Game-Labs Forum

Battle Commander

I was thinking about the addition of a battle commander in Port Battles and maybe bigger PvP battles, someone who can coordinate the battle and give directions using the game interface instead of giving orders over TS. This would make it easier, and maybe less frustrating to some to have non TS players (I know everybody should have it, but some just don't want to or can't) in a battle.

I would assume that when the port battles changes with the fortresses added and the victory points etc, as have been mentioned in a dev post some months ago, that tactics and communication will be even more important to have a succesfull PB. A commander could appoint himself in battle, and would require people to vote yes or no, and when a majority votes yes, he could use the pre port battle timer to put ships in a certain group, and maybe move them around (front, center, rear) by himself to get the perfect set up. He can give groups an order, maybe with a visual indication when you open the map using arrows and symbols.

This would remove any potential language barriers, would remove the need to be on TS, however still recomended, and could be more "clear" to everybody as not everybody is familiar with all naval terms. Could remove potential frustration amongst players who are not in a clan or in the same clan, and at the same time make it more accesible to players who have never done a PB. It would also give for better tactics and better PB's all around.

I would even go as far as giving a commander a better overview over the battlefield. I would restrics to visual indications on a map, and no indications on the battlefield (to keep it somewhat realistic). The commander could even change the tactics depending on the situation during the battle.

I say this because I would assume that any major attack, like a port battle, would have been heavily discussed/briefed by the captains before the start, and I know they used flag signals to give orders down the line. You could say, well captains should just discuss every PB on TS before they start, but the truth is that you don't know who's going to end up in the PB or who's going to get cought out by a screening fleet. Sometimes random people join, and other people who should have been in, can't get in.

During battle, another map to read, another set of symbols indicating who goes where, is another distraction.  And one more low-need routine for the Devs to program.  

Voice is the 'go to' command channel, has been for thousands of years.

Use Teamspeak and accept a leader, even if you rotate leadership for training purposes.

If English is a challenge, sail with your countrymen or learn English (as international pilots must do today).

~ HK ~

Yankee Trader

US Coast Guard Militia

PvP One EU

During battle, another map to read, another set of symbols indicating who goes where, is another distraction.  And one more low-need routine for the Devs to program.  

Voice is the 'go to' command channel, has been for thousands of years.

Use Teamspeak and accept a leader, even if you rotate leadership for training purposes.

If English is a challenge, sail with your countrymen or learn English (as international pilots must do today).

~ HK ~

Yankee Trader

US Coast Guard Militia

PvP One EU

You haven't read the OP properly. The tool is needed for those who is calling the battle.

As a member of a team, you still need to pay attention to directions given on TS and do your best with your ship.

The minimap is there to show where your commander wants you or your group to go, thats it