Game-Labs Forum

Upgrade Slots

A suggestion to developers. I would ask that you consider giving an equal number of upgrade slots for all ships regardless of the quality of the ship. 

The difference being - all permanent upgrades have to match or be of lower quality of the ship they are being installed upon.

EXAMPLE: A Fine quality ship can only install a Fine, Common, or Basic quality Reinforced Masts, but nothing above a Fine quality Reinforced Masts upgrade. The same would apply to any and all Permanent upgrades.

This still gives an advantage to the better quality ship. 

The better quality ship, with it's being able to install better quality upgrades should, by itself, give that ship ample enough advantage over a lesser quality ship with lesser quality upgrades.

This would also add more emphasis on the skill of the player instead of on the number of upgrade slots available to him, something that many long time Naval Action players have lobbied for.

The same number of Regular upgrade slots should also be available to all ships. regardless of the quality of the ship.

How does the difference in the quality of two identical ships, say two Surprise's, have any bearing whatsoever on one ship being able to have a Steel Toolbox or Marines or Pellew's Sights on board, and not the other? They both have the same dimensions and cargo space so why the difference? Seems illogical and unrealistic to me.

I hope the developers will consider these ideas.

• Like 4

A suggestion to developers. I would ask that you consider giving an equal number of upgrade slots for all ships regardless of the quality of the ship. 

I like this without the limitation on upgrade quality. It would "cheapen" the golden ships in some people's eyes, I'm sure, but it would be good for competitive play. It would make the gap between new and old, rich and poor less severe.

Admin has partly mentioned something like this already, 3 slots among all ships of all qualities might already be planned.

Ship quality will still matter as the last few percentage points of performance, but this would make golden ships less of an auto-win tool = good. I will be a lot more inclined to use vanilla ships if all slots are created equal, and at the same time I will still have the motivation to do everything I can to get hold of fine woods.

Edited by jodgi
spelling
  • Like 1