then got into the confederate rear.  

Telegraph road phase, i used the two corps I had not used earlier and attacked the confederate left.  it is pretty slow going but once you get to the road you can shoot a division up there and cut them in half.  

AI actually swung around my rear and into the town to try to attack me that way but that was futile.  

Screenshot (23).png

I kind of feel like the end part of the historical battle here is poorly execute by darth, I think it was due to the map being cut in half due to performance issues but sometimes my units at the bottom of the map make in on to the final part other times they dont seems really wired.

3 hours ago, Nox165 said:

I kind of feel like the end part of the historical battle here is poorly execute by darth, I think it was due to the map being cut in half due to performance issues but sometimes my units at the bottom of the map make in on to the final part other times they dont seems really wired.

There'll be an extra phase in the coming patch that includes the entire left side. 

On 29/12/2016 at 11:00 PM, James Cornelius said:

Having played it now, I agree that Fredericksburg is quite beatable as the Union - both in the historical battle and campaign. I expected it to be much trickier; I found the Confederate Antietam to be harder.

I found Fredricksburg much harder then Antietam. Even when I flanked the rebs they barely took any damage. I mean I still won, but it was a mess.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

I found Fredricksburg much harder then Antietam. Even when I flanked the rebs they barely took any damage. I mean I still won, but it was a mess.

the key to this is to go for their center in the woods, a bit north of prospect hill, they only have two brigades there to stop you. From there you can split their army in two and grind your way through prospect hill.

At Maryes Heights the best way to get at em imo is to flank south with two divisions and overrun them.

PS : Found a few lectures of Allen Guelzo, the guy you quoted on youtube and he is quite a fascinating man, thanks for the discovery. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

the key to this is to go for their center in the woods, a bit north of prospect hill, they only have two brigades there to stop you. From there you can split their army in two and grind your way through prospect hill.

At Maryes Heights the best way to get at em imo is to flank south with two divisions and overrun them.

PS : Found a few lectures of Allen Guelzo, the guy you quoted on youtube and he is quite a fascinating man, thanks for the discovery. 

Ah! Was this before or after the last patch? I don't recall that hill (the Telegraph Road) being available for attack until after Mayre's Heights in the original version we got. Or am I missing something?

Wonderful to hear! :D Guezlo is an extraordinary scholar, and his lectures are highly profitable, especially those on President Lincoln! If you'd like some more recommendations, just let me know :).

7 hours ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

Which part of the battle did you have problems with? My strategy's at the top of the page, didn't have any problems that way.

10 hours ago, Mr. Mercanto said:

Ah! Was this before or after the last patch? I don't recall that hill (the Telegraph Road) being available for attack until after Mayre's Heights in the original version we got. Or am I missing something?

Wonderful to hear! :D Guezlo is an extraordinary scholar, and his lectures are highly profitable, especially those on President Lincoln! If you'd like some more recommendations, just let me know :).

Its not Telegraph Road but the hill between prospect hill and telegraph road, there's no VP there but only a wooden hill with two palisades... and two brigades to defend it. Its separated from prospect hill by a small dirt road.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198047221884/screenshot/100600599556520145 (this is from the previous setup of Fredericksburg when the map was cut differently but this hill is still available in the current version of Prospect Hill scenario)

Thanks for the advice I will come bvack to you in due time. So far I've been mostly digging Frank O Reilly's lectures and I also enjoy Matt Atkinsons (Gettysburg park rangers) tours a lot as it really enables you to picture what happened there. 

• Like 1