Game-Labs Forum

Auction House and AFK protection

First I'd like to say thank you for the delivery missions.  I ask long ago for something like this and I'm glad it's here.  A couple of suggestion...

AFK protection: This might be controversial but the fact of the matter is whether we like it or not we're going to sail AFK at longer distances.  I don't think it should be too easy for the attackers when in combat, so perhaps there should be something in place like an "auto-sails" perk.  When battle begins your sails raise automatically without command. It buys time and is more realistic to have your officer command sails while you as the captain are not around.

Auction House: I'm curious how valuable an auction house would be at a remote location. A port battle for to win an opportunity to list rare ships for anyone to  bid on. Something to think about at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merovingian said:

First I'd like to say thank you for the delivery missions.  I ask long ago for something like this and I'm glad it's here.  A couple of suggestion...

AFK protection: This might be controversial but the fact of the matter is whether we like it or not we're going to sail AFK at longer distances.  I don't think it should be too easy for the attackers when in combat, so perhaps there should be something in place like an "auto-sails" perk.  When battle begins your sails raise automatically without command. It buys time and is more realistic to have your officer command sails while you as the captain are not around.

Auction House: I'm curious how valuable an auction house would be at a remote location. A port battle for to win an opportunity to list rare ships for anyone to  bid on. Something to think about at least.

Regarding AFK protection:

No, just no.

If you sail AFK, you knowingly place the safety of your ship in jeopardy.

If you sail AFK and get jumped, then there is no one to blame but yourself.

If you want to go AFK without the possibility that someone can jump your ship, then open a character on the PVE server.  There you can sail AFK for as long as you want to and not have to worry about someone attacking you.

Regarding an "auction house", such a thing already exists.

It's called the "Ship" market and there is one in every port in the game.

National capital ports tend to have the most ships for sale, including 'rare' ones.

Edited by Chijohnaok
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Merovingian said:

Not sure this is good for gameplay but have to agree: when tag usually ships are moving so they should moving with same speed and direction when battle starts. Not sure how hard this could be to implement in game but maybe worth to test it at some point? 

21 minutes ago, Elouda said:

An actual auction system allowing bidding and buy-out at set prices as an addition to the current market for ships could certainly be interesting however.

This concept I could see working in the following manner:

I could place a contact in a (that is one port) for a ship, and a price that I would be willing to pay for it.  My contract could list the specific traits that I want in the ship (ex. 1 Live Oak, Build Strength Constitution of exceptional quality with 3 permanent and 5 upgrade slots.  And that I would be willing to pay 3 million gold for said ship).

Ship crafters could see my contract, and then decide if they desired to craft such a ship for the agreed price.  By implication, ship crafters could see my purchase contract and then PM me directly if they were interested in making  a counter offer to me (for example, crafting the ship but for a different price).

2 hours ago, Chijohnaok said:

This concept I could see working in the following manner:

I could place a contact in a (that is one port) for a ship, and a price that I would be willing to pay for it.  My contract could list the specific traits that I want in the ship (ex. 1 Live Oak, Build Strength Constitution of exceptional quality with 3 permanent and 5 upgrade slots.  And that I would be willing to pay 3 million gold for said ship).

Ship crafters could see my contract, and then decide if they desired to craft such a ship for the agreed price.  By implication, ship crafters could see my purchase contract and then PM me directly if they were interested in making  a counter offer to me (for example, crafting the ship but for a different price).

That's certainly one way that would work (moreso a 'contract build' than an auction though). I was thinking something more along the lines of something like the current store, except you would put it up with a starting price, and a duration (or it could be fixed). Others could then bid on it, with some minimum amount to raise by based on current bid, with the winner getting the ship at the end of the auction. The ship could be claimable from some screen like filled contracts.

46 minutes ago, Elouda said:

That's certainly one way that would work (moreso a 'contract build' than an auction though). I was thinking something more along the lines of something like the current store, except you would put it up with a starting price, and a duration (or it could be fixed). Others could then bid on it, with some minimum amount to raise by based on current bid, with the winner getting the ship at the end of the auction. The ship could be claimable from some screen like filled contracts.

That could work also, but I would limit the visibility of these auctions/contracts to one port.

You should not be able to put up such an auction/contract from where you are in a port, and have that seen by players in every port from the Windward Islands to Texas, from Bermuda to The Yucatán. That would be unrealistic during the time period of this game.

LOL

But I'm not laughing at the afk protection idea, it is an interesting idea in the sense that it questions the whole afk sailing "feature" we enjoy. Almost everyone gets bored with the repetitive longs hauls, many vocal posters try to impress upon us that the boring gameplay is very important to the game... somehow.

I've never, ever enjoyed even a second of any part of the eco gameplay, so I try to tread somewhat carefully (heh) in order not to shit on someone elses fun.

In weak moments I imagine we're all deluding ourselves; That noone enjoys hauling and those that defend it are just privateers hoping to get lucky once in a blue moon. How sad we would be if we collectively forced eachother to do a thing noone wants to.

Then I pull myself together and remind myself of what Kaos (or was it Schuetzengel?) once laconically pointed out to me: People literally pay to do things I consider boring. I gotta believe that those that get their rocks off hauling stuff exist... I gotta believe.

4 hours ago, Chijohnaok said:

That could work also, but I would limit the visibility of these auctions/contracts to one port.

You should not be able to put up such an auction/contract from where you are in a port, and have that seen by players in every port from the Windward Islands to Texas, from Bermuda to The Yucatán. That would be unrealistic during the time period of this game.

Totally agreed. As said, I don't think it should work any differently from the current shop in terms of visibility. Maybe some argument could be made that you could see auctions in the same region, but would still have to sail to the port its at to bid.