Game-Labs Forum

pvp tactics-Take out the biggest threat first or the smaller threats?

Just wanted to get some ideas on tactics i have seen done when entering a large pvp battle. i'm on pvp 2.

This is the scenario: you are in a fleet with larger numbers attacking a smaller fleet with larger ships, lets say over twenty ships in your fleet, 3 class 2's, 4 class 3's, and the rest smaller. 4's and 5th rates. attacking 5 first rates and about five other ships smaller of any size, no smaller than a 5th rate, 

i have seen three or so battles like this and the larger ships just clean up, every group tactic i have seen attacks the first rates first, even target just one of them, i think this is wrong. we never got the first rate down less than half, before he is lost in the mix. i want to put the word out that the larger fleet should take out the smaller ships first until its around twenty to the five first rates, that is the only way captains in the bigger fleet stand a chance to take out the bigger ships, can only be done without the smaller ships firing on you.

What do you think, can the larger fleet with smaller ships even win at all?

• Like 1

What do you think, can the larger fleet with smaller ships even win at all?

Yes, and imho I believe taking out all the smaller ships first is the way to go. The reason being is that you stay out of the way of broadsides with larger ships and once the smaller ships are out of the way from wrecking your sails, you then can concentrate on an even smaller force and wreck the SoLs sails until they can't move any more and then just stern camp them til their crew is manageable to board.

Every time we have tried the other way, we get our sails wrecked by the smaller ships and the bigger ships and then you end up looking like a bunch of war canoes.

mUQZVKG.jpg

Of course it can. In fact I've been in smaller ship/large fleet VS larger ship/small fleet battles before and we (the smaller ships) have won. Use your numerical superiority to your advantage.

It's all about maximizing the efficiency of focus fire and using maneuverability to your advantage. A good way to look at this is being upwind of your enemy. That way YOU dictate the battle because the larger ships cannot turn right into you. Once this upwind advantage has been achieved, you can work on focus fire. You can do this by enveloping and isolating single groups of 2-3 ships at a time. Your numbers work for you here. You can replace damaged ships with fresh ships at the front, while they cannot. 

Some specific ship tactics could be to use double charge against significantly heavier ships, as it will penetrate heavier hulls.

This was more of advice than direct orders. Every combat situation differs and different tactics may need to be implemented to compensate. 

Edited by Lord Cutler Beckett

Always remove as many guns as you can as fast as you can.

This means sinking smaller ships first if possible. It not only removes cannons, it lowers moral, and keeps smaller ships from causing kaos from ramming blocking bumping etc.

Lesser small ships can quickly even the odds doing this.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 1

I'm with HOBO on the fact you need to take into account more than one thing.  There are times you need to take the little guys out fast (you have SOL's they can stern camp) than other times it's best to just ignore them and sink the big boys.  To many people pop there sail repairs to fast when they are in brawling fights.  You can still manage that ship in a lot of cases with damage.  Than if you sink that other big ship and pop your sail repair those little ships no longer have there big guns helping them and have to run.   That and I like to put a broad side of chain into small ships in a chase cause it tends to drop there sails fast and take them out of the fight.  A good broad side does this to the crew too when your using way bigger guns against them.   

It's like we love the fact when some one brings a bunch of AI.  While the AI will be hitting our sails as we sink the players.  They are also running into every one and getting into the way and some times even shooting ships on there own team trying to hit other ships.  AI fleets aren't all ways the best thing to have.